best way to clean inside 5 litre alum heer water cans?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
fieldgrey

best way to clean inside 5 litre alum heer water cans?

Post by fieldgrey »

hi gents.
ive tried caustic soda, leave it a while to bubble and eat the dirt off inside an alum bottle.
its a bit slow.
any sure fire alternative?
for example, sandblasting?
the aim is to restore slightly petroly and dirty interior (stained) back to gleaming drinkability.
its a slow process, so any tips?
thanks in advance ;^)
Botty

Re: best way to clean inside 5 litre alum heer water cans?

Post by Botty »

Don't think it will ever be clean of the petrol:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3475

I gave up on mine.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
feldman

Post by feldman »

I use old fashion methods. I boil some rhubarb in water, and pour it into my Aluminium canteens..

Chop some rhubarb into small pieces. Use enough water to make it a smooth fluid.
Retired & Armed
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

feldman wrote:I use old fashion methods. I boil some rhubarb in water, and pour it into my Aluminium canteens...
Would that remove fuel residue from a Trinkwasser or Jerrican????? Never heard of using rhubarb before!
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Using caustic soda(sodium hydroxide) is a bad idea on aluminium. It'll eat it. It will leave pits in the metal that will get dirty, if left long enough it'd corrode through. It also produces hydrogen, so do be careful.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Hi................ i filled a bottle with some washing up liquid, and sharp sand, and some pebbles, and left it in the boot of the car, it worked for me.
AFRA member
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

That method removed fuel residue/contamination?
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
feldman

Post by feldman »

Pug42 wrote:
feldman wrote:I use old fashion methods. I boil some rhubarb in water, and pour it into my Aluminium canteens...
Would that remove fuel residue from a Trinkwasser or Jerrican????? Never heard of using rhubarb before!
Never cleaned anything with fuel residue.. but i will clean the alu real good, make it real shiny.
Retired & Armed
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

You simply cant take fuel contamination out from a water container and use again safely the smell tends to linger even if using detergents, using caustic soda is extremely dangerous and if not cleansed or neutralized can kill. to clean inside of a dirty container i used rough sand a few times tends to do a decent enough job .
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

very grateful, gentlemen!
i say this-yes, caustic soda isnt a toy-but i have found if controlled and monitored, you can eat through the grimy fuel lined parts, and it leaves the suface-albeit pitted-very clean-as new. of course, the job is to swirl it and let each part of the bottle be covered...this needs many sessions, so takes a v long time. it can then be washed away with water. only do it outside though with gloves and goggles.
i would have thought someone had invented a nozzle fed sand blaster to reach inside such metal bottles. shaking by hand wouldnt be enough force. that or a high pressure hose (industrial strength). anyway, to recap, caustic soda works but is highly risky and the process needs careful monitoring. result is clean, somewhat pitted, finish, and no petrol smell. ;^)
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

fieldgrey wrote:very grateful, gentlemen!
i say this-yes, caustic soda isnt a toy-but i have found if controlled and monitored, you can eat through the grimy fuel lined parts, and it leaves the suface-albeit pitted-very clean-as new. of course, the job is to swirl it and let each part of the bottle be covered...this needs many sessions, so takes a v long time. it can then be washed away with water. only do it outside though with gloves and goggles.
i would have thought someone had invented a nozzle fed sand blaster to reach inside such metal bottles. shaking by hand wouldnt be enough force. that or a high pressure hose (industrial strength). anyway, to recap, caustic soda works but is highly risky and the process needs careful monitoring. result is clean, somewhat pitted, finish, and no petrol smell. ;^)

all well that ends well , baking soda can also erase a heavy scent too.
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Quick word of warning i once removed a motorbike exhaust, stuck 2 spuds (one on each end to seal it with caustic soda inside) shook it like mad ... loud "pop" spud fell / shot off and a fine splatter bubbling on the garden path wear goggles when pissing about with the stuff .... i now use an oven cleaner ...it has a plastic bag you put the lot in and away you go ! as the lads have said , take care with the caustic soda. :shock: :shock:
AFRA member
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

very important warning, gents, thanks. read the tin and treat very carefully indeed, wear all possible protection when using caustic soda.
daveydachs

Post by daveydachs »

You could get the can vapour blasted, my Zuendapp 600 motor case was done, looked like new inside and out and doesn't damage the alloy
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

daveydachs wrote:You could get the can vapour blasted, my Zuendapp 600 motor case was done, looked like new inside and out and doesn't damage the alloy
sounds like a superb solution...
ill look into it
cheers! ;^)

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”