Is the hobby?

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Jon Das Reich

Is the hobby?

Post by Jon Das Reich »

Is the hobby going through a transitional period?

The reason im asking this is that over the past 12-24 months ive noticed a change in our hobby.

1. Is ww2 reenactment going down the similar road as other periods where its a spring to autumn hobby.
over the past couple of years i have seen many site for private battles disappear, wher when i 1st started reenacting we had more private events than we had public shows and more reenactors profered the battles, but today more reenactors are liking the shows and shows are out numbering the battles.

2. Standard of kit has improved but thats a good thing, where swedish tunics have been ditched altogether or relagated to the private battle pile.
Displays are getting more impressive, i guess due to the internet where more stock can be sourced.

3. Is the hobby being elitist due to the rising costs of the hobby, but then with the amurgence of the hong kong gear has that allowed more people to reenact?

4. Is reenacting being more like running a small business?
We have to get pli, websites, marketing, research, banking etc.
I must admit i dont know anyother hobby like this one. once per week i go to a war games club we pay our £2.50 play and game have a pint and go home, no bitching about other groups, no worrying about pli, no wondering where our next show comes from.

personally i love the hobby but there are time when i could easily say **** it i dont need all this shite, but at the end of the day its a hobby i enjoy and whwre else can you sit in a field with a gun ( without being shot back at :lol: )
352nd

Post by 352nd »

sorry had to edit this post
Last edited by 352nd on Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stabsgefreiter Martin Hetch-2nd Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung, Grossdeutschland.

Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

1.there has deffinatly been a decrease of private battles over the last few years, which for those that enjoy the shows more is no bad thing, but for those that do like battling there are still a couple of very well organised private battles run each year, and i think alot of serious reenactors don't mind doing fewer but more high quality battles instead of several blat fests.

2. displays are certainly getting better, whether its big displays by the likes of SBG or AFRA etc at shows like Detling or Beltring, or smaller groups doing fantastic little displays which really capture what there trying to portray which is not only good for the public, but lets face it, we love looking at them aswell :D

3.i don't think the hobby is being elitist, lets face it if you really want to do the hobby you will quite often be able to afford it eventually, and besides most groups are usually very helpful in providing kit while new members get theres altogether. There alwasy seems to be a steady number of news guys and girls joining the hobby.

4. Don't know about that one, would guess it probaly is, but thankfully being in a larger organisation alot of the money worries like PLI are taken care of already :P :P

This hobby does seem to be one of a kind, i expect alot of reenactors have had to put up with aload of crap at some point, yet we still do it :shock: :P
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Holmesfield is THE worst example of a private battle EVER.
I used that site with the original leasees many years ago. It is a cowboy site with no insurance, no police notification, no security, public access and unregulated firearms and pyro. it should be closed down. Take up the offer to go to Swynnerton that Muller and Les have made - even if you don't "battle" on the first one - You will have a proper mindblowing experience..... You've seen vehicles at shows and stuff... You've never seen them operating for real in a tactical environment.....

Jon Yup it is changing radically. This last five years has seen it really develop. we have made great advances and we have had to adapt to remain in front To use some business speak, we have faced many challenges and we have more to come but with the people who are really at the front of the hobby, we will meet them and adapt well.....

I really love what we do and I will continue putting in my 2 pfennigs to maintain it.
352nd

Post by 352nd »

edited
Last edited by 352nd on Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

352nd

Post by 352nd »

edited
Last edited by 352nd on Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Yes it is changing, and for the better, I get more enjoyment out of the hobby now then I ever did. We also attend events 10 months of the year, and the quality gets better and better. I've been doing this hobby for 18 years (and yes I do still have my LMPS card!) and wouldn't change it for the world, I have a fantastic collection of stuff enjoy, contacts all around the world with the same interests, and a bunch of mates in the group who I couldn't ask any better of, plus one ex wife (hell something had to give!! :lol: ). Its one of those things, you can loose your wife, your house and your job but reenactments allways there with the same happy ugly mugs!!!!

