Where have all the Ami's gone?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
3rdssmann

Where have all the Ami's gone?

Post by 3rdssmann »

Just a question, how is the Allied side of the Hobby looking on the other side of the pond? Here in the good old US of A, the Allied numbers seem to be more than slowly shrinking. I consider myself to have started reenacting with my unit back in 2002 and have only ever had my German impression, nothing else. Now I find myself thinking of getting a second impression just to help the numbers of Allied troops at events! This goes for both US and Russian forces. This weekend there was an event not too far away from me, It is an event that actually paid the reenactors a few dollars to attend! The event was a public event but sadly this year it has been cancelled due to lack of G.I.’s. Last weekend there was another event, again, not too far from me. There were about 40 German reenactors present and close to 15 US. Back when I started you could not go anywhere without bumping into a new Airborne unit forming, Heck, there were THREE in my city alone (units that numbered more than 10 guys too)! This was back in the day when SPR and BoB was the fuel for the fire. I may be “preaching to the choir” here but I am curious as to the attendance of US reenactors on the other side. To pose a second question, is it wrong to feel that being a senior member of your German unit that you should not have to “switch sides” just to add to the Allied forces? Maybe this is something that newer members should be encouraged to do? Or, sadly, we may just need another SPR or BoB.

I know it is a bit more of a rant than a question, but it is frustrating when your unit has potential and has grown leaps and bounds in the past year. Now it seems that we are the backbone of many events, supplying numbers and equipment to both sides of the fight!
3rdssmann
OliverVU

Re: Where have all the Ami's gone?

Post by OliverVU »

Also here in Belgium there seem to be more German than Allied reenactors. Germany is the dark side, it appeals more to people. I don't think the problem here is as bad as you describe it. The fact that we have experienced the occupation makes it a little bit more politically incorrect to reenact "the nazi's". Indirectly I think this has an effect on keeping the balance somewhat in control, but the majority still goes for German.
Changing sides? I wouldn't even consider it. I didn't choose to reenact German just because their uniforms look nice, it's a passion

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”