german tactics

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.

german tactics

Post by THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. »

here's a link for you newbies like me,
To better understand the average infantryman, one must also be familiar with his training. In this section you will find articles concerning such topics as: squad formations, rifle drill, combat tactics, commands, whistle signals,hand signals and much more.

http://www.dererstezug.com/CommandsTactics.htm

enjoy!
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.
3kp 1 pz div.LSSAH.

Peter Bauer

Re: german tactics

Post by Peter Bauer »

Best thing to do is to buy the books those articles are mostly based - the infantry manuals translated in english. They are full of good information.
rednas

Post by rednas »

Also note that these articles are based on pre-war handbooks. During the war they made big changes to the basic infantry doctrines based on combat experience in Polen 1939.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Which you can also buy :D
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

I would love to know how much effort goes into correct tactics in re-enactment outside Finland...?
dagda

Post by dagda »

None at all! I mean,really!!! Not being smart but perhaps you should reread your sentence? Most groups would have training days and original tactics would be a big part of it!
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

what are tactics??? are they like tic tacs? but waffenampt??
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

I reread my sentence.

Seriously, I don't know what you guys do in the UK. All I see is few photos.

I was wondering how and where you practice the tactics? How you do things? I know american re-enactors call mindless blank firing battles in the woods "tacticals" but I don't know if it's the same there.

I am just curious, and instead of being smartass, you might want to share the knowledge.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Peter Bauer wrote:I reread my sentence.

Seriously, I don't know what you guys do in the UK. All I see is few photos.

I was wondering how and where you practice the tactics? How you do things? I know american re-enactors call mindless blank firing battles in the woods "tacticals" but I don't know if it's the same there.

I am just curious, and instead of being smartass, you might want to share the knowledge.
I can only see one smartass on this thread and not a very friendly one at that. Basically you are putting us down at the same time as asking for our knowledge. For your information ssparatrooper is one of the guys in the UK who not only understands, practices and is capable of putting into practice proper, valid WWII German "tactics" but he is a very qualified instructor who regularly holds weekends with his group. There are others in UK who put into practice what they learn....... The "few photos" you see may not be very representative....... There are some very good gruppen in this respect. Not many I grant you - but enough.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Alright, lets try this in another way. As I don't speak english as my mother tongue, you might have misunderstood me.

At no point have I been asking you things in this topic in HOSTILE manner, atleast that wasn't my purpose! I have tremendous respect for the british re-enactment community, and I am jealous of not being able to live there and be part of it.

I am genuinely INTERESTED in how you do things there! Remember, re-enactment community in Finland is very small and we rarely get to do things like this properly, so I was hoping to hear how other people do it. I know how *some* americans do it, but as far as I know the level of re-enactment in UK is much higher than in the states, so I would like to know how and what you do.

What I said about the pictures, was just to point out that 99% of photos posted anywhere on the forums are photos from public events or otherwise posed, so they give me very little information on how you might do things. I am also quite sure there are guys who know proper tactics there, no doubt! I would love to hear, for example, what and how they teach.

My only perpective to learning tactics is what I learnt in the army, and I'm not sure what they do is the best way.

So I want to apologize you and anyone else who took offence on my words, as I ment no offence.
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

The tactics are very similar to current British tactics, so the transition for ex/serving forces/reserve blokes isnt that hard. And in turn, makes it easier for the guys to teach those who have no knowledge of field-tactics. The main issue Ive come accross with our guys is remembering the German commands - which really means coming to grips with the language.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

The german commands and suci are indeed the biggest problen for us too! Even simple drill commands seem to be hard to remenber from time to time... And i spent 6 years studying german :d

The way we practised field tactics was that we'd go to a large open area, then the instructor told us what we were going to practice. After that we did things in small scale, then larger scale, then moved on to woods and finally had some opponents there. Then in field exercises we would have blanks and laser simulators in use. I guess this is pretty much the same there?

Problen with me personally is that i was specialized in urban combat, so most of the things i know of basic combat in woods etc. Comes from the basic training... Which was quite short! :p i wish we'd have enough men here to have a platoon for training in the field.
rednas

Post by rednas »

I don't have any history in the real modern army, but I think that this can also work in my advantage as I can't mix up modern and ww2 tactics (i've seen this a lot, mostly with mixing Bundeswehr/NVA drill and tactics with the ww2 part).

We've used the handbook 'Gefechtsausbildung der Panzergrenadiere' from Helmut von Wehren (1944) a lot. It shows very clear how armoured, motorized and panzergrenadieren on foot fought in multiple situations. It uses the well known doctrines updated with the experience of 5 years of combat. Next to that we use a lot more handbooks and merkblatter, which give answers how to function in all kind of situations. We train these on our trainingdays and put them into action with mockbattles and tacticals (altough it not always function well with reenactment due to the disadvantages of using blanks).
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Yep I was in a Real Army for a Time I was specialized in urban combat to some extent ( If fighting Paras in a Pub count ) . Like the King of Mongs Kit kat I have a Intrest in tactics here is what we in our unit use See link
http://www.gaissmair.net/waldkampf.htm
In the winter we use ski tactics from a 1943 manual as those that come to our events would know .
As for the comment of photos at shows and not at Tactical events I would of thought that the clue was in the Title :shock: underlined here to help out
ImageImageImageImageImage
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

come and give us a lesson i am all ears, surely we reenactors would all be doing the same drills since we all portray the same thing? ww2 germans?

they would have all had the same training so they could follow orders from a group leader anywhere on any ground on any front drills-drills-drills

tactics are a tool to be used on the ground by a good commander, thats what nco schools are for to teach people to lead please find the manual on the internet for that lol

bad tolz.com a complete guide to the unterfuhrerschuleausbildung in one shortened format for mongs :lol:

a good example is the laffete for the mgs loads at shows or reenactments all set up wrong=looked at a picture know everything there is :roll:

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”