Paul M
352nd

Post by 352nd »

where is this private battle and when is it? It sounds like it's in Wales, which is hard for me to get to atm.

paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

No your not the only old fart..........but I'm not as ugly!
352nd

Post by 352nd »

I'd also like to appologies for any offence caused by my posts which i had to remove. I relise that i have caused offence to members of the LMPS, and i deeply regreat that. I got facts wrong about their manpower and i know that they've experanced a tough time resently and are now trying to get back onto their feet.

Ben

Post by Ben »

BaggyPants wrote:They've got 6 now ?!! I remember a windy day at Muckleborough (had beans the night before) many years ago and they had 5. They made us associate members for the event to get more people there. Still have my LMPS ID card somewhere Very Happy
Dear Sir,

I am a member of the LMPS. I will start off by saying that unlike stated previously by 352nd, the LMPS does not have only 6 members. Since obtaining insurance last July, the society has grown in manpower now to over 40 members. I would also state that we now have a website (which is currently under construction), and you may feel free to browse the site and leave any feedback or commnets that you may have.
Fwbl Dollman wrote:Holmesfield is THE worst example of a private battle EVER.
I used that site with the original leasees many years ago. It is a cowboy site with no insurance, no police notification, no security, public access and unregulated firearms and pyro. it should be closed down. Take up the offer to go to Swynnerton that Muller and Les have made - even if you don't "battle" on the first one - You will have a proper mindblowing experience..... You've seen vehicles at shows and stuff... You've never seen them operating for real in a tactical environment.....
I would hastently add that this event is not organised by the LMPS, and as above as stated we do have insurance cover for members.

As members of the WWII re-enactment communtiy, please try and verify your facts, as apposed to listening to one persons opinions (which is all they are at the end of the day)

Many thanks

Ben Major
-LMPS Webmaster-
- http://www.lincsmps.co.uk -
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Dear Ben
Allow me to respond. The LMPS is an old and once venerable society. responsible for the evolution of this hobby. It has been on the go since the 70s and has been many different shades of colour an quality since then.
Like all long lived institutions, LMPS has a chequered history. Some aspects of it are shining beacons in re-enactment others less so. In recent years, LMPS fell into a state of "uncared for dilapidation" shall we say and it is very commendable and brave of you and others to resurrect it and bring it into the 21st Century. You do however still have issues to resolve, shadows to sweep away and apples to check. I wish you well.

So I hope that deals with LMPS. Now - in my previous post - Nowhere do I mention the LMPS. I meantion the Holmesfield "Battlesite" - A windy, bleak copse on a hillside just outside Sheffield which I was using before I suspect you had hairs around your todger! :lol: This site is no approved. The battles were always held without prior police notification. There was no insurance in effect and unless someone provides evidence to the contrary I stand by my statement. The wood was used for a variety of "events" and I have seen things up there which I assure you would not only make your toes curl, but would get us all closed down as well as some of us a decent spell inside. It has attracted Police attention in the past due to the conduct of some participants especially when hikers were passing through..... You probably haven't been around that long Ben so I'm not having a go - just relating things that I can substantiate but not on a public area such as this. Likewise I don't want to get into a flame war..... No - I didn't make any mention of LMPS..... Good luck to you. Take it onboard and get it up and running again. For many years Barry did a brilliant Job as did Trev and the rest of the "old contemptibles..."

352 is only one person but then again so are you - and me..... but some people's words carry far more weight than others..... and deeds speak louder than words..... There are those around in re-enactment whose deeds have got them recognised. Not always in a positive light. If you wish to go into this further - PM me - I don't want to take up the whole forum with this...... but I'll tell you up front - I can't really be bothered putting my nose into someone else's business - although people frequently see fit to push theirs into mine (Not too far mind as they know what might happen!)

I hope you're happy with this answer.

Edit: I'd like the URL to your website please so I can see for myself the changes being made...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Fwbl Dollman

I am not disputing that certain members of the LMPS have “shady pasts” shall we say. I was just putting some of the negative facts straight that have been posted here at a time when a new body of members are striving to bring around and restore the society from its "uncared for dilapidation".

As regards to your final comment:
Fwbl Dollman wrote: (Not too far mind as they know what might happen!)
Could you clarify the meaning behind this. Anyway… our gang is bigger than yours :lol: lol

Return to “UK reenactment and events”