Duncannon - June Bank Holiday Weekend

European discussion. Post events here too.
Duchess

Duncannon - June Bank Holiday Weekend

Post by Duchess »

Well another June Bank Holiday is over the Smoke has cleared and the memories are all that is left of the best Re-enactment weekend seen so far in Duncannon, I no longer say Duncannon Fort as the event is now to big to be contained within the walls of The Fort.

The Organisers and Participants excelled themselves this year in what was an adrenalin pumping battle, and as I was truly in the middle of it I can say that without exaggeration. The pyrotechnics were outstanding and both Allies and Axis were, as always, exceptional to watch. While rain hampered the spectators enjoyment of the event somewhat it did not deter the troops.

Having worked with both Allies and Axis groups, North and South of the Boarder over the last 3 years at different events I am surprised at how they still manage to make each battle Bigger and Better.

Keep up the good work and it really was a pleasure seeing you all again.
Duchess
JB--06

Re: Duncannon - June Bank Holiday Weekend

Post by JB--06 »

Hi good to see you on here! Long time no See.

Regards Jb
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Hi Duchess.Want to thank the lads in BGS for their hospitality.Great bunch of guys,and not forgetting you either Duchess.As usual a super event with groups from both North and South of the border coming together and enjoying the hobby.We had Frontline(Die Gruppe),SGN and WLHA from the North.Great bunch of guys,and not forgetting the lads from the mainland and Jock and his guys too.Too many to mention but rest assured we ALL had a great time.The battle on the Sunday was first class.Alot of firepower along with the vehicles sure made it one to remember,as did the tropical storm in the second half of battle lol.Look forward to the film when our Kriegsberichter finishes editing the footage.Here's a few pics.
Attachments
Frontline-Die Gruppe
Frontline-Die Gruppe
diegruppefront.jpg (122.8 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
convoy
convoy
bgs1.jpg (98.76 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
Frontline-Die Gruppe
Frontline-Die Gruppe
i346188825_33834_6.jpg (46.32 KiB) Viewed 4935 times
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Jaeger , thanks for your kind words .I am delighted to see that Duncannon was such a success yet again .Many thanks for the effort you guys put in .The German turn out was super .I see from the photos that you posted that your CO Lorcher is trying to remove the door of my Kubel for his own restoration project , ha ha , only joking .I hope we get to meet up again soon and it is good to see that all three main German WW2 Groups are working together on this island.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
TacAide

Post by TacAide »

SchnellMeyer wrote:...I am delighted to see that Duncannon was such a success yet again...
And in so many, many ways. The excellent 'cut and style' of the Legionnaires and their encampment, complete with a very well informed young Legionnaire who took time to explain the details of his 'gear' to the public, was impressive. I made the mistake of mixing up Teutonic knights and Knights Templar, resolved after I met an actual latter-day Templar in the encampment. Had a long conversation with him into the early hours.

Laurence's WW1 re-enactment also drew the crowds and Darren and his crew again did themselves proud. In a surreal moment I watched as their 'on-site' leatherworker plied his trade repairing and stitching BGS Waffen-SS belts and Y-straps on his bench.

As for the battle in the dunes - tropical downpour, pyros exploding, and 20cm banging away - and that was only the German side - must have cost a fortune to set that up.

The hired catering guys were excellent and their carousel 'barbie' laden with steak, burgers, chops and bratwurst accompanied by a great choice of salads helped make the event.

As for the nightly parade outside The Strand pub, amazing - warriors from the medieval to the modern all exercising the right arm - drinking I mean!

it is good to see that all three main German WW2 Groups are working together on this island.
And long may that last....!
Rosselsprung

Post by Rosselsprung »

Had the good fortune to be at Duncannon 08.. best battle yet! Very well choreographed set of events, from the ambush on the kubel, the motorised deployment of the flak gun and the mortar crews, the mortar shoots and infantry assault,all came together to give the hastily
departing allies a sample of blitzkrieg they wont forget in a hurry! Good to see that when the rain came down the battle carried on, very atmospheric with the gunfire,smoke,ex
plosions and german orders making for a great (and victorious)spectacle.
Fair play lads, you delivered the goods!It confirmed a few truths and shattered a few myths as to who at the end of the day walks the walk and talks the talk. Looking forward to future
BGS and friends productions wherever and whenever they occur.
oNwards and upwards!
Rosselsprung.
Rosselsprung

Return to “European reenactment and events”