Where German units surrendered

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Botty

Where German units surrendered

Post by Botty »

I am interested in finding out what German units surrendered to the allies at Lebenstedt at the end of the war.

A map where that town is is here:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=neuste ... Salzgitter

Anyone know of any (easyish) way of finding out? I would be interested in finding out which allied units were in the area as well. Especially on 12 May 1945.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
SchutzeHagemann

Re: Where German units surrendered

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Botty wrote:I am interested in finding out what German units surrendered to the allies at Lebenstedt at the end of the war.

Anyone know of any (easyish) way of finding out? I would be interested in finding out which allied units were in the area as well. Especially on 12 May 1945.
Might find some good metal detector finds there, if it is legal.
Kampfgruppe Steiner
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

SchutzeHagemann wrote:
Botty wrote:I am interested in finding out what German units surrendered to the allies at Lebenstedt at the end of the war.

The new American fascination. If its WW2 and metal, lets dig it up, or buy it for silly money off someone who has. :roll: Not having a go at you personally, but I keep seeing Americans popping up on battlefield archaeology forums, asking to buy dug finds. Its funding a huge market in grave robbing in eastern Europe, where legislation on WW2 sites is none-existant.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Gott Mit Uns wrote:
SchutzeHagemann wrote:

The new American fascination. If its WW2 and metal, lets dig it up, or buy it for silly money off someone who has. :roll: Not having a go at you personally, but I keep seeing Americans popping up on battlefield archaeology forums, asking to buy dug finds. Its funding a huge market in grave robbing in eastern Europe, where legislation on WW2 sites is none-existant.
Oh I hate buying relics. They do no good in my collection. I like the minty stuff. ;)

But all I was getting at G.M.U. is that it would be interesting to see what the German soldiers left behind when they were being searched. (Personal effects and such).
Kampfgruppe Steiner
Botty

Post by Botty »

Not coming at it from that angle. I am still trying to gather info about the original owner of my photographic equipment.
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

SH: Yep, it would be very interesting, unfortunately these places are apart of the backlog of archaeological sites yet to be investigated. And those who are digging up these sites, are often doing it for personal gain. If it were me, I would be investigating the sites methodically and donating the artefacts to a local museum. Even if they didnt want them, at least you can say "Ive recorded the site properly and Ive given you the opportunity of taking advantage of my work".

Mark, have you found a 35mm processor yet? There is a modern one being sold in America for $200.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Botty

Post by Botty »

Got a pre-war 35mm one. It's a 120 one I am after now.
Botty

Post by Botty »

Well slowly getting somewhere. The town was taken April 10/11 by the American 2ND armoured division (which explains why the camera ended up in the USA). The town was only handed over to the British in June 1945.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”