Battle group south Normandy trip

European discussion. Post events here too.
Matelot

Re: Battle group south Normandy trip

Post by Matelot »

Guys, i have been informed by the owner of the Dead man's Corner Museum, Michel de Trez, that the wearing of uniforms in this area has been banned by local Marie's/Mayors. These guys pull a fair amount of political weight and wil see to it that this (daft) law is enforced.

To this, i ask that AL who are travelling to Normandy with AXIS uniforms be aware of this ruling. I must also request that any participants in the event at DMC, please wear FJ uniform ONLY. And, also that no AXIS uniform of any type/sort be worn when travelling to and from the display area. Anyone arriving in uniform will be refused entry. Until they are in civillian attire.

This way we guarentee the local press do not see anything that they can use against us."Weekend Nazis" anyone..!? We all know how wrongly we were portrayed in this, the French will do the same.

I must stress that the event at DEAD MAN'S CORNER is still ON for those with the official invites.

Please get in touch if you have any questions

Thanks
Manny
Many
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

I hope to get along to DMC on Friday of next week (5th) - civilian clothes only !
Manny , what you have posted up reagarding the wearing of uniforms does echo what has come up on other forums.
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... ans+corner
Paulmjfr2 made this reasonable comment.
Back to the original question, yes German uniforms are allowed in france, a freind of mine is organising the fallschirmjager event at 'dead mans corner' near carentan, and he has a large amount of reenactors attending. German uniforms are ok in designated area's for the display, but you are not allowed to wear them when you go into the local town for a beer or buying some food. its just a case of being able to use some common sense.

This reply came from a french member, providing some clarity on the background to local goverment attitudes.
Pavkhov
hi to all,

after some "troubles" last year with a group of french reenactors doing SS (in private grounds only, but their mind was too "SS"and their website too !) at "crisbecq battery", german groups are not allowed everywhere this year.

some events are even cancelled (like st martin de Varaville), some events completely banned german troops, some not ...
in the general rule, display of german uniforms of WW2 are banned outside reenacting areas , SS uniforms or similars are banned everywhere except for films for example.

sincerely from France
S E. Pavkhov (soviet, ROA and french resistance reenactor)
As a visitor who enjoyed Deadmans Corner last year I was disappointed that at first it seemed to be "gone" - I was delighted to learn that DMC would again be staged.

Manny's advice is sound
My own understanding has been that German uniforms outside of very specific sites will be clamped down on and potentially this will be policed very strictly , German uniforms in a public place with or without insignia will only make huge problems.
Irregardless about how you feel about it is France and the French say what goes and to do otherwise will only court disaster , attracting adverse and sterotypical publicity.
dagda

Post by dagda »

And the point being?
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

dagda
And the point being?
And your point is ?

Mine is that this is not unexpected news and as one who enjoyed being at Deadmans Corner last year I am grateful that Manny T. has confirmed the need for a responsible attitude all round.
dagda

Post by dagda »

I just find find your post slightly condescending, thats all! I am well aware of the situation as is my fellow members of FJR6 kompanie 9.There has been a great deal of misinformation floating around and I can do without someone else deciding to add their tuppence worth without a full appreciation of the situation.Indeed its why I personnally dont get inolved anymore with anything outside of my personal interest (FJ) on any issue on Panzer gren anymore.
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

dagda
I just find find your post slightly condescending
It was never meant to be , the misinformation relating to the event I was unaware of and was not privy to.

As one who visited and enjoyed an afternoon there last year I certainly hoped that it would be repeated in 2008.
A Belgian friend told me that he had read in the european press that there might be serious problems with events in Normandy in 2008 - centreing round German uniform , naturally to me this was a disappointment having been at DMC in 2007.
As a result I asked on WA and from input there had a reasonable idea what would be allowed and what would not be allowed.
From my point of view - no misinformation that I am aware of , as far as being condescending goes - not my intention.
Last edited by Tychsen on Sat May 31, 2008 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Good Sirs Can this stay on topic
Tychsen Take a look here this site has the Laws and rules of many countrys here in good old Europe http://www.ww2reenactment.info .If that is not enough then ask the likes of dagda or SchnellMeyer who have been over many times before .
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

http://www.ww2reenactment.info/
As always, when you're in a foreign country for a reenactment, listen to the natives and follow their advice. Do not draw unnecessary attention to yourself and follow common sense.
Franz , only a fool would ignore the first line , the second line sums up what I have advocating and this cannot be divorced from the first.
(See Manny's advice from the owner).
JB--06

Post by JB--06 »

I have said all this before James people sent me threating PMs and tryed to blame me for scare-mongering, the best thing to do is just forget about trying to give peolpe advice on France .
I know you mean well as did I,

Regards Jb
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

JB my views on the subject are twinned with those of Manny and having no knowledge of previous dialogues or disputes cannot comment on them .
Bottomline is on this whole issue form my point of view this particular member enjoyed DMC last year , welcomes the chance to return this year and would look forward to it being run again next year , it is really as simple and as uncomplicated as that .
This is really my last "2d" on the subject apart from to wish the lads who organised it and who will take part in it every success and trust that their time there in the coming week will be both enjoyable and positive - I look forward to being there on Friday.
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Franz , thanks for your sound advice .Yes , I have been there many times and will continue to do so .
Gentlemen , lets not get too carried away .The bottom line is that common sence applies here when it comes to reenacting and wearing uniforms in a foreign country .
Tychsen if you are at DMC on Friday please make yourself known to us as I would like to meet you in person .
To all going over to France for D-DAY , enjoy yourself , respect French law and please god we will meet up along the way , safe driving guys.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Absolutely , anyone going drive safely and watch at junctions - if you are going to make an error it will most likely be at that point.
Last edited by Tychsen on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muller

Post by Muller »

hot news from the front, lots of people getting greif from the french police about uniforms and insignia, also much stuff being conferscated such as woodern hand grenades and similar weaponry.

One trader i know was turned back becouse he had swazzys on kit he was trying to sell,

so, if you want a trouble free trip, loose all the weapons, all the insginia and make sure your verhicles have no insignia on.

we sail tomrrow, hopefully

Good luck,
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Blackshamrock.

Post by Blackshamrock. »

You know as well as I do, that that is none of the lads from B.G.S. And if it was they would not be dressed like that.
I would ask you to get your facts right before posting such Horse s*** .

I'm starting to get fed up of so called "groups" and certain individuals attacking B.G.S. openly for no resion other than utter spite and jealousy.

I'm openingly drawing the line in the sand now, and I dare any one to cross it, because the accusations that have been made border on slander. I'm really feed up of this s*** now. I am also telling you now to step up and admit to what you have said, or shout up and stop causing s*** and spreading slanderous rumors about things like people from B.G.S. being arrested when it is clearly untrue. You have now been warned and can say what you want at your own risk. And remember, the world is a small place, and you never know who is listening to what you are saying, or who is going to hear about what you have said. To those who insist on continuing with slanderous accusations against B.G.S. as of now, you have been warmed that your actions will have consequences. To close, step up or shut up.

To the admins and mods, I'm sorry but I've had enough, and I would ask you to moderate any comments that contain obvious hearsay and slander against B.G.S.
A Soldier has to Family's, the one he raises and the one he raises hell with.

Return to “European reenactment and events”