aged gear.

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Franz repper

Re: aged gear.

Post by Franz repper »

It is very simple equipment wears out /breakes boots and leather equipment was exchanged at the company stores it would then be repaired on company level by the cobbler . Uniform items were repaired by the tailor .Any Item that could not be repaired by them war returned to Germany were it would under go Major repair if this was not possible it would be recycled ( The Nazis were true greens ?)
Small repairs would be done by the soldier or one of his kamereden simple and like grenmartens said even in the Heer /SS soldiers would not always get brand new equipment
ImageImageImageImageImage
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Franz repper wrote:It is very simple equipment wears out /breakes boots and leather equipment was exchanged at the company stores it would then be repaired on company level by the cobbler . Uniform items were repaired by the tailor .Any Item that could not be repaired by them war returned to Germany were it would under go Major repair if this was not possible it would be recycled ( The Nazis were true greens ?)
Small repairs would be done by the soldier or one of his kamereden simple and like grenmartens said even in the Heer /SS soldiers would not always get brand new equipment
This was very well written and informative.Thank you.
I did know this ,I have even read were they made the ear muffs from worn out uniforms.
But the thing that puzzles me is this. I will try to put this in an a non confusing way. As new replacement show up on the field they would more than likely have newer equipment.Say as in Russia were most men were wearing m35 helmets.The appearance of m42 Helmets and uniforms are Starting to be used for the first time.Ammo pouches are beginning to change their make as well. This would not be old stock.So the equipment which has never seen combat as the soldier wearing it has also never seen combat.So the condition would be new.As I read it most soldiers had to prove them selves in the ways of drill and normal military soldiers before they saw combat (as they are waiting there turn in the line).These guys have been sleeping in bunkers, not in fox hole or trenches.So these kits (in my opinion ) would look new.Not the uniforms and metal gear, but helmets and leather gear. (ammo pouches)So it would seen to be historically correct for some new equipment to be present.(even in the Heer /SS soldiers would not always get brand new equipment[/quote]) I understand this concept of exhausting the resources. As I understand this It was recycle from wounded and dead soldiers.If you don't have it, you had to get it somewhere.
So I Lu of this it should be possible for a mixture of new and old to be present on the field. Even on one soldier.Resulting in eventually fazing out old gear.Not that by the time this would be achieved that the new gear would by then surely show wear.This just seems to be common sence. I may be wrong. But I'm striving for realism not fantasy.
The reason I got mad, Is that people assume that someone has not done there home work.
and they leave comments and answers in and argumentative way in stead of explaining the true way of things. As you have done here.
I understand that this is not not a great way of communication and people can get offended quite easy.
It is everywhere on this forum.It has become more of a place just to come an argue.I thank you for clearing this up and for not being a jerk.
I apologize if I have came off that way to anyone.
I wish to share facts and assumptions. Assumptions are not always fantasy.They are based on facts.Is not that I wish to get the answer I want. But to discuss the assumptions with fellow like minded people to get a broader view.It is not hard to fall into the farbie doll world if you are not careful.
I do not wish for that to happen to me.
Last edited by DER SOLDATEN on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

I must also share my opinion on pre aged equipment .
I fade my uniforms in the sun and let my gear age naturally.I do wear my boots in the yard for months so that they do not look brand new.
Ammo pouches and bread bags also are aged naturally. I do not take sand paper to anything. I will not make a rip in any of my equipment on purpose.
I find it some what silly(my opinion) as this stuff if expensive and would like it to last a good while.
Also somtimes if I have a tear or a button falls off I do not replace it emediatly or fix tears.I leave them that way for a short while.
This is how I do it. If guys in the field look at me odd for having some new equitment .Then so be it. That is all.
Moller

Post by Moller »

Give up mate... I think everyone else has too... :roll:
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Moller wrote:Give up mate... I think everyone else has too... :roll:
Agreed
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Ive read this with some head scratching basically, i wasn't going to get get into any more debates,
but reading this i thought i had to, it seems "der soldaten" is under some wrong illusion, sometimes
people get facts wrong as indeed i do myself, through being wrongly informed or having the wrong
information at our disposal, nobodies perfect, equipment WAS repaired and used again as far as iam
aware.

I have had a bit of original equipment pass through my hands over the years and have noticed
repairs so this i do know about, especially on rucksacks, breadbags or zeltbahns, iam no expert
but have collected a bit of stuff and noticed this so am going on what ive seen and previously owned
rather than what somebody told me or drawing the wrong conclusions, i even had a rucksack which
had sections of splinter material from a zeltbahn sewn inside, obviously done to act as a waterproofer
as well as to repair any holes/damage ??.

