Bunker Prop

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Von Ritter

Bunker Prop

Post by Von Ritter »

Hallo Alles!

I'm building a bunker prop for a Normandie scene, has anybody got any plans, drawings, or general ideas that could help me out??

Danke,

VR
Heinz O. Kaufmann

Re: Bunker Prop

Post by Heinz O. Kaufmann »

Do you mean an MG/gun/AA bunker that where you fight or living quarters?
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

log bunker or concrete bunker?

theres a good osprey book "German field fortifications 1939-45 by Gordon Rottman has loads of good stuff in there :)
Never Surrender. Your Honour lies in victory or death
Von Ritter

Post by Von Ritter »

It's gonna be a MG bunker post for a Normandie impression, hoping to make it out of a timber frame and then attach styrofoam board to the outside (so we can shape the edges and put bullet holes into it etc). We were then going to paint, weather and then harden it with resin. It also has to be light and good for dissassembly as it would have to be transported to many shows (hence the styrofoam board)

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Best regards,

VR
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

There was some good website out there that basicly had articles on ALL the normandy bunkers, but I can't seem to find it now... try googling for it.
Von Ritter

Post by Von Ritter »

Right so,

I've started to make a frame out of 8ft 4x2 rough timber (cheap enough). Hoping to make the bunker as an 8ft square box....The foam I am attaching to the frame comes in 8ft x 4 ft sheets, so keeping it to 8ft Sq keeps the costs down due to off cuts etc

The foam is 150mm thick so it gives me some scope to shave and shape, create bullet holes etc

Will start to attach pics as soon as I have the frame up :wink:

Regards,

VR
Von Ritter

Post by Von Ritter »

Nearly finished now....not too bad for a first timer eh :D

barnaclebill

Post by barnaclebill »

Its a lot better then many I've seen, good work :wink:
Matt, 85th Gebirgsjager, part of the '39-45 Society'.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Nice...!!
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Wow that looks great. Would love to see more photo if you have them. Great work
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

wolfsangel

Post by wolfsangel »

did you use a resin sealer in the end? Iask as I thought it might melt through the foam
Frontschweine, Regiment 409
TacAide

Post by TacAide »

Going well, Von! Better watch out I hear the Padre and the Yanks have a 'bunker buster' in the pipeline for this weekend in Duncannon. You could end up covered from head to toe in poly-whats-its-name. :)
Von Ritter

Post by Von Ritter »

Thanks everybody!! :oops:
dog green 1 wrote:Wow that looks great. Would love to see more photo if you have them. Great work
No probs Chris, From start to finish!! :mrgreen:

wolfsangel wrote:did you use a resin sealer in the end? Iask as I thought it might melt through the foam
Didn't chance it...but with 2 coats of exterior wall paint it hardened up quite well
TacAide wrote:Going well, Von! Better watch out I hear the Padre and the Yanks have a 'bunker buster' in the pipeline for this weekend in Duncannon. You could end up covered from head to toe in poly-whats-its-name. :)
I know what they're up to Tac, I hope they know that its only a prop :lol:
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Show off. In the first pic showing it painted have you textured the foam or is it just the way it is? looks very much like concrete. By the way, how are you getting it to and from events? Does it come apart?

Be sure to post up some pics when you have it set up. Can't wait to see it in a field with a gun barrel poking out.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Von Ritter

Post by Von Ritter »

dog green 1 wrote:Show off. In the first pic showing it painted have you textured the foam or is it just the way it is? looks very much like concrete. By the way, how are you getting it to and from events? Does it come apart?

Be sure to post up some pics when you have it set up. Can't wait to see it in a field with a gun barrel poking out.
show off!... You have some bloody cheek, Chris :lol: you were the one asking for the photos!!

The foam is actually some stuff called xtratherm, it's like that insulating board that you put into walls. It's fairly expensive, but the good thing about it is that when you peel away the silver backing, It looks like concrete :) a bit of luck there, I think!!! The foam board came in 8 x 4 lengths. So when you take it all apart is flat packs down like something out of IKEA ha ha ha ha

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”