RAU or lost battalion uniforms

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
DER SOLDATEN

RAU or lost battalion uniforms

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

I'm in the market for an M36 tunic and M37 trousers.
Was wondering how RAU stacked up against lost battalion uniforms.
Are they made in Europe?
Do they do custom work and is it costly.(RAU)
I was also thinking on getting the reworked chez Y straps???
Last is footwear Jack boots.Are Rau worth the money.
Looks good but I would still like opinions Please.
Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image
Moller

Re: RAU or lost battalion uniforms

Post by Moller »

Mate, you asking the biggest taboo question? US v EU? This would be interesting, who has the best supplier USA or EU..? or Der Grosses Taboo ever... Who has the best reenactors? USA or EU?.....here in Australia we still have a way to go but we can learn from all you guys....
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

RAU (the top notch stuff) was Polish made - but he doesnt have them anymore - he sell mainly sturm same as many other folks.
lost battalions went bankrupt didnt they ?

so your stuffed either way. :(
Gliderinf / Luftlande
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

Same thing with the Marching boots (used to have polish) ones listed at the moment are sturm.
Gliderinf / Luftlande
Gebirgsziege

Post by Gebirgsziege »

I am not 100% positive but I believe Lost Battalions has been bought out by another investor, and is, or will soon, be back up running.

Tchüss,
David
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

I hear lost B is in business.I just wish that the vendors would state that what they are selling is Sturm. This was not meant as a taboo question or to offend. So It would seem I'm stuck between Sturm and At the Front (textile) if LB is done in.I sure wish Panther store made an M36. :( :cry:
I need to start a list of vendors who carry Sturm tunics.I guess that can't be that bad.If so many vendors carry them.
Still RAU has a lot of nice repros on his site.
I also found out the on the march is merging with ATF.
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

well for starters the ATF normal price wool stuff is sturm - though not the insane priced stuff.

most firms (that dont manufacture) use sturm.
Gliderinf / Luftlande
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

DER SOLDATEN wrote: vendors who carry Sturm tunics.I guess that can't be that bad.If so many vendors carry them.
Thats just not logical plus you are falling into the 'let the dealer do the research' trap.
Dealers sell stuff, not asses the quality and authenticity of their stock.
They stock what turns a profit and what is readily available.
Plenty of people stocked and sold Ant-Z, his m43 trousers were never right and his pea dot was awful.
Sturm seem to be cut for the taller, fuller figure. Off the shelf tunics from Gavin suit the slim.
Plus no cheap tunic is really accurate, least ways none I have seen.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Stigroadie wrote:
DER SOLDATEN wrote: vendors who carry Sturm tunics.I guess that can't be that bad.If so many vendors carry them.
Thats just not logical plus you are falling into the 'let the dealer do the research' trap.
Dealers sell stuff, not asses the quality and authenticity of their stock.
They stock what turns a profit and what is readily available.
Plenty of people stocked and sold Ant-Z, his m43 trousers were never right and his pea dot was awful.
Sturm seem to be cut for the taller, fuller figure. Off the shelf tunics from Gavin suit the slim.
Plus no cheap tunic is really accurate, least ways none I have seen.
I sent you a private message Stig .
If you and I have gotten off to a bad start I apologize.
You obviously know this hobby.
I would really like your help in finding a reasonably priced M36 for field use.
At regulation length.
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Hi
Also bear in mind where you live. If you're in the uk then ordering from the states will incur an import tax fee of percentage of the total cost of the order. Last time I ordered a tunic from the US I had to shell out another thirty quid to the courier before they'd hand it over.
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

Panzer Wittman wrote:Hi
Also bear in mind where you live. If you're in the uk then ordering from the states will incur an import tax fee of percentage of the total cost of the order. Last time I ordered a tunic from the US I had to shell out another thirty quid to the courier before they'd hand it over.

Might incur import tax.

Its pretty random as to what gets taxed and what doesent. sometimes you can get large expensive multi item orders get through unscathed. other times you get one small item shafted.

Generally I find its worth the risk - Most times you can get better kit for less (even with the postage and the tax) and if you dont get taxed - its even cheaper.

British firms just equate dollars and pounds as being the same thing and overcharge massively - most of the time they take longer to get it too you as well.
you often get orders from the US in a few days and wait weeks / months from the UK.

And very often you havent a hope in hell of getting the best kit in the uK anyway - whatever the price.
Gliderinf / Luftlande
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Gliderinf wrote: Might incur import tax.

Its pretty random as to what gets taxed and what doesent. sometimes you can get large expensive multi item orders get through unscathed. other times you get one small item shafted.

I disagree with this. EVERY package I've had from the US has been stopped by customs and taxed. Packages from the east can sneak through, but from the states, everything seems to get stopped.

Thinking of it as a 'risk' is daft. Its the law that you pay import tax, vat and duty on goods over a certain value when importing. Its good luck or fortune if your package gets through without it.

If ordering from outside the EU, accept you will pay tax on it - budget for it.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

I Agree with Graeme. Everytning i buy from the States, no matter what is is seems to get stopped. Can really push the price of an item up. If the seller reduces the value on the postal reciept and it does get lost you'll only be insured for the value he put.
Don't know why you'd need to buy from so far afield. If your in the States one or more of the dealers will probably stock the same items that dealers here in Europe stock. Unlesss its a bespoke piece made by one of the American firms or a company such as panther Store here in the EU. Most people now carry much of the same stuff.
RAU was different a couple of years ago when he stocked the Polish stuff which a lot of people liked and he was the only person you could get it from. Now its easier to buy kit but maybe not as exciting.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

then you have been very unlucky.
Gliderinf / Luftlande
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Gliderinf wrote:then you have been very unlucky.
Or it could be the case you have been very lucky. If buying from the States expect to pay taxes and budget accordingly. If you don't get hit with them think of it as a bonus.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”