Photography

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Kriegsberichter

Photography

Post by Kriegsberichter »

Hey Guys,
I am Joseph R, I run a Design and Photography company. As a photographer and a past re-enactor, I want to get back into re-enacting in a creative way. Basically, what I want to do is mix my photography with re-enactment, and maybe even add it to part of my photography company. How viable is it for me to do this? For example, what if I got one or two of my team to re-enact Kriegsberichter during shows/private battles and bring my posh cameras and equipment, taking good photographs… Would people be interested in buying these “event photographs”? or maybe studio standard photos with proper lighting etc? Bearing in mind I would organize my participation with the event organizer beforehand.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Joe
Franz repper

Re: Photography

Post by Franz repper »

Joe would be a good idea if you tell what part of the world your from
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kriegsberichter

I am from the UK, I am willing to travel thoughout all the UK. If I get enough people showing support of the idea, then I will put it into action. I will add screenshots of the webpage soon. I have done tings for paintball teams etc, so I dont see why this couldnt work too.
Kriegsberichter

Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

Thing is,

There are plenty of photographers who goto events and take so many pictures , that there is bound to be one of you and they are publicly availible on the net. if i want a picture of me at an event, ill get nick halling or a friend to take a picture :) . There are also plenty of amatuer photographers who are just as good as 'professional' photographers that follow groups around.

Now, studio portraits are something that is rarely done and if done correctly, you could offer a service to reenactors for it.
Kriegsberichter

Yes, that was what I was thinking. I mean, the studio style sorta photos can be done in many ways, its quite versatile, it can be done in a isolated studio tent or alternativly little scenario's could be set up in field. All with correct lighting and of course and as we are attached to the design company, special effects is no problem. Another proposal put forward to me was photos for repro paperwork....

Just out of interest. Do the event photographers wear the proper attire or are they in civvis ?
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

alot of photographers wear High Vis bibs as official events photographers . But people like Nick Halling, Stuart Gold , wear period tyle clothing.

Another aspect of photography is getting into proper photoshoots , orginising locations, make up and props to make a series of photos which look like they came from a film :)
Kriegsberichter

Yup indeed. As I said, I would outfit my photographic team with proper uniforms e.g. Kriegsberichter.

Maybe I get in contact with the next event organiser and bring down all my stuff and get a shoot going...

If all the conditions were correct and it was all done properly, would many reenactors be interested in the service that I would provide?
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

I cant see what benefit you would get dressing up in uniform at a public event as your photographers wouldnt be in the 'shot' so there for would only be a cosmetic for your photographers and not us.

The 2 main photographers that dress up do so because they are in the 'public battles' which , there photos are readily availible to the reenactors so you wont be offering anything new in which us reenactors get given by being apart of the battle photographers :).

The only financial gain i can see happening is that, you bring a big white tent , eqiup it out as a mini studio and have a sign saying ' Studio portraits £££' if you know what i mean. Even then you will have to pay a fee as a trader to the orginiser. I would expect that you would get more custom from the non reenactors promenaders then reenactors as alot of small time 40's events have more civilians dressing up then reenactors. WHich isnt a bad thing because there the people who would be more thrilled of having a lovely photo taken of them as most of us have many photos :) .

Just my opinion and not factual truth :)
Kriegsberichter

Muchly agreed with there. The reason I would propose uniforms would be to keep realism for the event. I also suppose with increasing ammo prices people wouldnt want to spend money on a photo on top of that? What I have done for things like paintball teams is provide like a media pack... e.g website + studio photo + portrait photo + literature... But I suppose thats not so much called for in the re-enactment world...
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

unless your using original camera, original lighting, original tent, original everything else. Then i wouldnt concern yourself with the realism of your portrayal because you are offering a modern service .

At public events, unless its roped off, its modern :)

Providing a service that can produce this

Well, i bet you will get biusness , i cant speak for everyone . Best thing would to be to turn up to a local event, pitch your tent and find out :)
Kriegsberichter

Ahh thats good, that is exactly the sorta thing i can do !
Botty

Post by Botty »

And if you want any info on how to do the uniform etc correctly drop me a PM.

I hope to expand by re-enacting this year and do more of what I did at the victory show last year (but better). Period tent, camera equipment, processing and developing all at the event. Maybe we can do something together? I am not interested in the commercial side but would love the chance to improve my photo taking.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

There is nothing on your website sir. We can not therefore yet judge the veracity of your claims. And bear in mind that what you are proposing to do is already being done as Kamerad Gowerr u. Bott point out. The photographers already engaged have taken years to build up relationships with both re-enactors and organisers. They have also perfected other skills such as battlefield awareness and unobtrusiveness.

Primarily this hobby is about recreation and in doing that it gets quite chaotic and busy in places. I am party to the organisation and execution of some pretty big battles and shows so take it from me - a photographer straight out of the box into re-enactment would not be allowed free access immediately.

Good idea - well presented but already being done well.

Should you wish to progress it please also check with your insurer that you will be covered for the activities involved in WWII reenactment. Insurance companies tend to go a shade whiter when pyrotechnics and tracked vehicles get a mention :lol:

Grink

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”