IRISH SERVING THE REICH

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Shergar

IRISH SERVING THE REICH

Post by Shergar »

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHERE THERE ANY RECORDED INSTANCES OF IRISH MEN FIGHTING FOR THE 3RD REICH , IM AWARE APPROX 100,000 FOUGHT FOR BRITAIN , SEAN RUSSELL DIED ON ROUTE BACK TO IRELAND WHILST ON A U BOAT AND FRANK RYAN DIED IN A MILITARY HOSPITAL AT A CONCENTRATION CAMP I BELIEVE THEY WERE RECRUITED JUST CURIOUS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OUT OF THE ASHES
sig rune

Post by sig rune »

I don't think that you could class these men as fighting for the Reich, were they not just looking German support for the IRA.
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

what i mean is did any fight for the british free corps. i know that not many signed up from the prisoner of war camps, but about thirty did eventually; what were their nationalities i believe one is still alive and living in australia . what happened to the rest , were they executed history books tend to avoid this issue
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

Most of the BFC were given short 'slap on the wrist' prison sentences, rarely more than a year. Only one, in fact, was executed. I can't lay hands on the book at the moment, but there was definitely at least one Irishman serving with them. See Adrian Weale, 'Renegades' (still available via Amazon) for full details, it's a cracking read as well.
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

No Irishmen served with the British Free Corps.
But three Irishmen served with the Waffen-SS in other units.

SS Medical Department

Doctor Patrick O Neill

SS-Jagdverbande "Mitte"

James Brady
Frank Stringer

For more information take a look at the BFC article on my website
http://www.bills-bunker.privat.t-online.de/64090.html

Cheers, Bill

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”