Chalke Valley 2014

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
hanser

Chalke Valley 2014

Post by hanser »

Dates have been confirmed as 28/29th June 2014.

At this point the organisers have asked for costs for putting on a special D-Day event.

I need help....for the contact details and possibilities of the following:

A full size Horsa Glider

German 88

full size spitfire replica ( anyone know the guy who has the one that has the prop motorised?)

Open to suggestions on D-Day related ideas, The plan is to create bits of D-day to D-Day +23

I will possibly be building props on site so I will require attending re-enactors the week prior to the 28th June to help with various projects.

I might add that nothing is confirmed except for the dates but I have to put ideas and costs in for approval.

Please Pm me asap the meeting is on the 1st August and has just been sprung on me.
Thanks

Dave
nelz

Re: Chalke Valley 2014

Post by nelz »

I'll contact the geezer who I know who has spit and hurricane replicas with working props etc.

I'm sure if he's free on the dates you have given , he will do it.

The Yorkshire Wartime Experience http://www.ywe-event.info/
yorkshirewartimeexperience@live.com
elitemilitaria@live.co.uk
Mobile : 07413-707121
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

ok dave im gonna book a wek off for this one will book it tommorow

i will contact mark pitt from our group to see if he can get involved as he is chairman of the airborne forces museum now at duxford ................he will know about horsas and any other thing involved with em
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
hanser

Post by hanser »

Les/Nelz

Thank you so much, if this all comes together we could be talking about this for years to come. You both have my number if you need to pass it on please feel free to do so.

Dave
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

Dave you have only two options on the Horsa front, nick the replica one at Pegasus Bridge or build one, either way they are huge, I was stunned by its size when I saw the Pegasus one in June the Hamilcar is even larger and both apparently have the aerodynamic properties of a bunch of keys!

Andy
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
hanser

Post by hanser »

Sturmschar wrote:Dave you have only two options on the Horsa front, nick the replica one at Pegasus Bridge or build one, either way they are huge, I was stunned by its size when I saw the Pegasus one in June the Hamilcar is even larger and both apparently have the aerodynamic properties of a bunch of keys!

Andy
Andy your advice is as much use as a chocolate fireguard but made me laugh all the same :D I am led to believe there is one or two available and I`m looking into it. Lovely to see you at W&P I hope you`ve got all the dust removed by now.

Dave
hanser

Post by hanser »

Next years event is slowly looking very good I will be looking for the following to attend to enhance the event and the `new D-Day attractions:

Another British Infantry group.

American Airborne

British Airborne

Fallschirmjager

Allied armour

Possibly a German Heer group.

We will be building various props on site and are looking for skilled re-enactors who can arrive early to assist on the projects, you will not be expected to do this for free.
A full detailed explaination of the projects will follow as soon as we have had a chance to work out costs and arrange sponsorship etc.
This is not a massive WW2 show so it will be invite only so please don`t be offended. This is a multi period show and WW2 are just one display of many.
As this year hopefully we will be able to pay each group for their attendance but I will confirm this at a later date.

PM me with your interest and post on the thread that you have messaged please.

Dave
hanser

Post by hanser »

Thank you for all your help so far but I`m hitting many dead ends so if anyone can help me further I would really appreciate it. There is a lull in progress at the moment until I have a meeting with the organisers in September. I`m hoping that with the help of our WW2 community we can produce the best tribute to the heroes of D-Day. They deserve our respect and we need to honour them.

Dave
hanser

Post by hanser »

I have a meeting tomorrow to sort out next years attractions, I hope to be posting some interesting news very soon. Lots of things happening but until 100% confirmed I won`t be posting them. Bear with me and I`m sure it will be worth waiting for.

Dave
hanser

Post by hanser »

Looked at new locations for the event but after consideration and another 2 flat fields being made available, it look pretty sure we will stay at the original location for next year. Awaiting budget and then I can post the requirements for next year. It looks like there maybe a lot of prop building and a 2 day air show. More to follow...

Dave
hanser

Post by hanser »

I am in the market for British Airborne group(s) for next years event. Not 100% confirmed but within these groups I would require re-enactors who have passed their jump training? There are things happening and although I`m not going into details I think you can assume for yourselves.
Please contact by PM and post on here your interest.

Dave
hanser

Post by hanser »

Just a quick update, I`m attending a meeting on Tuesday which will hopefully finalise all the attractions at the event. One of the discussions will be with the aircraft controller who will give the decision on whether aircraft can be used to enhance the planned battles. I don`t want to let the cat out of the bag yet until things are 100% confirmed but hopefully after Tuesday I can start letting you know more.

Dave
hanser

Post by hanser »

Just got back from the meeting and can finally let the cat out of the bag.
We have been asked to do the following D-Day related attractions:

Saturday...

Crashed ME109 being robbed by Luftwaffe ground crew for spare parts, a Spitfire pilot above sees the threat and does a straifing run on the 109 and the truck (Mr Hearn I will speak to you later about this) 20mm bullet strikes hitting the ground as the ground crew run for cover. Truck explodes then ME109 explodes. Endex

Stan Hollis VC.
We are going to re-enact the second bunker assault that Stan Hollis of the Green Howards took which finalised the decision to award him the only VC on D-Day.
We are building a Pillbox bunker which will have an MG42 firing. British Infantry have to take this position in order to continue inland, Men being cut down by MG fire, Smoke deployed and Stan rushes the position and using his sten and a grenade overruns the objective.

Sunday

Villers Bocage

Allied troops walk into a German ambush, They call up Armour and start to progress on the German positions, Enter the German panzers who begin to maul the Allied armour, just when the battle looks won, P51 mustang tank busts the German Panzers..
Lots of bangs etc etc.

I have been asked by the organisers to provide some attractions for school parties on the mon, tues, weds as well as obviously building bunkers etc if anyone can help that would be great, please get in contact. I am not sure of money but am hoping at this point I will be able to offer something for your time and effort.

Aircraft flyovers on both days including low level Lancaster, also Daykotas dropping parachutists on both days.

And that's just the WW2....other attractions from all the multi period groups.

Looks like it might be a good one

Dave
hanser

Post by hanser »

Sorry I`ve been a bit quiet recently, been a bit busy with the Operation Teaboy Battle in February. Latest news is everything is falling into place and It looks like we will have a WW2 presence for the whole week the event is on. Schools parties will be visiting from Monday to Friday to learn about history spanning from Vikings to WW2. When we are not educating them we will be prop building for the weekend`s battles and displays.
The Chalke Valley website should be updated at the end of the month and tickets sales will begin. There are news updates already and it looks like Joanna Lumley will be returning again and this time I will get to speak to her.....
I have heard a rumour that Damian Lewis (Major Dick Winters of Band of Brothers) is attending but that will be confirmed on the website. Someone I would also like to meet for different reasons.
Bigger and better than last year with 2 days of air displays instead of just one day last year. More re-enactment/Living History and more outstanding attractions.
Sorry I can`t fit everyone in but its multi period and WW2 is only a small part of the whole show.
If you`ve booked in with me and this is your first year, check out the website and see what you can expect.

cvhf.org.uk

I`ll keep you posted on anything new.....

Dave
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

'Die Soldaten' are very pleased to be part of this event.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”