Butter and Jam

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Stigroadie

Butter and Jam

Post by Stigroadie »

Did the Germans use/issue tinned butter and tinned jam? The Brits did, along with tinned cheese.
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

oh come on stig there ya go again getting us to do the leg work again :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

I've seen an original 3kg tin of marmalade if that helps!
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I've had a look about and not found more than hints at tinned jam. Mostly in films, you know the score, jam tins for air vents.
Just wondered if there was any harder evidence. I've found some butter and jam in tins and wondered if a swift re-label would be in order, make a nice breakfast for the troops. If not I'll save it for my Brit impression.
I've got a copy of the Ostfront ration document but I lent it out and I'm not at home anyway. I dont want to fill the bus with a case of tinned jam if there is no job for it.
Scho-Ka-Kola has gone up €1.75 a tin now.
pzrwest

tinned butter

Post by pzrwest »

Yes the germans used tinned butter. My Uboot friend edgar told me a story about the tinned butter. It is a sad story but true. Edgar said that one of his shipmates took a tin of the butter from the stock that was being sent to the garbage and put it in his sea sack to take home on leave for his mutte well from what he said the lad was stopped at as check point and the feldpolitzei found it and they brought the lad back to tha barracks parade square then they formed up the the u-boot crew read out the charges and they shot the lad just for taking a tin of butter. Edgar said that really did alot for moral.
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

blimey stig sounds like your over in germany ?
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

For the next week. Been out looking for bits, those old style lighters and the cheap Kat brand pocket knives and found nowt.
Another day off on Monday so I'll try again in Magdeburg.
FJR6

Post by FJR6 »

Hi,
why didn't you tell me what you were looking for?
I can get the lighters and Mercato knives in almost limitless quantities. Saves you the trouble of searching for the stuff.

best regards,
Volker
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Cheers Volker but it's part of the fun hunting around the shops, keeps me out of the pub.
FJR6

Post by FJR6 »

Hi Sean,
in that case I'm not going to be a spoilsport. Happy hunting.

best regards,
Volker
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Stigroadie wrote:For the next week. Been out looking for bits, those old style lighters and the cheap Kat brand pocket knives and found nowt.
Another day off on Monday so I'll try again in Magdeburg.
Stig, try Apfel kraut....or something like this. Mark had some at the weekend and its not bad once youve mixed it in with some tinned cream. I'm off this afternoon to have my arteries swapped though....damn stuff is a heartattack in a tin. :lol:
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Not back in Germany for a couple of weeks, Ljubljana today, might be some treats here. Got a day off in Vienna though, anything I should check out? Done the Opera and the palace and the big wheel in the park.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”