2 crosses

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
pzrwest

2 crosses

Post by pzrwest »

Here is a pic from Davis's book showing a private with both the EKI and EKII. Since the EKII is in the button hole and he is wearing the EKI on the pocket I would assume that he was awarded both the EKII and the EKI at the same time. How often did that happen? It is required that the person be awarded the EKII before being eligible for the EKI. I would assume that this guy had showed exceptional bravery to be awarded both crosses at the same time. Comments welcome
von papen

Post by von papen »

ah, i have that book to, perhaps hes just showing off, why wear one iron cross when you have two! :lol: perhaps hes just been awarded the ist class, one so hasnt taken the 2nd class of his tunic?
SS-Sturmmann Papen 7te Kompanie. II Batl. LSSAH
Zweite Zug , Aufklärungs
Steve Das Reich

Post by Steve Das Reich »

Interesting photo Harold, as you say he looks to have just been awarded both medals at the same time.

Maybe due to being recently engaged in combat and distinguishing himself twice in the same or related combat, than not recieving them until a later date.

(The EKII has to be awarded first and would normaly be worn as the ribbon in the tunic button hole, the EKI would be awarded next, this medal would be worn on the tunic top pocket)
SS Unterscharfurer Stefan Klein
2Kp. SS Aufklärungs Abt. Das Reich
"Wir gehen voran"
http://www.wars.uk.net/

Jaschke

Post by Jaschke »

Well from what ive read. You can wear the EKII for the first 3 days then after that it's ribbon only.
Hoover

Post by Hoover »

You can wear the EKII for the first 3 days
No Sir, only the first 24 hours, then you would only wearing the ribbon.

For outstanding service the soldier could be awarded with the EK I without having the EK II yet. Then, the soldier would get both EK at once.

My grandfather told me that this was not uncommon.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”