Bayonet Blade Clean up?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Bomber Harris

Bayonet Blade Clean up?

Post by Bomber Harris »

I have discovered an old bayonet and scabbard in my garage its in good condition but blade needs polishing as well as metal work in general

it is a 1889 Lee Metford.

Can somebody please advise me whats best pls ?

J
berlin1945

Re: Bayonet Blade Clean up?

Post by berlin1945 »

just clean with some kitchen hob cleaner in a circular pattern to break down the dirt and the help smooth out the pitting then if you have a 500 wewt and dry sheet gently polish it and should smooth out any peaks and troughs in mketal and if you need to blue again cleanse with methyol lated spirats and buy a blueing solution rub on as per instructions and then neutralise in water , the wood work take off sand gently with 250 wet and dry and restain again , the bayonet channel for fitting onto the rifle should be well cleansed out with wd40 or another lubricant so the catch works and opens and returns back to its locking position,
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
sig rune

Post by sig rune »

I would use very fine steel wool and some oil, to remove any grime and light rust. Over cleaning can completely ruin a bayonet.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

sig rune wrote:I would use very fine steel wool and some oil, to remove any grime and light rust. Over cleaning can completely ruin a bayonet.
I would second that I tend to use a light oil that comes in a spray can Rust off is one not sure if you can get it in the UK
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”