SwynnertonII The Gossip

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Hoffman Grink

SwynnertonII The Gossip

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I was going to post this on the Swynnerton thread. The I though - "Why muss an information thread up?" So I made a new thread..... So here is your chance to sit and whinge, complain and plain bullshit about this forthcoming gig... Sometimes I wish I didn't hear the things I do... and this is not addressed JUST to German re-enactors who use this forum.... It's a general opinion publicly voiced to ALL planning to go...
You know - last night I sat and read all 11 pages of this (The Swynnerton thread).... Boy - Did I start to lose the will to live..... :roll:
However it makes interesting reading even though it meanders about a bit.... I know there are those out there who will say - "Get a life" or similar.... But this thread is showing that there are a lot of people who talk the talk and not so many who walk the walk. With a bit of luck, this event will change that.... I'm starting to think however that maybe it could expose further the deep rivalry and rifts that run through UK re-enactment.
There's two ways to look at me for instance - Self Important Fanatic or Sincere and Committed Fella. But however you perceive me, I continue to put forwards the ideas that work for me and our group.... I continue to share and hopefully by doing so, help a great many people to get more out of what they do.
Peter and Spencer are working their arses off to get this gig off the ground. They hope to be able to extend it all to more groups in time. But already rumour and shitstirring seems to be undermining some fo their efforts.
If you are a member of a group who plans to attend -Ask yourself this...

Why are you coming? Is it any of the following?

Because we need to maintain our profile
Because we are the dog's danglies and this event would be nowt without us
For a blat
To watch the saddos "camping out"

If you are a member of a group planning to attend
What do you want to get out of it?
Are you going to stick to the rules (Nasty nasty things - No one in re-enactment ought to have to stick to them... In fact there should be no rules.... I live my entire life without rules - WHY should I have to re-enact to rules???)
Are you going to come with an open mind and accept new ways and challenges?
Are you going to hinder the event or help it?

I'm not just posting this to German Groups - I know Allied groups read it too..... My large self important ears hear a lot of things. Many not worth bothering with..... Some quite disturbing...... I am excited about this event. I want to come to it with my mates, meet a load more mates, shoot at a few other mates and be part of something that is another step on in our hobby...... What do YOU want to do?
Whatever you want to do - Don't set out to balls up a topping weekend..... and remember - I'm just attending the same as everyone else.... I'm not an organiser or a headshed.... so don't shoot the messenger!
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

Why are you coming? Is it any of the following?

Because we need to maintain our profile
Because we are the dog's danglies and this event would be nowt without us
For a blat
To watch the saddos "camping out"
I think there is a certain amount of all of the above in most individual and group reasons for attending.

We all need to be ‘out’ there walking the walk and talking the talk and this is just a part of that.

We all like to think ‘we’ are the best, look at some of the units mottos, nothing wrong in that. We all like to think we do ‘it’ well and we do it properly.

Well I for one will certainly not hold back when the enemy are in range, blat? No, firefight and a good skirmish yes.

We ‘TFH’ will camp under the stars with a smile on our faces and a song in our hearts. We contrary to popular propaganda can be ‘real’ men now and then.

We will be out in our holes with a blanket listening to the sound of teeth chattering.
Are we coming to help or hinder?
Help the Allies achieve the objectives yes, hinder the Axis in their goals yes.

Help the event go well? Yes without a doubt, hinder the weekend, positively No!

Andrew W
TFH
Last edited by LAH650 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Skillman

Swyners

Post by Pete Skillman »

Phew, for a moment there I thought I was going to get a right slating!,
I realise that all groups are different and will come to this event wanting different things from it, some have said in the past events that sitting all weekend and not shooting 1 round but just the knowledge that there are "enemies" out there was enough and they had a great event,some will tell me that this is the event for them but really its not they just want to blat with non crappy wearing kit?, but if I can show those groups that if we work together and be generous in defeat/succes, ie 50/50 shot= dont be silly and call it,Head shots=dont go there!,Moving targets=pointless, how many times have we seen a quicky thrown up weapon and 1 shot rings out and "Oh you,Take you hat off", pointless and makes people anti the event, Pull the trigger, make the bloke look around and see you, if hes is any good he will realise he has just made a mistake and will behave more carefully next time.
I dont know what to say, just come with the right attitude, follow the sceanrio its there to stop pointless wanderings and to supply the reenactors with a staged event, it works,(with good will) give it a try?. cheers Pete
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

its all a learning curve.

pete and spence through their perciverance are gradually working private training events into what they should be .
this can only be acheived by the professionalism of the reenactors .

also by the strict discipline of the unit commanders .

education is what it is all about .

i have been privvy to some information regarding why some people walk out,
they comment on the battle turning into a blatt.....well what i have to say to them is this

do something about it .dont walk out,dont complain after, but get to the thick of it and sort it .if it is sorted in the field then we can then cary on with the learning.
make your views known early and im sure things will change.
teach the new boys how to react .
if they are shot ,and you know they are ,and you have new objectives then move on to the new objectives .
it does not matter what so ever if the chap who you have shot is doing after as you have achieved your objective.
we need to move away from the ideals of "staying in the game"
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
carentan

Post by carentan »

For me it's those moments when we immerse into the 40s, doesn't always happen but good when it does. The planning and discussions we have before the event. Being with kamerads and feeling the unit spirit. If I achieve that then I'd happily walk round with a deact.
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
Edelweise

Post by Edelweise »

carentan wrote:For me it's those moments when we immerse into the 40s, doesn't always happen but good when it does. The planning and discussions we have before the event. Being with kamerads and feeling the unit spirit. If I achieve that then I'd happily walk round with a deact.
Well after reading this thread they is'nt much more i can add, but i shall have ago.

I've only been in reenactment a couple of years and for me the private battle's are the main thing, it's were i get my buzz ,yeah dont get me wrong the shows are great but i'm a private battle man through and through, What do i get out of it you may ask? Well it's been in the field with my kameraden, it really does put you back to the 40's if done properly. i dont go for the blat and i certainly dont go to hear groups falling out but i do go to try and get the feel of how these guys must of felt liveing in very dangerous times. As an AFRA member i and my kameraden are so looking forward to this gig that certain members have gone all out to make this event special i wont give names but 1 chap has made up and supplied all our members with authentic rations and packaging complete with a ration bag, another supplying his kubal, we can go on as many groups will also be doing the same as us to make this EVENT GREAT. So for the people who think this is going to be a stroll in the park,or are going to sit back and let the others do the work do us all a favour and stay at home. :lol: ROLE ON SWYNERTON

Return to “UK reenactment and events”