Salute 2010 Thank you

European discussion. Post events here too.
berlin1945

Salute 2010 Thank you

Post by berlin1945 »

Salute show 2010, I would like to pass comment having attended it this year, the weather was beautiful and the displays and the groups attending were excellent and also the variety of the stalls and the great bargains available were great value. Hopefully next year the Salute show will grow and become even bigger and attract interest from other parts of Europe, I thoroughly enjoyed the show and picked up some terrific bargains for doing my displays in the next calender year of events 2011, I would however like to take the opportunity to thank the organisers and other participants for their hospitality and for the invitation to attend, my thanks to Mr Flynn, Sean Curtiss, Jennifer, Mr Thermes and all the others that helped to run this show as praise should be given where it is deserved.

Thank You
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
SchnellMeyer

Re: Salute 2010 Thank you

Post by SchnellMeyer »

I too was there as a "civilian" as I had some friends over from Germany . Nice collection of post war vehicles including a very nice ex-British army Chieftain Mk10 ( I think it was a Mark 10 ) which performed well when put through the pace . . Good to see shows continuing to grow in Ireland . As a German WW2 reenactor I was dissapointed to see none there on Saturday , I did see two German reenactors in WW1 uniform that looked pretty ok . The weather was good which is always a plus with these shows .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

The German WW1 re en-actors looked awesome their display was great and they had taken a lot of time to give an informative and well constructed scenario for the public to view and to interact with them, Laurence and his lads looked the part, the vehicles were impressive as well and like you mentioned Justin the chieftain tank was awesome to view, would not like to face that in real life, I wonder how it would compete against a king tiger in battle ( are there any comparisons on how if pitted against each other who they would fair).

WW2 Germans on Saturday were a bit sparse on the ground but on Sunday, I counted 10 in total and of these 3 where fully kitted out in DAK uniforms which did surprise me also there was 1 fj, 2 panzer guys and the rest in comprising of SS or Heer, there were to my surprise a lot of Americans and British who had excellent displays and to whom I spend a long time chatting with and viewing their displays and equipment all in all I would have to say it was a very good show quite relaxed and friendly and an excellent opportunity to make new friends and contacts and catch up on old ones.

I purchased two uniforms at a terrific price more or less got one free ( ICA/ IV and national army uniforms) and was very pleased at the bargains there and to be had.

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

King Tiger vs Chieftain , no contest the gunlaying and sighting equipment of the postwar tank would outclass the KT , as would the 120mm gun which would shatter the KT armour like an egg.
Faster , better armoured , more manoeuvrable , better cross country preformance , lower profile , better slopped armour designed to destroy in coming rounds , better , firing a a more potent breed of shell - the KT would be at an absolute disadvantage.
Had the Centurion come into play before the end of WW2 the Panther and Tiger would have more than had their hands full.
Last edited by Tychsen on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Tychsen wrote:King Tiger vs Chieftain , no contest the gunlaying and sighting equipment of the postwar tank would outclass the KT , as would the 120mm gun which would shatter the KT armour like an egg.
Faster , better armoured , more manoeuvrable , cross country better , lower profile , slopped armour , better armour , firing a a more potent breed of shell the KT would be at an absolute disadvantage.
Had the Centurion come into play before the end of WW2 the panther and Tiger would have had their hands full with it.
I suppose so gauging on how the WW2 German armour used by the syrians did when facing the Israeli tanks on the golan heights.

Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

MkIV's dug in hull down.
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Tychsen wrote:MkIV's dug in hull down.
Would you have any photos from your archives would love to view as searched web couldn't find but do have them in some books I have, You missed a good show in the Curragh and in Salute this year you would have enjoyed the friendly relaxed atmosphere.

SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

berlin1945 , I am a little puzzeled .You called me by my first name yet I only post under my user name and you are new on here, also you have never made yourself known to me .Now would you be so kind in telling me your name ?
Just for the record the Panzer 1V and Stug111 performed very well against the Israeli in 1967, they held the Golan until June 9, 1967 when they were finally over run by Israeli paratroopers .
Surviving examples of both the Panzer 1V and Stug111 that fought in the Syrian Army are on display today in the Latrun Armour Museum .
See issue Nr.65 of" Wheels & Tracks " for more information on this subject.

re-enactment group
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

SchnellMeyer wrote:berlin1945 , I am a little puzzeled .You called me by my first name yet I only post under my user name and you are new on here, also you have never made yourself known to me .Now would you be so kind in telling me your name ?
Just for the record the Panzer 1V and Stug111 performed very well against the Israeli in 1967, they held the Golan until June 9, 1967 when they were finally over run by Israeli paratroopers .
Surviving examples of both the Panzer 1V and Stug111 that fought in the Syrian Army are on display today in the Latrun Armour Museum .
See issue Nr.65 of" Wheels & Tracks " for more information on this subject.
For your info .

search.php?keywords=justin&terms=all&au ... mit=Search.

SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Only friends call me by my first name and as we dont know know each other you are not one of them , now please be so good and tell me who you are ?????????

re-enactment group
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

SchnellMeyer wrote:Only friends call me by my first name and as we dont know know each other you are not one of them , now please be so good and tell me who you are ?????????
this thread is about salute and my name is berlin1945.

Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Although I would not claim to know much about the 6 day war - "Super Shermans" on the IDF side , up gunned but still potentially vulnerable in terms of protection ?
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Tychsen wrote:Although I would not claim to know much about the 6 day war - "Super Shermans" on the IDF side , up gunned but still potentially vulnerable in terms of protection ?
I had the pleasure of visiting Israel earlier this year and saw the golan heights from a distance as it is a militarised zone and in the valley below I believe that there are the remains of tanks from this battle still lying their wrecked also visited the tank museum and saw the German WW2 tanks having been invited there by a a friend that lives in Tel Viva Yafo and learnt some Hebrew whilst there, it was so interesting to see the equipment that they had there. However back to the Salute thread as we are digressing from it

here is some information regarding the show

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=2635 ... _episodes=

Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

This is quite an interesting thread, I know next to Jack Sh1t about the German armour used in the middle east and am interested to learn something. I would hope that it does not descend in some kind of apparently paranoid spat about who is calling who what!
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

berlin45 , you still have yet again avoided answering my question . I know your user name but what is your real name , I am sure it is not joe rafferty !
Sturmschar , I have loads of material on German armour being used in the Middle East . The Syrian Army used loads of this stuff , not just Panzers and Stugs . These were still in use in the 1970's and possibly still survive today . Very little is known about what still survives in Syria today , most of the surviving examples were captured by the Israeli Army .
Last edited by SchnellMeyer on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

re-enactment group

Return to “European reenactment and events”