1944 Militaria M40/M42 feldgrau helmet paint.

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
POA1944

1944 Militaria M40/M42 feldgrau helmet paint.

Post by POA1944 »

I recently bought a can of 1944 Militaria's helmet paint for a restoration I am doing and I applied the paint and I let it completely dry and it chipped so bad I had to strip the helmet again and now I have to get my own paint custom made....Has anyone else had this happen before?
Thanks
In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.
-Erwin Rommel

Grenadier Erich Kessler

Sta.Kp.Gren.Ers.Btl.199

II./984. Grenadier Regiment 275. Infanterie
Pug42

Re: 1944 Militaria M40/M42 feldgrau helmet paint.

Post by Pug42 »

Unless you bake it in a very low oven it will take a good week or two for cellulose paint to harden off properly. I prime my stuff and then leave in an airing cupboard for a few days after painting. Some chipping is natural and to be expected though. Do you have any pics? Also did you shake the can really well for ten minutes before use to distribute the pigment properly? (Just checking!)

Most commercially available paint is of reasonable quality, my issues are usually with the accuracy (or not) of the colours. For example the Feldgrau sold by Soldier of Fortune is absolute rubbish, nothing like the colour it is meant to be...
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
POA1944

Post by POA1944 »

Pug42 wrote:Unless you bake it in a very low oven it will take a good week or two for cellulose paint to harden off properly. I prime my stuff and then leave in an airing cupboard for a few days after painting. Some chipping is natural and to be expected though. Do you have any pics? Also did you shake the can really well for ten minutes before use to distribute the pigment properly? (Just checking!)

Most commercially available paint is of reasonable quality, my issues are usually with the accuracy (or not) of the colours. For example the Feldgrau sold by Soldier of Fortune is absolute rubbish, nothing like the colour it is meant to be...
No I didn't bake it.I just let it air dry.But I emailed 1944 and they are offering to repaint it for me if I send it to them so I think we can make it work out....But I just got some paint made and it's awful....Nothing like I wanted.....So I just want to get it painted and be done with it haha...But I will make sure it drys properly and I am going to apply a coat of clear flat laquer and it makes the paint stronger.
-Erwin Rommel

Grenadier Erich Kessler

Sta.Kp.Gren.Ers.Btl.199

mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

I've painted a dozen or more helmets using 1944's paint. Never had an issue. Make sure your surface is clean and degreased. I normally spray 3-5 coats on it and after a few days of drying, bang and nick it up a bit (so it doesn't look like it came off the parade ground). I then rub it down with lamp soot from one of my German oil lamps which darkens it a little and gives it a slightly aged look. I finally spray 2 coats of dull coat to seal it all.

Jim
POA1944

Post by POA1944 »

mauser98 wrote:I've painted a dozen or more helmets using 1944's paint. Never had an issue. Make sure your surface is clean and degreased. I normally spray 3-5 coats on it and after a few days of drying, bang and nick it up a bit (so it doesn't look like it came off the parade ground). I then rub it down with lamp soot from one of my German oil lamps which darkens it a little and gives it a slightly aged look. I finally spray 2 coats of dull coat to seal it all.

Jim
I just use dirt and mud to get rid of the "new" look.But I am getting a different can of their paint and am going to do 3-5 coats of paint.Then use clear flat laquer to seal it.Hopefully it turns out well!...I believe it will this time.
-Erwin Rommel

Grenadier Erich Kessler

Sta.Kp.Gren.Ers.Btl.199

Firestreak

Post by Firestreak »

From the orignal un-touched helmets Ive seen, the colour variations are immense. No two are the same (unless sprayed side by side) dont worry to much of the colour. It will soon get bashed, chipped and gain that 'battle damaged' look.
RZM

Post by RZM »

I just redid my helmet with the same paint and had no problems. I did not bake mine but it's had over two weeks to dry and the paint is quite solid. After I had stripped the helmet I wiped it down 3 or 4 times with alcohol and wore gloves as well because your fingers can leave oils behind too. The helmet was stripped to bare metal,which I think makes a diffrence..
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”