Austrian Y strap modification

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
RZM

Austrian Y strap modification

Post by RZM »

Came across a set of Stolla Wien Austrian Y straps made in 63'. The three obvious diffrences are the padded shoulder straps,the 3 way conncetor for the straps rather than the wartime ring,and the extra loop above the D ring on the shoulder straps.
So far,ive managed to remove the extra loop above both D ring,and ive removed the modern 3 way connector and replaced it with a ring.
My question here is,that behind the connector ring is a leather backing..Does anyone have any close up photos they could post so i can see what it looks like and how it attaches?
(The padding im planing on covering with maybey berlap tied down with twine,or perhaps canvas,any thoughts here would be appreciated. Ive heard that soldats somtimes padded their Y straps in the field,any photos of this would help too..Danke!)
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
m1steelpot

Re: Austrian Y strap modification

Post by m1steelpot »

RZM wrote:Came across a set of Stolla Wien Austrian Y straps made in 63'. The three obvious diffrences are the padded shoulder straps,the 3 way conncetor for the straps rather than the wartime ring,and the extra loop above the D ring on the shoulder straps.
So far,ive managed to remove the extra loop above both D ring,and ive removed the modern 3 way connector and replaced it with a ring.
My question here is,that behind the connector ring is a leather backing..Does anyone have any close up photos they could post so i can see what it looks like and how it attaches?
(The padding im planing on covering with maybey berlap tied down with twine,or perhaps canvas,any thoughts here would be appreciated. Ive heard that soldats somtimes padded their Y straps in the field,any photos of this would help too..Danke!)
Converted austrian y-straps are turbofarb.

The only salvageable parts are the front hooks and some of the hardware.

You're best off buying new made repros.
STEIGE AUS DEM BETT, DREH' DEN SWAG AUFFFFFF
RZM

Post by RZM »

O.k. fair enough. Just figured i could hold off temporarily so i could focus on the uniform financially first..trying to outfit my self with Jenke. Theres a guy with a jenke tunic near me,i have an original Reich service flag,but fairly mothed,hes willing to trade. I doubt the flag is worth more than $300 usd.
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
Halle

Post by Halle »

It's a recurring theme on this forum , buy once , buy well . Why don the best Janke clothing , and spoil it with some inaccurate s**t Y straps ? Lets face it , decent Y straps are pretty affordable , they're the least of your worries :wink:
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
RZM

Post by RZM »

Good point. The intention was to be able to participate even if it was only field work. A good point. Jenke clothing would be worthless with bad field gear. Sigh....patience is not my best virtue lol. thanks guys.
"Was ist das?"
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

€25 at Zib militaria, his old ones were bad, the new ones are even stamped!
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
RZM

Post by RZM »

What an awesome site. Thank you. Zib Millitaria is one i was not familiar with..on a side note,i havent been able to source out anywhere that has tournister packs. Glad to see zib has them...
"Was ist das?"
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Just watch it, some stuff is sh*t...but they keep getting better.
Arthur

RZM

Post by RZM »

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again Oberlutnant Ulrich.
"Was ist das?"
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Glad to be of service :)
Arthur

RZM

Post by RZM »

So ive decided on the equipment package deal from Hessen Antique.
Consists of Y straps,belt(buckle of choice) 2 k98 pouches,bayonet and frog,breadbag,canteen and gasmask canister.$259.00 usd.
Later im getting the sturmgepak package which has the A frame,messkit,zelbahn of your choice(ss camo or heer camo)and the A frame bag for $159.00 usd.
Ive dealt with Hessen before and seems like the best deal.To buy those items individually would be far more expensive.
I just got a blurred edge reverseable camo smock first model the otherday. Price was right..traded my old wool panzerwrap for it. Fair enough trade. Since i got my leather one i have no need for the wool one. Colors on the smock look good too. No weird florecent greens or oranges lol..
"Was ist das?"
Halle

Post by Halle »

I take it then that you're in the USA ? Sorry if you've made this obvious elsewhere :wink:
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

I would suggest looking at atthefront.com and their feild equipment packages. Their stuff is the best.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
RZM

Post by RZM »

Yes. USA. Massachussetts...ok,thank you..i will check them out,it would be good to compare the equipment packages. I did not know at the front had package deals as well :)
"Was ist das?"
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

You won't be disappointed with ATF's stuff.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”