Also didn't soldiers get breakages or damages to equipment taken from their pay??, so maybe that
would encourage them to repair it while on leave or when they would have time rather than paying
for it, especailly it it were small holes/tears and the item could be used again :?:

As for bread bags they were made from different canvas sections as said above, mid to late War
which varied in weave and hue as far as iam aware

I hope this has helped Der Soldaten, and thrown some light on the subject??
Regards Peiper
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Good sir even back at the training depot they would get issued old uniforms and equipment even during the late stages of the war pre-war pattern tunics were issued .
As for the soldier stuff during training marching and that was and still is used as a form of discipline sorry its a short reply at work
ImageImageImageImageImage
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Considering that I was ordered by my leutnant to repair some of my issue items in the army - this being in the year 2008 - I would imagine they certainly repaired some items themselves as well.
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

Hoffman Grink wrote:
What people need to realise is that this hobby is fast becoming a parody and a pastiche of Hollywood. Some people remember what it was all about and some groups still maintain the ethos that sparked this pastime/lifestyle - but they are now a dwindling minority.
Sometimes I miss the old reenacting days when life was so much easier. Wendys converted Swedish uniforms, bundy boots, no forum, no chinky crap, TL's pyro displays at Mereworth.........................
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Its a shame that when people post comments in a debate if they are wrong
or others dont agree with them others responding get angry or resort to
personal abuse, why the anger and hostillity?, this isn't aimed at anyone
in paricular just an observation from other threads over the years !!!!

This is suppose to be a forum of like minded re-enactors and WW2 enthusiasts
who share the same intrests, whats happened to kameradschaft??

There are too many Govt bodies and P-C individuals trying to stop us doing this
hobby for us to be divided and fall out, we should stick together and advise like
a few old hands who have helped me, rather than scorn and isolate??

Just my two cents :wink:
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

I never said that they never repaired anything,wehrmacht awards is full of repaired items.
My information has been gathered through research from soldiers(VETS) that were there.
I have ask many about field repairs and most would reply in this way. (me) If you had tears in you equipment did you repair them?
Most would reply as follows. "we never had the time." ... "No we would just get a replacement this shit was everywhere."
"sometimes we just through it away" You never know when your going to have to ditch your equipment so why bother."
What would a common field repair be. Most said. "anything that would get you the hell out of there and on leave. Uniforms, rucksacks, etc. Or anything that shielded you from the weather.
I also ask a German NCO." What about your personal belongings? He replied with a laugh." we had those? Most of those get lost or used up very fast.
I was on the eastern front all a cared about was having enough food.So I stuffed my pocket with that,if there was no room for it .I made room.
Also read Blood Red Snow by Gunter K Koschorrek. Find out where his comrades got there felt winter boots.
The last word on the bread bag I mentioned.It was not a late war manufactured bag as mentioned above. This was a crudely stitched bag mad with loop stitching and no rear detail (hardware). It could have existed . But it just really looked out of place in my opinion.
Also ask your self this how many different uniforms did the Germany army have?
Show me a good sorce of info. I would like to learn more about this subject.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Peter Bauer wrote:Considering that I was ordered by my leutnant to repair some of my issue items in the army - this being in the year 2008 - I would imagine they certainly repaired some items themselves as well.
Not trying to offend. But where you ever in combat against a larger force? Also where you losing?
Lets all try and have a real debate.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

DER SOLDATEN wrote:Not trying to offend. But where you ever in combat against a larger force? Also where you losing?
Not really caring if I offend or not but what has that got to do with aged gear?
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

DER SOLDATEN wrote: Also read Blood Red Snow by Gunter K Koschorrek. Find out where his comrades got there felt winter
boots.
I thought i would better answer this post even though i dont like getting involved
in "debates", but you keep mentioning this book as if you are basing everything you are saying on it?,
novels/biograhies are useful as an outline on the subject but not 100% reliable imo, rather than going
by things in novels perhaps you should read more ref books as you can't really base opinions on
things in these, if you have perhaps you should read them again as you seem to be missing
something?, no offence just an observation ?, also the War on the Russian Front was quite severe and
extreme in some places as i gather this book (Blood Red Snow) is about, especially Stalingrad unlike
the ETO etc, not all situations were the same so can't really compare in my humble opinion!!!
DER SOLDATEN wrote:The last word on the bread bag I mentioned.It was not a late war manufactured bag as mentioned above. This was a crudely stitched bag mad with loop stitching and no rear detail (hardware). It could have existed . But it just really looked out of place in my opinion.
Now you have explained the details of the bag you saw, it appears the bag was "cobbled"
together by someone because even late War bread bags had proper stitching/straps etc imho, iam still
learning historical facts myself but one thing i do know a bit about is equipment as i have had some
pass through my possession over the years !!!
DER SOLDATEN wrote:Also ask your self this how many different uniforms did the Germany army have?
Show me a good sorce of info. I would like to learn more about this subject.

As for sources of info, this depends what you want to specialize in, as you are portraying Wehrmacht
maybe some of the WH experts can advize on ref books etc ?
Good luck, Peiper :wink:
Halle

Post by Halle »

The longer you spend in a combat environment , the more stressed your equipment ( and you ) become ? Any time out of the line , and replacement items would be issued ? At the end of a particular period on the front line , when the unit is pulled out to rest / refit , as much as is possible is swapped and / or repaired . I'm reading about 6th SS Nord , they would have looked very different during Nordwind than they did up in the arctic circle after receiving extensive issues of kit and weapons . So surely any 'look ' as far as reenactment is concerned is possible ?
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”