reversible parkas for the 12thSSHJ ??

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
SSnez

Re: reversible parkas for the 12thSSHJ ??

Post by SSnez »

' but will find difficulty moving!!!!!!'

Bring on the blatfest. Stand and Deliver :lol: :wink:
"When I was bound apprentice in famous Lincolnshire"
poteau rottenfurer

Post by poteau rottenfurer »

Sometimes having an interest in both sides of the coin helps research i.e not just buying books based on either the Allied or Axis forces,dependent on what you re-enact
For examaple ,There is an excellent book called Battles East of Elsenborn by Will Cavanagh who was a student of Charles B MacDonald ,the US Army Historian and a company commander during the war.
It focus`s on the attempts to open up the Rollbahns around Krinklet /Rocherath ( A&B) where Volksgrenadier and 12 SS fought 99th and 2nd US infantry.
From what I can remember of pictures which are attributed to that fighting ,SS troops,which can only then be HJ,are seen mainly wearing wools with layers underneath and white "snow suits".
Sometimes because the book is written from the viewpoint of US forces ,you get images of German Prisoners and dead you would not see if it was written from a german POV- Hence my point!!!!
This is concurrent with the many other images of SS troops fighting in the bulge plus or minus the "snow suit"
Im no expert,but that would lead me to think on baseing an impression of 12 SS that reversble winter wear was not a common clothing option in the bulge for the 12 or any other SS unit.Possibly there are some images of 9th SS around Bastogne (prisoners) wearing reversibles but I would have to check

cheers
dave g
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Hoffman Grink wrote:If in doubt - and you want to keep warm during the winter - Get a Mantel........ Failing that - get a dot suit that is large enough to go over your feldgrau........ it's what they did. Pair that up with a Roll neck sweater under the tunic and some longjohns (thermals will work), a Toque and some earwarmers........ Knitted gloves and a scarf will complete the issue look and keep you warm.
Or wear everything you own to keep warm :wink:
60403_1407408627649_1305422250_30956990_3192960_n.jpg
60403_1407408627649_1305422250_30956990_3192960_n.jpg (77.83 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
poteau rottenfurer

Post by poteau rottenfurer »

guy on the right looks like he might have US Leggings on?
Zoepf

Post by Zoepf »

Styrian gamaschen maybe? Maybe they are 6.SS?
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Man on left has dot jacket UNDER Wools tunic and dot trou OVER Wool. Mantel and then what looks like a US raincoat.......
SSnez

Post by SSnez »

Nice post there dave g
 Yes did discuss with my brother about looking at it from the US side may give us more of an idea on what they wore when photographed either captured or dead. Thanks for that
SSnez

Post by SSnez »

I'm liking that look 'west-front' including the flock
Of seagulls haircut, but not sure me Mam will let me borrow her oven gloves :lol:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

What you SHOULD be asking is
"Who am doing best repro US raincoat?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

You can learn a lot from POW photos. Such as how does Joel / Repper stay so young looking (second from the right)
318541_2006392961883_1305422250_31771686_596755693_n.jpg
318541_2006392961883_1305422250_31771686_596755693_n.jpg (56.08 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
Recently captured German prisoners of war from the New Zealand sector of the 8th Army Front in Italy, awaiting transport. George Kaye Sangro River region 16 December 1943.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Like "Always hold your morsel of dry bread between forefinger and thumb and chew thoughtfully"
Jugend Repper

Post by Jugend Repper »

their not rain coats in the photo but there is place in the US that make em even though there totaly wrong from what i hear
http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=70&bc=no

Yorki
Wenn ich dumm bin, lassen sie's micht entgelten;
wenn ich recht hab, wollen sie mich schelten. Goethe
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

The US rubberized ground sheet is the "captured Ardennes winter collection" lol :lol:

Seriously i agree with SS-Para on this one, unless you see a myriad of photos showing
a particular Regt/Formation wearing these items i wouldn't wear one personally, just due to
the fact obviously these Parkas were'nt worn by the 12th/SS in vast numbers, as was said
you may get the odd one or two appearing on photographs but not worn as a rule, if you
are portraying a particular Regt it is best sticking to the norm and what was worn rather
than seeing a piece of kit and thinking "Hmmmm that looks the mutts, i'll have that",
however you may ignore all this advice and wear what you want to wear lol, it is after all
a free Country, just my two cents :wink:

Regards Pipes
SSnez

Post by SSnez »

Some really good posts on this topic and a good lay out of what the 12th would and wouldn't wear. I guess everyone has a slightly different view on matters and thankyou for enlightening me on the right and wrongs. now I can go away with knowledge youvd all shared and maybe in the future i can build a nice CORRECT 'winter' senario kit.
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Hi SSnez i Look forward to seeing you at our next meet ! and wearing what ever you decide on ...best regards Rich :D ps just wondered if your at the meal ? if so see you there !
AFRA member

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”