Hobb Nail Boots

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Kaben

Hobb Nail Boots

Post by Kaben »

Hi Guys,

I need to replace the metal "horse shoe" that goes around the heel section of my marching boots.

Is this something that should be readily available at a cobblers? If not, what are they called and where can i get them?

As an aside, do any of you know of a decent cobbler in Kent?

Cheers!

Rob
Erich Johann

Re: Hobb Nail Boots

Post by Erich Johann »

I'd call it a "heel iron" or "heel rim."
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

I used to get my boots done by a guy in Strood,kent,but I do not think he has 'heel irons'any more.There is a place in Gillingham high street that advertised he did heel irons and studs,but I have not seen any of his work to say good or not.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

Hello John , is this the man we was talking about a few weeks ago ? (Strood) as i am getting some hob nails sent to me and need the job done properly :wink:

mike
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

The cobbler I've just started using can order the irons in, as and when needed. Perhaps yours could too?
He replaced the irons[well nasty cheap pot metal junk] on an old pair of ATF boots I use for battles. Did a cracking job for £7. He is in Lincolnshire though, not much use to you.
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Hennig wrote:Hello John , is this the man we was talking about a few weeks ago ? (Strood) as i am getting some hob nails sent to me and need the job done properly :wink:

Yes.He doe's a good job,but I don't think he likes doing lots of stud work :lol: but it doe's not hurt to ask.

mike
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Kaben

Post by Kaben »

Thanks for the info guys :)
Brigardefuhrer wrote:I used to get my boots done by a guy in Strood,kent,but I do not think he has 'heel irons'any more.There is a place in Gillingham high street that advertised he did heel irons and studs,but I have not seen any of his work to say good or not.
Many Thanks for the help - Do you have any contact details or business names for either the Strood or Gillingham cobblers?
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Tolgate shoe repairs,9Tolgate lane,strood kent.tel;(01634)723902.Its in an ally,leading from Strood carpark to the high st.I can't remember the name of the Gillingham one,might be timpsons,but not sure.Its not far from where I live so I can have a wander and then get back to you.
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

[quote="Brigardefuhrer"]Tolgate shoe repairs,9Tolgate lane,strood kent.tel;(01634)723902.Its in an ally,leading from Strood carpark to the high st.I can't remember the name of the Gillingham one,might be timpsons,but not sure.Its not far from where I live so I can have a wander and then get back to you.[/quote]

I have also been told of a good place down star hill but need to find it 1st doh !
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
Kaben

Post by Kaben »

Thanks Brigardefuhrer, I will give them a call today. :D
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Hennig wrote:
Brigardefuhrer wrote:Tolgate shoe repairs,9Tolgate lane,strood kent.tel;(01634)723902.Its in an ally,leading from Strood carpark to the high st.I can't remember the name of the Gillingham one,might be timpsons,but not sure.Its not far from where I live so I can have a wander and then get back to you.

I have also been told of a good place down star hill but need to find it 1st doh !
Can't say I've seen it either,check out your local yellow page's.Trouble is these days a lot of these so called shoe repairers only want to slap on a bit of glue and a rubber sole/heels any thing else is too much trouble.
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Rose gets mine re-heeled at a place in Dagenham Heathway, but he nails on the British style horseshoes. They are effective but obviously not correct.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Tip's shoe bar.84.high st Gillingham.(01634)826244.
With ref; to Kev's post,if you can get heel irons fitted you will get British army style and not the German army style unless you supply your own,Malcolm Wagner I think has originals sometimes,but it depends on the size of heel of your boots as heel irons come in differant size's.
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Germany ebay sometimes sell originals on their 1818-1945 militaria section, but you really need to get the correct size.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Casbah Rock

Post by Casbah Rock »

Hi Kev,

Any chance of a pic of the brit heels and where in the Heathway is this cobblers please. Ive found a decent one in Romford that replaces missing quick lace-up eyelets at the top of the low boots ;)
SS-Rottenführer Kotzur
Zweite Kampfgruppe
1. SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”