Restore to former glory???

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
pzrwest

Restore to former glory???

Post by pzrwest »

I have my friend Edgar's fathers minitures. Edgar had removed the WW1 EK2 from the set of minitures and had it put on a gold chjain for his son. He also had the 25yr faithful service cross de-nazified. What I'm wanting to know is this, should I have this set of minitures restored? To do this I would need an original EK2(ww1) and a 25yr faithfull service cross in miniture. Now should I do this or leave this set as it is? Edgar's son had been burglerized and the chain along with his other jewelery was stollen so the EK2 is gone.Here are pics of the set of minitures as they are today. The chain and pins are gold. Another question is where would I find these minitures? A brief note Edgar is a U-boot veteren from ww2. He still has his father's full size medals These will become mine on his passing heaven forbid that sad day!!!!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/pz ... ures01.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/pz ... ures02.jpg
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

To restore them would not necessarily detract fro their financial value but would reduce their "value" as an original collectors item.
However as these miniatures are not or will veer be, from your description, a commercial proposition - I'd say yes. Have them professionally cleaned, obtain the replacements and restore the group.

If this was a collectors item to go into a collection I'd say leave it as original. As it is a momento or a keepsake from a dear friend and it has infinite personal value - you will never sell it so I would say make it attractive.

The bottom line Harold - is what does Edgar want you to do with it? After all, even though it is bequeathed to you, at present it remains his property - What are his wishes? I would think he does want you to have it looking as it did in former days - But consult him. After all, what if you had it cleaned and replaced the missing medals adn he was upset? How upsest would that make you?

Please let us know what happens and if you do restore them please let us see the results.....

Cheers
PD
pzrwest

minitures

Post by pzrwest »

Ok let me clarify, the minitures are mine he gave them to me along time ago. The originals he still has them on his wall. I was once asked how much I wanted for them(mini's) and said $900.00 and was told that I was out of my mind that they were no where near that value. But to me $1,000.00 is still not enough to me. When I told Edgar about the guy wanting to buy them he said why didn't I sell them and I replied Edgar I couldn't do that they were a gift from you. I know Edgar would actually be proud that I cared that much to restore these minitures. The problem is where would a person even find original miniture EK2(ww1) and Faithfull Service crosses for sale. I would leave them alone before I would put a repro item on the chain

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”