Calling Them Home

European discussion. Post events here too.
von bock

Calling Them Home

Post by von bock »

This annual event hosted by The Pard's will be held on the weekend of the 30th & 31st Aug '08 at Charles Fort, Kinsale Co Cork
The event will close heritage week for the fort as it has every year up to now. This will be our seventh year in a row at this location, which is one of the best in Ireland.

The event is multi-period and is an well established and attended.

Anyone interested in attending can contact us through our website.Hope to hear from you

Fight the Good Fight
http://www.callingthemhome.com

p.s posted on behalf of The Pards
SS KAMPFGRUPPE KNITTEL gustav.knittel@btinternet.com
"never argue with an idiot !!they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
http://ww2reenactingireland.co.uk/
SchnellMeyer

Re: Calling Them Home

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Sadly this show in Co.Cork is also on the same date as the Salute Show in Dublin , pity to see both shows clashing .But guys will just have to make up their minds where they want to go .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
Kurt Steiner

Post by Kurt Steiner »

It's good to see a choice of shows available.

Balderick: Whats the standard procedure when you step on a landmine Sir?

Blackadder: That's easy Balderick. Jump 200ft in the air & spread yourself over a 1/2 mile radius.
von bock

Post by von bock »

Kurt Steiner wrote:It's good to see a choice of shows available.
yes it is Kurt the more the merrier i think :mrgreen:
"never argue with an idiot !!they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Of course Gentlemen , it is great to see more shows in Ireland but my point is that it is a pity to see these two shows fixed for the same dates. Instead of we being able to attend two shows , clubs will now have to pick one .

re-enactment group
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

von bock wrote:
Kurt Steiner wrote:It's good to see a choice of shows available.
yes it is Kurt the more the merrier i think :mrgreen:
the Irish reenactment schedule of events is expanding that can only be a good thing , :D from what i have read on http://www.livinghistory.ie and the general chat between the spectrum off groups that support each other this show in kinsale is growing yearly and this year is no exception and is run by a good friend of KGK Dave Levins .also please keep on topic as this thread relates solely to calling them home event
THREAD REF ON living history

http://www.livinghistory.ie/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

I would just like to give a large round of appaulse to the organiser's of the Calling them Home event .
The two days we spent in Kinsale Cork were quite interesting and eventful and the standard and spectrum of re-eacting simply would be hard to replicate any where in Ireland and beyond .
The varying groups worked well together and the interaction between the MOP's and the groups was great , We in KGK were inudated throughout the two days by the public and we were very well received by one , with people both enquiring and appying to join KGK and asking whether or not we would set up a cork branch of KGK Ireland .
I would personally like to give my sincere thanks to , Dave , Martin , Mock , Scranny , Tom ( who harassed me all weekend ) Sean , Ray and Bridget , Kevin and Maura , Mike Rowley and Martin , The Lord Edwards own , the Romans , The Irish war of Independence , the Celts, Jack boot and every one else especially my special friend David Owens a true gent and to every one else who we met throughout our stay at kinsale . BÉIDH MUID ANN 2009
TacAide

Post by TacAide »

Shergar wrote:The two days we spent in Kinsale Cork were quite interesting and eventful and the standard and spectrum of re-eacting simply would be hard to replicate any where in Ireland and beyond....
Are you posting any photos of the event?
von bock

Post by von bock »

Big thanks to Dave and the rest of the organisers of ''Calling them home'' it was a great show nice and relaxed i had a blast ,it was free for the public and the setting was unreal , Charles Fort has some fantastic scenic views well worth a visit even for a holiday
TacAide

Post by TacAide »

TacAide wrote:
Shergar wrote:The two days we spent in Kinsale Cork were quite interesting and eventful and the standard and spectrum of re-eacting simply would be hard to replicate any where in Ireland and beyond....
Are you posting any photos of the event?
Have I missed the photos of the WW2 reenactors at Kinsale? Is anyone posting same? If I have missed them, here or elsewhere, I apologise but one picture is still worth a thousand words.
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

I was not at this event as it clashed with the Salute show in Dublin .The setting is pretty good as I have been to Charles Fort before and the scenery there is beautiful too . But there is always next year , would be nice to see some photos of what the standard of the reenactment was like at that event , then we can see if that event is worth attending.

re-enactment group
von bock

Post by von bock »

posting on behalf of the Pard's!!!!!! :D
Greeting from The Pard's,

Well the weekend passed in what seemed to be the blinking of an eye!

