Questionable coat

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Panzer212

Questionable coat

Post by Panzer212 »

I have collected a few of these ww2 Dragon action figures and this is one that I have. Anyway, I have wondered what coat he has. It says it is a "Shearling jacket". Were troops ever issued coats like this? I've never seen them.
Peiper

Re: Questionable coat

Post by Peiper »

Hi kamerad, as far as iam aware, "unauthorized/unofficial" coats were worn especially at
the Russian Front, apparantly furs and leather items were donated by the German public
for Soldiers at the front and some unusual items were worn, maybe one of the other
forum users/experts can throw some light on this subject??
Regards Peiper
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus Kameraden,

As Peiper mentioned, these were fairly common on the Eastern front, especially the first winter which caught the German Army woefully unprepared for the extreme cold weather. I have an original fur vest and a quilted down-filled vest in my collection. Will have to get some photos together of them.

Here are some wartime images:
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

IT'S A DOLL! :roll:
You are using a doll as a basis for research? :lol:
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

This was an issue item and as you can see the photos papa posted prove this I have also a have an original one of these as well as the wast coat type as well
ImageImageImageImageImage
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Here a couple ive found off various Military dealer sites, the first is an issued but not
doubt "unofficial" rabbit fur jacket, the second is the official Kharkov coat lined with fox fur.
German rabbit fur jacket.jpg
German rabbit fur jacket.jpg (26.73 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
German Kharkov fur parka.jpg
German Kharkov fur parka.jpg (37.53 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
Cheers, Pipes
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Page 62 in deutsche soldaten.
Panzer212

Post by Panzer212 »

Very interesting, I have had this "DOLL" for a while and the coat was a mystery to me. I tried to find information online, but couldn't. Well, thanks for all your help guys.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

These things were oddball: They were obtained whenever possible by units, and issued as needed. They were by no means "standard" issue though. They WERE in the German production and supply system, but never enough issued to go around. I've seen photographs of these coats being assembled in the factory, and I have only seen eastern front photographs of these things in wear. I believe they were usually made from sheepskin.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Sheikh Al Stranghi wrote:These things were oddball: They were obtained whenever possible by units, and issued as needed. They were by no means "standard" issue though. They WERE in the German production and supply system, but never enough issued to go around. I've seen photographs of these coats being assembled in the factory, and I have only seen eastern front photographs of these things in wear. I believe they were usually made from sheepskin.
These items were on Issue to SS units late 1940 early 1941 and were intended for areas of Norway and Poland , One reference states that they were issued on a basis of 10% of the total unit strength ,so this could lead to the idea that thee was never enough to go round
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Nice info, thanks!
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Sheikh Al Stranghi wrote:Nice info, thanks!
No worries sir I will look out the orders if your interested just to note this is for SS
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Anybody know of any repro source for these jackets?, I've seen a few originals for sale but they are small and I doubt the stitching would hold after 60+ years. Have thought of getting a cheap fur coat of ebay and just reversing it maybe?
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

paulmfjr2 wrote:Anybody know of any repro source for these jackets?, I've seen a few originals for sale but they are small and I doubt the stitching would hold after 60+ years. Have thought of getting a cheap fur coat of ebay and just reversing it maybe?
Go to a hide dealer and get a goatskin or two or even the odd sheep (you know what an odd sheep looks like - three legs and four eyes)
You can cut the jacket pieces using a template and the stitch holes will be possible using a bradawl. Get some nice waxed linen thread and with a bit of skill and patience - Robert will be you Auntie's Husband
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

I'll get the Mrs on to it right away!! :D

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”