Boot Dubbin

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Feldwebel

Boot Dubbin

Post by Feldwebel »

As I know bugger all about low boots, I'll ask another noob-esque question on the topic. Now I've got the laces, and I want mah boots to be a nice light brown, but not too red-brown like the pics showing neatsfoot oil use.

Should I leave them to darken with use? Is there a specific type of dubbin I should get that's close to original stuff, and if so, where izzit and how much?
Is there any stuff I should avoid which might damage my beautiful bootses?

If I'm to use dubbin, are there any tips anyone could offer for application to suede? I'm too young to know these things, go easy on me guys.
Gott Mit Uns

Re: Boot Dubbin

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Feldwebel wrote:As I know bugger all about low boots, I'll ask another noob-esque question on the topic. Now I've got the laces, and I want mah boots to be a nice light brown, but not too red-brown like the pics showing neatsfoot oil use.

Should I leave them to darken with use? Is there a specific type of dubbin I should get that's close to original stuff, and if so, where izzit and how much?
Is there any stuff I should avoid which might damage my beautiful bootses?

If I'm to use dubbin, are there any tips anyone could offer for application to suede? I'm too young to know these things, go easy on me guys.
A) Your never too young
B) Dubin will darken your boots to that red-brown colour. Dubin, as well as most leather protecters will darken the leather. I suppose you could try applying the dubin sparingly....
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Feldwebel

Post by Feldwebel »

Was it regulation to put dubin on boots in 1943? I have a vague recollection of a topic somewhere asking a similar question, but I forgot the outcome.
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Feldwebel wrote:Was it regulation to put dubin on boots in 1943? I have a vague recollection of a topic somewhere asking a similar question, but I forgot the outcome.
The order for ankle boots to be dubbed rather than polished was in fact 1943 yes. :) However you do still see a mix.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”