Sniper clothing?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Panzer212

Sniper clothing?

Post by Panzer212 »

I am planing to be a sniper in an upcoming Febuary tactical. Since it is in winter I will need a coat and the only coat I have is a great coat. What I want to ask is, what clothing were snipers issued and could a sniper have been issued a great coat? The uniform set up I am going to use is like the on in the picture, except that my white smock is shorter and has a hood.
Hoffman Grink

Re: Sniper clothing?

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Take a white cotton bedsheet -Fold it in half - Cut it into a T Shape - Cut a hole for your head in the centre of the top of the T. Sew the "Sleeves" up and put it on over your greatcoat. You can sew some ties on for your waist and you have a passable authentic field made snow camo as would be used in the period. If there is sufficient spare material - Cut a circle large enough to cover your stahlhelm and hold it in place with a ring cut from a tyre inner tube.
Not everything has to be Gucci and most snow camo would be improv.
Here
You can see a variety of snow cam used including the one described above - This was ourselves and GD Recon filming a TV Documentary for The History Channel about Stalingrad. The garments work well don't you agree?
I'm front left with MP40, two piece padded suit and fitted helmet cover (and dirty knees)
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Sniper would have had same kit as any other soldier. Field made cammo was common. Reversible Padded suit would be fine aswell. On another note what Rifle set up you using?
Panzer212

Post by Panzer212 »

The set up I would be using would be the long eye relief Zf-41 scope, since I do not have the money for a turret scope. Since these scopes were mainly used by regular infantry I guess a regular infantry look would'nt be so bad. From what I have read the Zf41 was in some cases used as a sniper scope, is this true?
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

It was classed as a sniper scope although true snipers stayed clear of it. Its generally considerd more of a marksmans aid.
BaggyPants

Post by BaggyPants »

Yep, with only 1.4x magnification and such long eye relief, it was fairly useless as a sniper scope and was used by designated marksmen instead.
Panzer212

Post by Panzer212 »

Well thats what I am going to be using, I wish I could get a turret mounted scope but I just don't have the money, maybe later on i'll get a turret scope. I did find a few pictures for Zf41s being used by what look like snipers.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Panzer212 - You are putting the cart before the horse.
"I want to be a sniper but I can't afford a turret scope so I will persist and use incorrect materials to further my ambition"
Whereas the correct and more sensible path would be
"I want to portray sniper but as I can not yet afford a turret scope I will build a good infantry impression using a ZF41 equipped K98. This will set me in good stead until I can upgrade to a sniper impression"

Not a pop at you but a way of illustrating how people further their own personal needs and ambitions over a real passion for the way things were. It is better to forego your "dream" for a period of time until such time as you can actually do it properly without cutting corners or bastardising history.

Have a think for a bit after reading this. Decide if you actually want to do the sniper justice or is it more about your fantasy? I hope it's the former. And that you will indeed use your ZF41 and the outfit you are researching but you will explain to the interested listener that you are a marksman as opposed to a sniper and what your equipment is for. You might work into the conversation that as a marksman you may put yourself forward for a Scharfschutzen cadre which will certainly add depth to your impression and pave the way for your ultimate goal.

Thanks for reading.
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Hoffman Grink wrote:Panzer212 - You are putting the cart before the horse.
"I want to be a sniper but I can't afford a turret scope so I will persist and use incorrect materials to further my ambition"
Whereas the correct and more sensible path would be
"I want to portray sniper but as I can not yet afford a turret scope I will build a good infantry impression using a ZF41 equipped K98. This will set me in good stead until I can upgrade to a sniper impression"

Not a pop at you but a way of illustrating how people further their own personal needs and ambitions over a real passion for the way things were. It is better to forego your "dream" for a period of time until such time as you can actually do it properly without cutting corners or bastardising history.

Have a think for a bit after reading this. Decide if you actually want to do the sniper justice or is it more about your fantasy? I hope it's the former. And that you will indeed use your ZF41 and the outfit you are researching but you will explain to the interested listener that you are a marksman as opposed to a sniper and what your equipment is for. You might work into the conversation that as a marksman you may put yourself forward for a Scharfschutzen cadre which will certainly add depth to your impression and pave the way for your ultimate goal.

Thanks for reading.

Pretty much spot on. Its not an easy impression by any strech. If you want to do it and do it right then hold out for a turret or side rail scope. The pics you show are possibly snipers. But its doubtfull. The ZF41 was used in Sniper training but at front real snipers stayed away from it.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Had a look at a picture elsewhere of a sniper, he was wearing a splinter smock and helmet cover, is this the type? Is this one actuall any good? Is the price acceptable and does anyone know the reputation of the seller outside of the sometimes fallable ebay feedback scheme? So many questions, I'm sorry and very appreciative of your help Chaps.

Linky:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-German-Splint ... 5d25dc36b3
I am the bane of pointy stick forums, thrice banned for honesty, hater of internet re enactors ( you know, the ones that know everything but never do an event).
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Cruiser wrote:Had a look at a picture elsewhere of a sniper, he was wearing a splinter smock and helmet cover, is this the type? Is this one actuall any good? Is the price acceptable and does anyone know the reputation of the seller outside of the sometimes fallable ebay feedback scheme? So many questions, I'm sorry and very appreciative of your help Chaps.

Linky:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-German-Splint ... 5d25dc36b3

Youve got to remember that Camo was a rare item and that Sniping for the Germans was in its infancey.The guide me and Shiek have put together on axis sniper collective forum should steer you in the right direction.
Panzer212

Post by Panzer212 »

Alright then, who was the marksman? What was his job?
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Panzer212 wrote:Alright then, who was the marksman? What was his job?
Ok this is going down hill fast. Have you done any research atall or have you just watched enemy at the gate and thought it looked like a good idea. From the type questions Im gathering its the later. Do some research first. Theres plenty out there too learn. Once youve done that come back and well go from there.
Panzer212

Post by Panzer212 »

I've done research, I know stuff, its not like your asking me any questions. This topic started out with what type of clothing snipers would be issued and nobody could even help me with that. I will do what I think I need to, thank you for trying to help me, good bye.
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Panzer212 wrote:I've done research, I know stuff, its not like your asking me any questions. This topic started out with what type of clothing snipers would be issued and nobody could even help me with that. I will do what I think I need to, thank you for trying to help me, good bye.
Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”