The 3rd Winter battle at Vojsko

European discussion. Post events here too.
bov1313rf

The 3rd Winter battle at Vojsko

Post by bov1313rf »

We are happy as we had successfully finished our 3rd winter battle at Vojsko. This year we should call it ‘’Ost Front’’. 1 meter of fresh snow, heavy snowfall, fog. But all these gave especial charm to fighting. You can’t see much, but you can hear rifle, MPs and MG’s fire and shouting. And suddenly there are strange white figures running through deep snow after you.

There were 60 of us (unfortunately 50 further applications we had to turn down because of organization limitations); we were 40 ‘’locals’’, 12 members from Feldgrau from Rome (nice guys indeed, especially the 50 liter of excellent wine oscha Max had brought with), and 8 members of so called ‘’Augustin group’’ from Trieste.

We had quite an issue with troops movement, especially with Flak 20mm, which was almost impossible to move around. In fact we should paint flak in white; we had a canister of white paint with us, but as we didn’t believe we’ll be able to use it, flak remained unpainted until it was to late. As well sturm in deep snow is a challenge; you’re hardly moving (you can’t run at all), your weapon is stuffed with snow. I’ve realized why Russian submachine gun Spagin was much more praised then German MP40. Whenever I was lying in the snow, my cocked MP40 get stuffed with snow and I needed 2-3 min to clean it to be able to fire again. MG42s were less ‘’disturbed’’ by snow. K98 performed well enough. A great experience how weapons perform in heavy snow conditions.

As battle intended to be a German winter offensive (February 45) against partisans, this time turned to a kind of ‘’Ost front’’ event. In heavy snowfall, with 1 m of fresh snow German troops were almost unable to chase partisans around, we had mostly positional fighting with some sturm attacks. And we had two sudden enemy’s attacks without previous ‘’agreements’’. It was interesting to see how people react on sudden fire or when a land mine explode 5 m in front of them. But we all have a lot of fun.

I should thank all participants, especially to Feldgrau (they were so delighted with the event that they already applied on ALL our future events), a nice & well trained unit with high spirit and tremendous humor and ‘’kameradshaft’’. We are looking forward to fight with them again.

Some pictures, not the best ones, but to have just a feeling…
Attachments
vojsko2010 02.jpg
vojsko2010 02.jpg (148.5 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
vojsko2010 03.jpg
vojsko2010 03.jpg (132.09 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
vojsko2010 06.jpg
vojsko2010 06.jpg (217.35 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
bov1313rf

Re: The 3rd Winter battle at Vojsko

Post by bov1313rf »

Three more pics..
Attachments
vojsko2010 01.jpg
vojsko2010 01.jpg (123.03 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
vojsko2010 05.jpg
vojsko2010 05.jpg (155.72 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
vojsko2010 04.jpg
vojsko2010 04.jpg (152.29 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
andy85th

Post by andy85th »

Great photos, it must have been spooky with that fog and the surprise attacks.
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

bov1313rf wrote:We had quite an issue with troops movement, especially with Flak 20mm, which was almost impossible to move around.

As well sturm in deep snow is a challenge; you’re hardly moving (you can’t run at all), your weapon is stuffed with snow. I’ve realized why Russian submachine gun Spagin was much more praised then German MP40. Whenever I was lying in the snow, my cocked MP40 get stuffed with snow and I needed 2-3 min to clean it to be able to fire again. MG42s were less ‘’disturbed’’ by snow. K98 performed well enough. A great experience how weapons perform in heavy snow conditions.

Some pictures, not the best ones, but to have just a feeling…

thats what reenactment battles are about ..finding out how they put up with the weather and failures of kit

nice one fellas
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.

Return to “European reenactment and events”