May we first start out by saying a big and heartfelt 'THANK YOU' to all you guys and gals who took the time to join us at Charles Fort last weekend. You all know who you are and I do'nt want to start naming names for fear of leaving someone out! I tried to get to everyone before we broke up on Sunday to say 'thanks' but I know I missed some people....apologies to anyone I missed, we were delighted that you came to the event.
We're not going to get into the normal backslapping and self promotion that usually follows an event, we'll leave that to others. Just know that we really appreciate what you all did, and will not forget it.

Calling Them Home was originally set up as an event for our group, the fact that it has grown to what it is today is down to friendship and trust. We have always believed that we were better off with having 30 re-enactors who would work together and enjoy themselves that 300 who would end up fighting and bickering amongst themselves, hopefully that takes us out of the 'biggest/best/premium/largest' debate?

The OPW staff at the site were delighted with the interaction between groups and the public attending. We had the largest (sorry!) attendance at the site on a weekend since it was taken over in 1973! Well done to all.

The Pard's accept that events will always clash. Some clashes may be avoidable through dialogue, but we know that there are some that will never be resolved by any amount of talking or threads on the web. There are people who we cannot talk to and will not waste our time on any more. Thankfully they are a minority.

To finish on a possitive note it was great to see so many friends again, some old friends that we had'nt seen in a while, and the new friends we met for the first time. We were the richer for your presence. Onward to 2009!

Historia est vitae magistra!

David Levins,
Event Administrator,
The Pard's

http://livinghistory.ie/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=447

http://livinghistory.ie/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=440

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

you havent missed the photographs as i have not yet had time to post them up , as we have had other events to attend and business to attend too , as our schedule is full and thankfully coming to a conclusion for this year with an event this weekend coming and two others after that . charlesfort is indeed a beautiful location in southern ireland and the pards have a wonderful location to host this show , however the quality of an event should not be judged upon the location alone but as an intergral part of the overall experience . the other groups that were there made the event from ww1 to ww2 british and americans who displayed well and entertained the large attendence from the members of the public to our friends that make up the wild geese community of re-enactors of which we belong to and also give support to . much was covered during our stay there with the other groups and we will be supporting these grouping in the forthcoming year ahead and they us and it is heartening to see other german groups like michael rowley and martin and conn from the das reich come on board open minded and in a spirit of of openess and friendship and move forward together . we now have more organisers of shows inviting us to their events and we will endeavour to honour our committments and will continue only to work with quality groups in ireland .
Peter Irons

Post by Peter Irons »

SchnellMeyer wrote:I was not at this event as it clashed with the Salute show in Dublin .The setting is pretty good as I have been to Charles Fort before and the scenery there is beautiful too . But there is always next year , would be nice to see some photos of what the standard of the reenactment was like at that event , then we can see if that event is worth attending.
Well, unless anybody was killed by gunfire, I think it's safe to say that the standard of re-enactment at this event was probably the same as any event :wink:
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Well Mr.Irons as you are new to this forum and possibly to our hobby and as this is your first post .Let me explain what I meant by my post so nobody will get confused here . All events are different , some like military vehicles , more like reenactment . Our club Battlegroupsouth like both , we did the Salute show as the was a mock battle there and plenty of vehicles , the standard was very high by both camps ,German and Allied . As I have yet to see photos from the show in Kinsale , I dont know what the standard was like down there . As we attend many events now we like to know before hand what such shows are like , its that simple .
I have been promised some photos from a friend who was at the Kinsale show and when I get them in the next day or so I will post them up here so we can all see what this show was like .
And no , thank god nobody did get killed at either show .

re-enactment group

Return to “European reenactment and events”