War and Peace show revival

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
peiper1944

Re: War and Peace show revival

Post by peiper1944 »

grenadier Biermann wrote:
ssparatrooper wrote:oooh dust a problem?

Was there no dust in WW2? i am sorry but this show like all of them is what you make of it i had a good time riding my krad around like i was in russia in 1941 and the vehicles looked fantastic going round that arena, free weapons and ammo, i have nowt to complain about

I also found some nice bits on the stalls, they sell period goggles over there maybe you should have bought a pair?

I got some mega photos and had a good time roll on next year it will only get better
You're probably one of the organizer of WaP I guess or get well paid for this :P
Don't be silly :?
Thats Kit-kat one of our own NCO's from SBG,
you supposed to support your own, thats what
kameradschaft is bud :wink:
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

Overall I enjoyed it though spending eight days in a dust bowl with no shade was a little trying, absolutely everything uniforms, field telephones, Kubel, the inside of the tent, bedding kitchen and food covered in thick dust. Glenn and Gregg selected the pitch because of its proximity to the arena and the amount of vehicles we have to field, sound thinking but not a success. That pitch would have been just as much of a nightmare had it rained as it would have turned into a quagmire, I think next year we need to get into the tree line for sanity and a little comfort.
I felt that the arena was poorly laid out from just about everybody's point of view, particularly the public, it was however the only place the dust worked, it looked amazing with the vehicles moving, like eastern Ukraine in 43!! The village should have been set at right angles to the public and deeper into the space to afford a complete view of scenario. The one way road needs to be re routed around the back of the arena between the Grandstand and the crowd line so that it does not shut every time there is an event. That led to huge traffic snarl-ups and also was the reason for so few arena events!
Facilities, this is always a difficult one at an event on this scale, the loos near our pitch were, for the most part, clean and functioning. I do know that Rex had a big problem coordinating the toilet issue having four separate contractors, Plumbing, Gas, Waste and Cleaning. None of them seemed to grasp the fact that things were happening before Wednesday, despite the fact that traders were there from the previous week and the rest of us from at least the Friday before. On the catering I the restaurant's in the Grandstand were truly ghastly, I found the little Kebab stall near the Grandstand, it was great value for money all freshly cooked and a little godsend as was the Yorkshire pudding stall by the big red bus! Yes the beer tent was outrageous but the big red bus nearer the fun fair was nearly a pound cheaper.
I visited Sainsbury's in Hythe (three miles from the site) on an almost daily basis as well as the services at the M20 for fuel. This was done in camo with no insignia visible and no crusher or holster. The staff and public were pleased to see us and very helpful, they were also keen to know how we were finding the new site, I also discovered that they had laid on extra staff for the week!
The show will only improve, Rex has a five year lease and needs to make it work. Despite the moaners and gloom merchants W&P will continue and we will all continue to come. It is the biggest militaria fair in the UK by a long way, oh you can go to Europe Manheim in October is great for vehicle parts, but no good for re-enactors, living history and the like. Love it or hate it W&P will continue with or without you.
My final thought - Rex please cut the number of bloody land rovers by three quarters!

Andy
Last edited by Sturmschar on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

"You're probably one of the organizer of WaP I guess or get well paid for this"

Silence you silly yellow fool!
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
grenadier Biermann

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Sturmschar wrote:"You're probably one of the organizer of WaP I guess or get well paid for this"

Silence you silly yellow fool!

Lek mich am arsch :wink:
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
karl

Post by karl »

I do and can relate to a few issues raised, from attending quite a few previous W&P shows. they have the same issues from there old shows then, I just think you are all, very lucky to have attended W&P show. To get your kit back on, and be back in the company of your kamerads, having a great time doing what you enjoy, for a change. PRICLESS Thats what its all about, isnt it......photos of the vehicles moving around..Amazing photos as said like eastern Ukraine 1943..if l was there I for one would have had the same view as Kit-Kat about show...

From me sat at home.. who missed the show because of pins and bolts in my foot from surgery... :roll: and now also the end of my canopy handling days :evil: :evil:

karl
Sturmpanzer Abt.
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Just heard there is going to be a £30 charge for parking this year
at the W&P, this is per car and includes charging reenactors.

After paying for 800 miles worth of fuel and taking unpaid
holidays from work this charge for reenactors I can't afford so
unless it changes I won't be going to this one, which is a shame
as I have been to the W&P every year since 2006 :-(
Peiper

Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Yup this is from the reenactors entry form.

Support Vehicles – all vehicles that remain onsite for the show will incur a £30 parking fee. Support vehicles will be
parked in the designated parking area. We would appreciate you only bringing support vehicles that are absolutely
necessary. Any vehicle found parked in the public parking areas will be removed and a charge of £30 to cover costs will be
levied.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Crazy Feldgendarme wrote:Yup this is from the reenactors entry form.

Support Vehicles – all vehicles that remain onsite for the show will incur a £30 parking fee. Support vehicles will be
parked in the designated parking area. We would appreciate you only bringing support vehicles that are absolutely
necessary. Any vehicle found parked in the public parking areas will be removed and a charge of £30 to cover costs will be
levied.

Shame.....i think greed has taken over :-(

Crazy Feldgendarme

Yeah according to that they want reenactors there BUT it appears you either pay (indirectly) to be there or go by public transport.
Could be a bit thin this year if they insist on this
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Crazy Feldgendarme wrote:Yeah according to that they want reenactors there BUT it appears you either pay (indirectly) to be there or go by public transport.
Could be a bit thin this year if they insist on this
Agreed Feldgen, re-enactors need to know this before turning up and being told they've got to fork out,
we should be charging them to be there tbh, without us there would be no show :cry:

Peiper

Crazy Feldgendarme

Yeah but lets not worry to much until we have heard from someone involved in organising the show as this COULD just be a cock up on the form

GeFoPo
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

I cannot win , i either pay the £30 :evil: :roll: to park in the support car park although as i live 30 mins away i do go home every night :shock: :lol: i will still have to pay , or i park in the public car park walk with all the gear each day though the main gates :shock: :roll: to get to our display and get the car towed and a bill of £30 + the chance of my car being damaged in the process :?: not a good situation to be in , i await to see what's going to happen on this £30 charge from the show organizers before 100% saying yes or no this year , shame as was really looking forwards to it :roll: :roll: :cry:
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
Konzert-Meister

Post by Konzert-Meister »

If moving site didn't kill it, this may well. One way around it is to pack a car with several people who wouldn't have otherwise gone together, only paying for one car.

It's either greed or an attempt to cover unseen cost. Either way, it doesn't look good. Moving site put people off...and now a £30 charge to park.

Other events do pay reenactors to attend and cover the cost of transporting military vehicles.

Victory Show is a much better event, I'll be going. Also, the new W&P site does cater for the groups who wish to have an authentic backdrop, like woodland. Everyone is crammed onto a field, resulting in every photo containing public, ropes, tape, other groups and other peoples vehicles.
gottmituns205

Post by gottmituns205 »

30 quid to park my car...then walk to the display whilst watching land rovers and jeeps and quads roll around when they are told not to.

Pass.
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Greg Cottee did post on facebook confirming this £30 charge.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”