private battles

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
grenadier Biermann

private battles

Post by grenadier Biermann »

PIP cancelled because is clashing with Longmoor and Longmoor battle cancelled due to army training No more Spanby forest for some painful reason ! Yes of course is getting better and better every year :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
Pete Skillman

Re: private battles

Post by Pete Skillman »

grenadier Biermann wrote:PIP cancelled because is clashing with Longmoor and Longmoor battle cancelled due to army training No more Spanby forest for some painful reason ! Yes of course is getting better and better every year :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Pip Pk was cancelled mainly because the public shows are now migrating into what used to be classed as Private battle part of the season...two main groups who do Yank are both off to differing public shows in October..one a railway and t'other not...and Pub shows are starting now earlier in April...so with SBG moving their event at Longmire (Mereworth?) to same weekend for what ever reason :shock: and me not getting enough Yank numbers needed to actually put on a small scale event so made sense to kill it off to release axis reenactors to go to Longmire.. ...that is why it was cancelled....plenty of Axis guys wanted it to happen...
Spanby lost through noise pollution... :? ...
Pete
Zschakel

Post by Zschakel »

Do you think Longmoor will move to the proposed date?
Kriegsberichter und Felddrucker der Wehrmacht
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

Well they can try and put on a longmire in April same weekend as Pip but I would ask them to explain why?...
Mereworth is a cracking site Ive used since 80s...plenty of scope for a fluid scenario or digging in....but I prefe to use Pip pk as it has all what ypou need in a site bridges old and modern ie Bailey...cross roads woodland and wide open grasslands for safe Pyro use...
we used to do Prvate battle every month when I started ...now 1 a year...killing the hobby.
hanser

Post by hanser »

Das Reich have secured a site in the midlands so its central for everyone, I am hoping to put up a thread soon about it. I have contacted SBG so we don`t clash dates and am hoping sometime in February. Please look out for the thread, cost should be around £25 ish depending on final prices for the site and armourers fee. Nice thing is the local pub have opened their doors to re-enactors. might be nice on a cold evening.
shultz wuffenbach

Post by shultz wuffenbach »

That sounds great Dave..........
grenadier Biermann

Post by grenadier Biermann »

hanser wrote:Das Reich have secured a site in the midlands so its central for everyone, I am hoping to put up a thread soon about it. I have contacted SBG so we don`t clash dates and am hoping sometime in February. Please look out for the thread, cost should be around £25 ish depending on final prices for the site and armourers fee. Nice thing is the local pub have opened their doors to re-enactors. might be nice on a cold evening.

PERFECT ! Sounds good to me I'm in :wink:
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

Just so that everyone is absolutely clear Longmoor has been cancelled by the contractor that runs all the MOD sites including Mereworth! SBG books the site in good faith if the Army decide that they need it there is nothing that SBG can do about it.
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
gottmituns205

Post by gottmituns205 »

Forget I asked.
Last edited by gottmituns205 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gottmituns205

Post by gottmituns205 »

jlmod

Post by jlmod »

Such a shame about the lack of private battles in the UK. The hobby has so much scope to be able to enjoy this part of it and it is very frustrating. The majority of re enactors you speak to seem to enjoy this side of it more than public shows yet the PBs are very few and far between.
Maybe its the size of venue required or numbers needed? Smaller skirmishes or proposed battles requiring less space and numbers needed may revitalise it?
What about trying to put together 3 maybe 4 during the season in the North, East, South and West and making it part of the year long season and spreading it across thd UK? You then have maybe a Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter season event?
I'm just throwing ideas around and maybe this has all been said before but it seems a much needed injection is required before it really does die away.By organising something smaller requiring fewer numbers and less of an area I am sure it would get the boost needed to kick start it all once again.
Putting together an idea of using all the various areas of the UK 3/4 times a year I'm sure would also appeal to many re enactors who live right across the country.
saddler

Post by saddler »

MOST of what I did when I got into the hobby in the late 80's was private battles.

Quite a few in the Carnforth area, then a big private Victorian hunting estate near Halifax.

They were held most months in the better weather...

One of the modern bug-bears that'll kill off such things IS noise pollution; it's already an issue on a couple of ranges I shoot at, plus I know of a speedway ground that was closed as a new resident made a noise complaint & that was the end of that...
nelz

Post by nelz »

:o
There might be a new location available in Yorkshire , Leeds / Bradford area.
I have confirmed and agreed the use of the land with the landowner.
Just in talks with the local council , constabulary , environment dept, planning... etc. to see if this can be established.
The site is perfect for Private Battle , and has excellent varied terrain.
Suitable for all military vehicles including tracked.
Excellent parking facilities, plastic camping area with water point and portaloo's.
Section 5 sorted.
Can be used , if talks with the authorities prove fruitful , all year round.
Suitable for large or small scale scenarios.

My only question at this point would be...... Would a location in Yorkshire attract any players ? :)
Last edited by nelz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Yorkshire Wartime Experience http://www.ywe-event.info/
yorkshirewartimeexperience@live.com
elitemilitaria@live.co.uk
Mobile : 07413-707121
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yes
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Works for me.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”