How to shrink wool - or not?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Steiner

How to shrink wool - or not?

Post by Steiner »

Over the years, my Feldhosen have become very baggy at the waist - I never wash them, but I'm considering trying to wash / shrink them slightly. However, I hear differing advice on what would work - hot wash? Hot-ish wash? Soak them and then hot tumble dry? Or am I risking them coming out Action Man size?

What say you, Kameraden?
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
Cruiser

Re: How to shrink wool - or not?

Post by Cruiser »

Give them to my ex wife, she used to manage to shrink most of my wools, funnily enough she used to manage to shrink them to about her size :?
I have had the enormous pleasure of watching a Roman pull out his wool tunic that had been carefully laundered, and ironed by his wife, and yes, it was tiny, I mean it would have fitted an 8 year old :lol: So caution would be best here methinks, go for a warm wash and drip dry and see if they have tightened up, if not go for a slightly warmer etc.....
I wish my wools would go a bit baggy, it's make it look like I've lost weight :lol:
I am the bane of pointy stick forums, thrice banned for honesty, hater of internet re enactors ( you know, the ones that know everything but never do an event).
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

Do like the old Levis jeans, put them on and jump in a bath, not boiling water and not freezing they'll fit you when the water temperature meets your body temperature. DRIP DRY ONLY.
Remember wool is a natural product like your hair and your skin, try burning your skin or washing your hair into a shape it doesn't want to go.
I can only assume that you've never had to shape a beret on your napper either? That's a different story.
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

John Wilson wrote:Do like the old Levis jeans, put them on and jump in a bath, not boiling water and not freezing they'll fit you when the water temperature meets your body temperature. DRIP DRY ONLY.
Thanks.
John Wilson wrote:I can only assume that you've never had to shape a beret on your napper either?
Yes, been there, done that.
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Steiner wrote:Over the years, my Feldhosen have become very baggy at the waist - I never wash them, but I'm considering trying to wash / shrink them slightly. However, I hear differing advice on what would work - hot wash? Hot-ish wash? Soak them and then hot tumble dry? Or am I risking them coming out Action Man size?

What say you, Kameraden?
Are ya sure you havent lost weight?? Maybe its time for a new pair of hosen. ;)
Kampfgruppe Steiner
gebirgs soldat

Post by gebirgs soldat »

Use HOT WATER! then put in a dryer for only til item is damp, then air dry the rest of the time.

I generally wash my uniforms once a year.. and I order them oversized to allow for shrinkage.. that way if I am in a really wet/muddy situation I can clean my uniform without worries.

If the uniform is a mix of rayon/wool it should be fine and won't shrink too much but just enough!

my 2 cents
"Alte Soldaten Sterben Nicht" - "Old Soldiers Never Die"

Walter Ritter
4te Kompanie, 98th GJR
California Historical Group (CHG)
L.A., California

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”