Changing units

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Steiner

Changing units

Post by Steiner »

I seem to recall it said that awards issued could always be worn, even if the recipient was moved to a different type of unit. e.g. a Kriegsmarine award could be worn even if the recipient was moved to the Heer Infanterie. Is this correct?
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
Schenk

Re: Changing units

Post by Schenk »

Of course it would. You should hand in your SA sports badge as well if that were true.
rednas

Post by rednas »

Yes, a lot of (unusual) photos are known with infanterie wearing KM badges and even a panzercrewman with a Uboot abzeichen :D
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Thanks. I know that many troops were drafted into Volksgrenadier units from the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine, in the later war period. How common was it before that time to transfer soldiers to different units? e.g. Infanterie to Sturmpioniere - would that ever happen?
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
rednas

Post by rednas »

Not only to volksgrenadier units. From 1943 onwards many LW and KM units were transferred to all kinds of Heer and Waffen SS units.

The thing your talking about , with specializing also happened a lot, but often not backwards. They wouldnt prefer to change specialized men back in regular inf. units.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”