''Over the Top''?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
jeep111

Re: ''Over the Top''?

Post by jeep111 »

comments welcome :P
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

You do realise,if you are caught with that "safe conduct pass" the FG will have a very "serious"
word with you :twisted: :lol:
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
jeep111

Post by jeep111 »

why kamerad i captured this disgracefull propaganda to hand it to our officer :roll:
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

I used to carry a bread bag full of period things but i got sick and tired of smashing it all to bits!

I now just carry scoff, esbit, cleaning kit, butt plugs :lol:
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

jeep111 wrote:i want a pipe , but i dont want to spend loads (its only for display) any suggestions where from.
heres some of my personal kit
Good pics jeep :wink:
Thats all you need really :D
A good site for personal gear is the Soldiers of Fortune site :shock: (yeah i know :lol: :lol: )
His uniforms and badges suck :lol: but the personal stuffs ok :wink:

Regards P. :D
dutch508

Post by dutch508 »

I will post this, not as a historical perspective, but from my own experiences in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I noticed that before we deployed the first time (although I had been in Desert Storm some ten years prior, I too, had the same mentality) to Afghanistan we stuffed as much crap as we could carry in our packs and pockets. As time went by in the field, less and less crap did we carry until we all seemed to find the right amount. It differed from soldier to soldier, in both the amounts and the items carried.

When we got a new soldier in they always seems to be carrying every single item that they possibly could. It was funny to us who had been there for awhile. Slowly, these new troops would de-clutter themselves until they too carried just what they needed.

In iraq, I had a new LT show up who had every single loop on his IBA full of something. It must have weighted close to 80 lbs. he never did loose any of it or lighten his load any. Of course, he rode around in a 1025, and didn't get out and hump as much as the rest of us.

I would assume that the German Soldier was similar in experiences.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I think they may have started with less and moved up to as much as they could beg steal or borrow?
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

dutch508 wrote:I will post this, not as a historical perspective, but from my own experiences in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I noticed that before we deployed the first time (although I had been in Desert Storm some ten years prior, I too, had the same mentality) to Afghanistan we stuffed as much crap as we could carry in our packs and pockets. As time went by in the field, less and less crap did we carry until we all seemed to find the right amount. It differed from soldier to soldier, in both the amounts and the items carried.

When we got a new soldier in they always seems to be carrying every single item that they possibly could. It was funny to us who had been there for awhile. Slowly, these new troops would de-clutter themselves until they too carried just what they needed.

In iraq, I had a new LT show up who had every single loop on his IBA full of something. It must have weighted close to 80 lbs. he never did loose any of it or lighten his load any. Of course, he rode around in a 1025, and didn't get out and hump as much as the rest of us.

I would assume that the German Soldier was similar in experiences.
Good simililarities :D
In the case of the Wartime German soldier though, most of the stuff such as tobacco and chocolate etc,
was private purchase anyway which were bought as comforts/luxuries to ease the misery of the front line :wink:
Basically the more affluent/higher Rank you were, the more items/luxuries you purchased/carried :D
Regards Peiper :wink:
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

You can not compare modern soldiering with that of the period of the second world war.
More often than not, modern army experience are more of a hinderance than a benefit.
Just take a very simple example; In modern warfare you are sure to keep your gun shouldered at most times in combat situations. To do so in reenactment context would be a 'sin'.

IN the vietnam war, us soldiers did all kinds of odd modifications to their kit and clothing. Have you ever seen a single german feldbluse with the sleeves torn off?
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Mikkel wrote:You can not compare modern soldiering with that of the period of the second world war.
I don't think i did? :?
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

It wasn't to you, but 'people' in general. I'm not a native english speaker (writer), so my use of the language comes out a bit clumsy from time to time :)
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Mikkel wrote: Have you ever seen a single german feldbluse with the sleeves torn off?
uuh not to destroy your point, because I agree with you, but I have actually seen a photograph of a soldier with a sleeveless feldbluse once. Can't remember where, probably on WAF or something. Must have saved it SOMEWHERE surely? Just about anything is possible when talking about the ww2 german army. The most bizarre stuff comes up.
dutch508

Post by dutch508 »

Not worried about translation difficulties, no problem, Mikkel.

My point was not to say modern military practices are the same as WWII. I was talking about carrying 'stuff'. Most of the equipment we took into Afghanistan was private purchase. We got a basic load from CIF, and then added much to it.

As for sundries, we carried alot of extra stuff as well. Not everything was MREs, you know. My personal fav was trail mix from Walmart that I got send from home. The longer we were in action, the less stuff we carried.

Reenactors in general carry way too much crap. They would not be combat effective for long periods of time, carrying what they do. However, you can not gain that knowledge by simply attending a weekend event with nights off nad three straight meals a day.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

dutch508 wrote:Not worried about translation difficulties, no problem, Mikkel.

My point was not to say modern military practices are the same as WWII. I was talking about carrying 'stuff'. Most of the equipment we took into Afghanistan was private purchase. We got a basic load from CIF, and then added much to it.

As for sundries, we carried alot of extra stuff as well. Not everything was MREs, you know. My personal fav was trail mix from Walmart that I got send from home. The longer we were in action, the less stuff we carried.

Reenactors in general carry way too much crap. They would not be combat effective for long periods of time, carrying what they do. However, you can not gain that knowledge by simply attending a weekend event with nights off nad three straight meals a day.
Sir I would a gree with you on this one I was told by one veteran that they carried very little and no it was not down to they didnot have the stuff they just did not want to carry it .I said some posts back as well it would depend on your job as well what you would have on you . I panzer crew man would have very little in his pockets as this may stop him getting out fast! A signals guy or pionere will carry more and tools that he needs in his pockets . On a long march this would be removed as you dont want crap banging the side of you leg for KMs
ImageImageImageImageImage
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Greetings kameraden :D
I agree :D
The points made on all posts are very valid, i did read somewhere that "vets"
got rid of their gasmasks because they couldn't be arsed to carry them :lol:
However they did keep the tins but to keep personal stuff inside them instead :wink:
I reckon the majority of reenactors (myself included) carry extra stuff because it gives
them something to show the MOP's at events, it looks more impressive on display than
showing them what was really carried which was probably just a packet of cigarettes,
(if you were lucky :lol: )

Regards Peiper :wink:

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”