Gas mask strap help

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Panzer Wittman

Gas mask strap help

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Right. I've been putting together the last few bits to complete my field gear for the new season and have taken delivery of a very nice rau replica gas mask can.
Having spent half an hour wearing the kind of face I reserve for Ikea flat pack furniture with missing instructions, I though it best to seek some help.
Not having owned one before, how do I attach the strap (one long part, one short) to the can to wear it?
I'd be most grateful if someone could talk me through it or post a pic or two. I've trawled though my library and no original pics I have a close enough to follow.
Cheers and thanks to anyone who can help
Wittman
Walther

Re: Gas mask strap help

Post by Walther »

Don't know if this picture is any help to you:

The short strap is easy, shove that through the fixing point at the bottom of the tin, fold it back on itself and secure with the metal pin.

The long strap goes through one of the top 2 fixing points. Thread it through, make a loop then push the end through the buckle. Take the other end and thread it through the empty fixing point make the loop and secure that with the other metal pin.

Then it's just a matter of making the long strap tight or slackening it off by moving the buckle.

You might struggle with postwar or repro straps as they are quite chunky compared to the war time originals, but with perseverance they will push through.

Some more pics can be found here :wink:

http://www.gdrecon.co.uk/gas%20equipment.html

Hope this helps,

Neil.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Eureka(n)!
Sorted. Many thanks camerade. Now I can focus on kicking it round the garden for a few weeks to break it in.
Cheers again.
Wittman
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.

Post by THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. »

Thats what i like about originals, they're allready bashed about some :lol:
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.
3kp 1 pz div.LSSAH.

landser437

Post by landser437 »

Thanks for the help here. I had the short strap down, but the longer one was a bit of a puzzle. You helped me sort it out!

Danke!

Franz
Franz Braun

1.K 437 Infanterie Regiment

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”