a question about boots...

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Herr Taff

a question about boots...

Post by Herr Taff »

Any advice or opinion on sourcing a pair of jackboots? while we all strive to be authentic, what boots are accepatable?
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

up to you wether you have ankle or jackboots.
its the usual suspects to get them from though .....SOF or underwood
the only ones to avoid are jackboots with toecaps they just are NOT right
Rich
Coming Soon..........
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Both Underwood and SOF do the brown leather late-war ankle boots, that just needing dubbing. See if you can locate some old Royal Navy Ammo Boots without the leather toe cap - normally around £25-45, should have heel irons and hob-nails on them. Don't worry if they don't. I made the mistake some years ago of buying WW2 dated British Army boots, alas they have a toe cap. For jack-boots try East German Parade boots, but be aware that some have moulded soles.
Formerly of GD Recon.
Irwin

Post by Irwin »

and be aware that some of the boots you buy are 30 years old leather! my jackboots from SOF came complete with hobnails and heel irons, but also had the consistency of very dry wood.

needless to say there are bloodstains in them :) but they are fine now ... which probably means they'll fall apart very soon :)
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Then they start shedding hob-nails. My first pair of boots now have very few of the hob-nails left on them, lost loads in Jersey when we filmed there. Somehting about keeping the soles moist and not letting them dry out I think.

:(

Also if your buying a new pair, bed them in first. As Irwin knows blisters are a pain.
Formerly of GD Recon.
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

I'm not to sure as the exact product. But I think something like Neatsfoot oil to keep the leather sole supple. Once it dries out the buggers start to work loose. Watch out for thought when using it has the oil as a habit of eating thread. Failing that try a bit of dubbin on the soles. Then give them a good hammer for any that work loose. Must buy a wire brush to keep the soles clean.
Formerly of GD Recon.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”