Dienst Brille

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
valkyrie895

Dienst Brille

Post by valkyrie895 »

Gentlemen,
After a recent eye injury in the shop involving contact lenses, I realized it is probably not the best idea to be using them in the field like I normally do.
I am one of those beloved little people affectionately known as a Stitch Nazi, and nothing grinds my gears worse than modern glasses being worn on the field.
So I have decided to purchase a pair of Dienst Brille glasses and have the glasses place fit them with lenses.
Has anybody done this?
About how much does it cost to have the lenses done?

Thanks,
Chris.
Obergefreiter Bodo Fehrmann
II./984. Grenadier Regiment, 275. Infanterie Division

"Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
Peter Bauer

Re: Dienst Brille

Post by Peter Bauer »

I can only say this about Finland, but I and my friend bought Miltec dienstbrilles an got lenses for them, cost around 40 euros. It's nothing too weird, can be done easily. Only thing you have to worry, is that they don't use modern lense material, as it doesn't reflect the way 40's glasses did.
Botty

Post by Botty »

Just been charged £160 by Boots for two pairs, one clear, one tinted. Not got them back yet so hopefully they will be OK. They have put lenses in some period frames in the past without problem though.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

Peter Bauer wrote:Only thing you have to worry, is that they don't use modern lense material, as it doesn't reflect the way 40's glasses did.
Indeed, I bought a civilian glasses and told the guy not to do the green reflection on them and guess what I got... :evil: His answer was that today you can't get them without the green reflection!
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

I was lucky,we have a local family opticians who still grind there own lenses and it was no problem for them,I think the last time I had new lense's was about five years ago and it cost me £60 (vari-focals).I think the big firms like Spec- savers,they are not too keen on fitting lenses to your own frames.John
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

I'd be surprised if you can't get them like that in UK as you can get them in Finland o_O perhaps if you go to some other places to ask?
barryG

Post by barryG »

I got mine done in specsavers about 2 1/2 years ago for £35. If your a stitch nazi as you say, then youll know the Dienst Brille on sale are grey frames. These are incorrect as only the gasmask ones were grey, the ordinary brille were silver frames :wink:

Ive gone over to contacts now, as the Dienst Brille are just so awful to wear!
valkyrie895

Post by valkyrie895 »

False.
A friend of mine has an original pair in grey.
Thanks for the advice, I think I will stop by the eyeglass place tonight and see what they say.
Obergefreiter Bodo Fehrmann
II./984. Grenadier Regiment, 275. Infanterie Division

"Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

I have used original Dienst Brille as my reenacting glasses for years. Original frames are available and they make reproduction frames as well. Make sure you get a pair that will fit your face properly as they came in different sizes. Width and arm length can be gauged from modern frames to give you a reasonable idea of what you need.
You can usually just supply a copy of your perscription to any eye glass shop. I'd suggest plastic lenses (Okay not authentic), since they are safer and shatter resistant. I've seen too many reenactors accidentially shot in the face in the heat of the moment to not consider them.
Should cost (depending on your prescription) around $80-$100
Hope that helps,
Jim
mauser98
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

barryG wrote:I got mine done in specsavers about 2 1/2 years ago for £35. If your a stitch nazi as you say, then youll know the Dienst Brille on sale are grey frames. These are incorrect as only the gasmask ones were grey, the ordinary brille were silver frames :wink:

Ive gone over to contacts now, as the Dienst Brille are just so awful to wear!

I have and wear what I believe are original Grey Dienst-Brille frames. I bought them unissued about 6 years ago, before the Sturm ones were available. The lenses are actually a bit smaller than the Sturm one. They came in a original case with the eye prescription slip. Please explain?

DL
Botty

Post by Botty »

Go for un-coated glass and you wont be too far away from originals. If your optician fits the coated lenses (eg the green tint ones referred to above) send them back as not what was ordered. My day to day lenses are un-coated as I find the coating de-laminates so being told 'they are all like that now' is rubbish.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
barryG

Post by barryG »

Oh, Ive seen many pairs of originals and all have been silver. Ive also read that the grey were the gasmask type, so as there do indeed appear to be grey originals, I stand corrected.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

My friend has brille made of bakelite I believe, or some other brown plastic.
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

For getting glasses reglazed I have had about 6 pairs done by this company..

http://ciliaryblue.com/

Fast service and excellent lenses, I get the £30 1.50 Standard Plastic UC/MAR ones fitted, but as you can see, could be as low as £15 for basic plastic.
SS UntSch. Karl Schneider.
1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte AH - SBG
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

I got my original dienstbrille back before the repro's were available, and I got plastic lenses fitted to them. I wouldn't have it any other way. The repro's look wrong (but acceptable, IMO) but I'd never have glass lenses in them due to safety issues.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”