Boot question

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
sig rune

Boot question

Post by sig rune »

The soles on my boots have started to split, the left one completely split, woud it be possible to repair them, or are are they knackered?

Gliderinf

Re: Boot question

Post by Gliderinf »

You take them to a cobler - and ask him to re-sole them.

An independant one - not a chain - with a proper cobler.
Gliderinf / Luftlande
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

What maker? Let me guess....ATF?

DL
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

Take them not to timpson.......
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer »

I think the money would be better spent on a proper pair of boots from Berger or another reputable boot maker.
feldman

Post by feldman »

no shoe care ? low quality shoes ? or a combo ? :roll:

" my boots have started to split " ? - the gap is like grand canyon ! 8)

as said before here - you could visit a proper old-time cobbler, or best of all, spend your money on high quality shoes from Berger or Vlatislav Koutny
Retired & Armed
sig rune

Post by sig rune »

Where could I get boots from Berger or Vlatislav Koutny?
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Jan Berger http://www.lederarsenal.com/en/pages/pr ... hp?lang=DE

Top quality, nice bloke. Highly recommended.
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
feldman

Post by feldman »

"Svec" Koutny is also very good - i own a pair of shoes from him - very good craftmanship ! Recommended !

http://www.koutny-cz.eu/produkty/

Here he shows his work in progress http://www.koutny-cz.eu/poradnik/ 8)
Retired & Armed
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

It kinda looks like you never greased up your boots man. That happened to my boots when I didn't know that leather had to be supple :/ That was when I was a youngster though! :)
However, my boots were from Hessen and they had a sole problem.

I suggest you invest in Berger's low boots like many others have said. I have them now and will never ever get rid of them.

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner
MikeFG

Post by MikeFG »

SchutzeHagemann wrote:It kinda looks like you never greased up your boots man. That happened to my boots when I didn't know that leather had to be supple :/ That was when I was a youngster though! :)
However, my boots were from Hessen and they had a sole problem.

I suggest you invest in Berger's low boots like many others have said. I have them now and will never ever get rid of them.

Sam
Keeping the soles supple is the most important thing you can do. Make sure they often have leather food, neutral polish or suchlike. Remember, they get the most wear/tear and amount of wetting (which causes the most damage to leather) so they need twice as much attention as the tops.
barryG

Post by barryG »

Ive a pair of boots that Ive owned for just a year, soles have started to come away despite regular cleaning and proofing etc. Took them to a couple of cobblers who both said they are the worst made boots they have seen, and didnt advise repairing them as the leather upper was so poor and thin. £90 down the drain then?
Halle

Post by Halle »

Where did you buy them ?
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

It's a common flaw with the Sturm/ATF lowboots. They are made in an inferior quality, and breaks much earlier than they are supposed to. I'm not entirely convinced the soles are made from proper hide. It looks more like a component product.

Both Berger and Svec are super good boot makers. Expensive, but can last a long time. Even my not-perfect ones from Hero Collection have lasted for more than 7 years now. A lot of repairs along the way, and loads of care. But they are still going. I imagine the Berger and Svec boots could last you even longer, as they are properly made all the way through.
I'm biased towards Svec, as he's an actual shoemaker, where Berger is a hobby person. I've had a pair of jackboots from him (had to resell them because I made a mistake and ordered them a bit too small), and the craftsmanship was amazing. The berger boots I've seen are also top notch, but the craftsmanship was not entirely as consistent as with Svecs products. Anyway, I can highly recommend both.
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Mikkel wrote:It's a common flaw with the Sturm/ATF lowboots. They are made in an inferior quality, and breaks much earlier than they are supposed to. I'm not entirely convinced the soles are made from proper hide. It looks more like a component product.

Both Berger and Svec are super good boot makers. Expensive, but can last a long time. Even my not-perfect ones from Hero Collection have lasted for more than 7 years now. A lot of repairs along the way, and loads of care. But they are still going. I imagine the Berger and Svec boots could last you even longer, as they are properly made all the way through.
I'm biased towards Svec, as he's an actual shoemaker, where Berger is a hobby person. I've had a pair of jackboots from him (had to resell them because I made a mistake and ordered them a bit too small), and the craftsmanship was amazing. The berger boots I've seen are also top notch, but the craftsmanship was not entirely as consistent as with Svecs products. Anyway, I can highly recommend both.
I've always recommended Berger more, especially with the low boots. For some reason Svec makes them taller than normal? They look well made, but if you're going to pay that much for quality, I'd like to go with the one who makes the more accurate boot.

EDIT: I forgot I had just seen Svec's winter boots, they look pretty freaking good. I may be giving him a call soon about those..

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”