Opinions please...the more the better..

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
RZM

Opinions please...the more the better..

Post by RZM »

I LOVE Coffee....that being said..im sure soldats really enjoyed a hot cup when permited as well. Creature comfort as it were..so in your opinions,if a soldat came accross a french press coffee maker,say in a bombed out house,would that be an item of opertunity he would take?
The french press was invented in the 1930's so it is a period correct item. I know had i come across one i would surely have picked it up and lashed it to my kit or stashed it in my Brotbutel...how say ye?
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
peiper1944

Re: Opinions please...the more the better..

Post by peiper1944 »

Coffee was a luxury item in Germany and "ersatz" coffee was issued which was made
from ground acorns apparantly as obviously coffee from Brazil etc was no longer allowed
due to import problems etc, although early War portrayal maybe ??

I have seen original German issued coffee grinders etc which are small pieces of kit which
can be carried, the same size as a pepper grinder, but it depends on the size, a soldier
wouldn't want to lug around a piece of kit he may not use because he hasn't any coffee
to put in it lol,

Although if you were thinking of having it for your camp set up/diorama then why not
lol.....basically a large item to carry around i would say no but if it is for a static
camp set up then imho yes

Good luck with it, Pipes :wink:
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
RZM

Post by RZM »

Ok cool..they have some small stainless single cup models,which realistically are only a couple ounces..and i figured for camp life it would be nice to have. Far better than the US G.I. method of brewing in a sock lmao!
(Extra flavor ;) ) My portrayal is early war. I gave up drinking as ive got a bit of a booze problem..3 months sober..prior to me putting the drink down id have just carried a flask of schnapps and called it good lol.. thanks for the opinion Pieper :)
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

No probs kamerad, i will try to help anyone who asks :wink:
As i said imho if the item is too big to carry it would be ideal for a camp set-up,
aslong as it is a period looking piece of kit
Goodluck, Pipes
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
soest

Post by soest »

When I was in the army I carried the equipment I was supposed to carry and also various other bits "that were useful or nice to have" for example a spare water bottle (you can NEVER have enough water), petrol cooker etc etc.

The golden rule was if I wanted to take it I could but I would have to carry it along with everything else.

I would apply that rule to any impression I'm doing as well as the "If I get stopped by the FG 1. will they notice it, and 2. Will I get away with carrying it?" and if I have to fight will it get in the way? As much as I love coffee I'd rather be alive to enjoy it than dead because I couldn't run fast enough with a "Baby Burco" boiler hanging off my Y straps....

If its too big to carry practically in your bread bag etc then I don't see it would be a problem in a camp display. After all the rest of the guy's in your Zug would probably enjoy a coffee as well so pooling the coffee ration may well happen.

Soest
RZM

Post by RZM »

Awesome thank you Soest,appreciate the feedback...i also thought of just doing the turkish method,which a soldat may have picked up from a vet of the 1st great war. Simply put water,grounds,and sugar into the messtin,heat,and pour unto your cup.(a table spoon of cold water over the top settles the grit to the bottom of the cup) just dont drink the bottom lol!
"Was ist das?"
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Same here, when I was in the Canadian forces. Carried what gear I had to, then we were allowed to carry custom or personal gear as well, not many people did it, but some did. As a recruit it wasn't allowed however, but then after graduation, no big deal. I carried a Swiss rain poncho at all times, heavy sucker, but only thing that went over all my gear and myself as well and kept me DRY! As an officer, I didn't carry the regulation pistol, but a Walther P-38 with German WWII leather holster, few commented, those that did just asked if they could shoot it at the range.

For my impression, I carry regulation stuff but with some extra personal orienteering items, which I'm sure most did.

If you can carry it, go ahead, it's your burden.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
RZM

Post by RZM »

Awesome,thanks for the feedback..a couple ounces dosnt seem like much. But,i soppose in war a couple extra ounces could mean life and death. Especially if you arent in a mobilized unit and have to hike everything. I think ill go the turkish route for in field. And for dioramas,or static camp life,the french press would be a nice little commodity.
Lol..on a side note,before i gave up drinking,I was fully intending to use a large ammo crate to hide a cooler in and stock it with Chemey and affligem. Both come in period correct bottles.(cork and all) I truely loved Belgian Trappist ales. Chemey blue label being my fave. lol..good grief.
"Was ist das?"
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Starting to sound like your battle will become a BBQ reenactment event....shame
Arthur

RZM

Post by RZM »

Oberleutnant Ulrich wrote:Starting to sound like your battle will become a BBQ reenactment event....shame
*Hangs head* Bad soldat! BAD! Lol...Ive cleaned my act up since then. Member of AA. Been sober 3 months. Everything i did revolved around alcohol..now looking back,thats exactly what would have happened.
Today im headlong into this hobby and view it as a living history hobby. I can hold myself to a far higher standard now.
Nien bier,nien drogen! Diese Dinge sind ganz verboten!
"Was ist das?"
Oberleutnant Ulrich

I'm only teasing ;)

You can still have your BBQ but in German style, a bier perhaps or some ersatz coffee/tea warming by the fire, while grilling some meat on an open fire or warning a can of meat next to the fire as you try to toast some stale bread. Doesn't sound like much, but when sitting there with 3 other good Kameraden...life seems so good with these simple pleasure.
Arthur

RKrieger

Post by RKrieger »

I have a small Italian espresso maker, 1 cup, fits in my mess tin along with a small tin of coffee and a small tin of Sugar. Ezbit brews it up in about 4 minutes. I don't leave home without it.
RZM

Post by RZM »

Sounds like fun for sure. Ill stick with the coffee lol..in ny internet explorations i found http://www.reprorations.com
Im most deffinately getting some of these items. Isernportion items and a few extras like erbwerst,and coffee items...some hartkeks ect .. pretty cool site. Although,as far as authenticity,i dont know..most rations didnt have labels from what i understand. It was rare at least. So a full pack of labeled canned goods i imagine would look off?
"Was ist das?"
RZM

Post by RZM »

RKrieger wrote:I have a small Italian espresso maker, 1 cup, fits in my mess tin along with a small tin of coffee and a small tin of Sugar. Ezbit brews it up in about 4 minutes. I don't leave home without it.
Thats a route i hadnt thought of. What do the kamerads in your Zug think of it ? Pretaining to authenticity?
"Was ist das?"
RKrieger

Post by RKrieger »

RZM wrote:
RKrieger wrote:I have a small Italian espresso maker, 1 cup, fits in my mess tin along with a small tin of coffee and a small tin of Sugar. Ezbit brews it up in about 4 minutes. I don't leave home without it.
Thats a route i hadnt thought of. What do the kamerads in your Zug think of it ? Pretaining to authenticity?
The Bialetti coffee maker was patented in Italy in 1933, went into mass production after 1940 in italy.

Certainly the items are part of the material culture in Europe at the time.'

mine is a small Bialetti maker that was produced in 1942.. so it's an original... so i donno, how authentic is that?

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”