Anyone familiar with Czech made Mauser bayonets?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
RZM

Anyone familiar with Czech made Mauser bayonets?

Post by RZM »

I have a Czech built Mauser bayonet. Marked CSZ over E. Cutting edge faces up. On the scabbard it has a small stamp with a M in the center of a square. The mark on the pommel is partially worn but looks like F5 then underneath the number 8565 . Any ideas as to the general date of manufacture? From what I could find on these the markings on the pommel are unit info. At anyrate it's dead on for a K98 Mauser bayonet unil I can pick up an original.
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
dixiedrummer

Re: Anyone familiar with Czech made Mauser bayonets?

Post by dixiedrummer »

To be honest, they aren't really that close to the K98 bayonet. Originals 98 bayonets are plentiful, and until you can find one, I'd rather see somebody use a repro 98 bayonet than a czech one. If it has a mounting ring, I would be sure to cut that off too. I would check svmilitaria. They had some in stock not that long ago.
RZM

Post by RZM »

Ok awesome,thanks for the advice. Without the ring it looks very similar I thought. I soppose I can butcher it to make a decent fighting knife...
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

:cry: Please do not 'butcher'it,it still is a collectable.The czech vz 24 was issued with muzzle rings to the german army and also some were altered at the time by removing the ring,they have german and czech markings.Bayonets made under german control without the muzzle ring,bearing only german manufacturing codes(usually 'dot' for the Brno factory)and inspection marks of the waffenamt.John
Checked another book,CSZ is the czech state armory.The germans stopped manufacture in 1943,the czechs started production again in 1946 and continued into the 1950's for export.Two digit dates of manufacture can be found on the blade,the tang edge on the hilt,or the flat frog stud in conjuction with"E" or ZI'(lion)(date)markings,the dates may range from 1923 to 1950's.
There is also a model vz33,but not as common as the vz24.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
RZM

Post by RZM »

I'm unsure what the date of manufacture is on this one. If you look on the edge of the frog stud it's says ER 22441,on the surface it has a small stamp, M inside a square. The Pommel has a stamp but the first letter is worn. Either a F or a E followed by the number 5. Below that the number 8565. This one has the ring.
CSZ
E. On the Ricasso. Perhaps if I can get the grip studs out the tang is stamped.
"Was ist das?"

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”