GSO Breeches

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
BedsnHerts

GSO Breeches

Post by BedsnHerts »

Does anyone know the correct width of the carmine colored stripes that went up the side of the riding breeches worn by officers of the General Staff? I know that the stripes comprised of piping down the leg seam and two stripes either side, but what was the width of those stripes?
Hoffman Grink

Re: GSO Breeches

Post by Hoffman Grink »

2" or 5cm. Do I see a poncy German uniform on the horizon?
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

Ha.

You do indeed. It's been under construction for well over a year now. I have a pair of Pirschen breeches that have lacing on the calves. Unfortunately the lacing comes up about six inches too high and is visible over the top of my Ebay purchased high shaft riding boots. I've been wracking my brains on how to fix this and the only solution I can think of is sew them up and add some GSO stripes to cover the lace holes. Unfortunately the trews aren't gabardine but it's either that or put them in the attic for the next 20 years.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Wowsers - Das General!!! Stripes are notoriously difficult to get on to trousers successfully. and you are going to attempt breeches.......
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

Nah, I'm not going to attempt anything :D

There's a very talented craftsman tailor near where I live who should hopefully be able to do this without too much trouble. I just need to track down some carmine red fabric (not sure what the difference is between carmine red and magenta).
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

BedsnHerts wrote:Unfortunately the lacing comes up about six inches too high and is visible over the top of my Ebay purchased high shaft riding boots.
I've seen that in numerous original photos.

Good luck with the project btw.
I got a similar project and would like to see your result.
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

Mikkel wrote:I've seen that in numerous original photos.
Maybe they got theirs from Pirschen too :D

Would you be able to post a couple of your pics showing exposed lacing?

I'll make sure to take some pics of the work in progress.
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

I don't have many photos on my computer (and none on this one). There are several for example, in Beavers 'Uniforms of The Waffen SS'.

I'll look forward to see your progress. Perhaps my own is going to advance also in the near future. I just got a few other uniform projects that take my attention currently.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”