War and Peace show revival

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Crazy Feldgendarme

Re: War and Peace show revival

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Methinks the show could be a little thin on the ground for reenactors this year since a good many NEED there car to transport shed loads of gear to an event so its not just the reenactors but the gear/weapons/tents etc etc etc that will not be on display.
Then of course there is the vehicles towing trailers with military vehicles on them that HAVE to stay on site.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Sounds like one of the bean counters has taken leave of their senses... unless it is a crafty way of weeding out those reenactors who throw a few bits of canvas up and then spend all their time wandering around the stalls? Bona fide groups they really want will get permits for members...
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Pug42 wrote: Bona fide groups they really want will get permits for members...
No mate there won't be any permits as far as i know, everybody will be in the same boat,
as Feldgen said early days yet, we'll see what happens, personally i think they are making
a big mistake doing this tbh

Although saying that i had a feeling this would come about since the venue was changed etc,
either a parking fee or some hidden charge or other, it looks like we will have to pay if you
want to go to this one....hey ho :roll:
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
karl

Post by karl »

well if thats the case, and its going to happen, l for one will never go to w&p again, l can see the Victory show, becoming the biggest and top show of the year to go to then
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Ok to clarify this parking charge situation i have today spoken to Rex Cadman at the Stoneleigh Fair.
I have asked him to email me with the reasons for the charges and he has agreed to do this. In the mean time there is a one off £30.00 charge per car for ANYONE attending the war and peace show. This is because additional car parking spaces have been obtained. Lets not all jump out of our prams until Rex has given his reply.
What is clear is that the charge is for the entire event, whether attendance is 1 day or all week, going home in the evening and returning the following day and does NOT incur further parking charges.
graham
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

pepperpot wrote:Ok to clarify this parking charge situation i have today spoken to Rex Cadman at the Stoneleigh Fair.
I have asked him to email me with the reasons for the charges and he has agreed to do this. In the mean time there is a one off £30.00 charge per car for ANYONE attending the war and peace show. This is because additional car parking spaces have been obtained. Lets not all jump out of our prams until Rex has given his reply.
What is clear is that the charge is for the entire event, whether attendance is 1 day or all week, going home in the evening and returning the following day and does NOT incur further parking charges.
graham
Thanks for the heads up Graham :wink:

karl

Post by karl »

Being Honest,, is not jumping out of a pram.. as you know, all reenactors put in a lot of there time and money to attend shows,, and now he wants me to give him £30 as well,,,l do know when someone is taking the Piss.
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

peiper1944 wrote: without us there would be no show :cry: Peiper
Yes there would.
Historically W&P has not primarily been a re-enactment event, it's a military vehicle show. Re-enactors have always been a sideshow.
People with military vehicles on display have always paid as I understand?
Charging re-enactors the same is just levelling the playing field?
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

should also have mentioned its per vehicle for parking not per person, so a car with 4 people is only £7.50. In my case i will have to pay £30.00 as i take my van.
graham
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

SplinterA wrote:
peiper1944 wrote: without us there would be no show :cry: Peiper
Yes there would.
Historically W&P has not primarily been a re-enactment event, it's a military vehicle show. Re-enactors have always been a sideshow.
People with military vehicles on display have always paid as I understand?
Charging re-enactors the same is just levelling the playing field?
That's fair comment but you know where im coming from as
a fellow reenactor, since the battles and displays have been
put on there has been a lot more people coming to watch tbh,
so in effect we have put more money in people's pockets imho
so to be charged for coming is a bit of a piss take in my view
Peiper

soest

Post by soest »

I would want to know more about why the charge was being levied so I could make an informed decision.

Yes I know and agree with a lot of what has been said above in that the various groups that attend add to the event and so a lot of people will attend because of it.

Do they need to add the charge to pay for better facilities that won't run out of water? Has the local council levied an extortionate charge for some reason? Is it purely to line pockets with profits or maybe some other funding they had been able to rely on previously to help put the show on is now unavailable and without the charge there is no show...

Bit of a paradox that last bit as with the charge reenactors may be disinclined to go and so there's no show anyway....
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

soest wrote:I would want to know more about why the charge was being levied so I could make an informed decision.

Yes I know and agree with a lot of what has been said above in that the various groups that attend add to the event and so a lot of people will attend because of it.

Do they need to add the charge to pay for better facilities that won't run out of water? Has the local council levied an extortionate charge for some reason? Is it purely to line pockets with profits or maybe some other funding they had been able to rely on previously to help put the show on is now unavailable and without the charge there is no show...

Bit of a paradox that last bit as with the charge reenactors may be disinclined to go and so there's no show anyway....
Good point :wink:
Whats the new charge in aid of, does anybody know ?
Peiper

karl

Post by karl »

pepperpot wrote:should also have mentioned its per vehicle for parking not per person, so a car with 4 people is only £7.50. In my case i will have to pay £30.00 as i take my van.
graham
Graham,, l am not having a go at you my friend,,, But have you tried getting 4 panzergrenadiers with all there kit,, tents ect plus more in one car :roll: :roll: :roll: :)
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

i accept your comments in full, however im trying to be the messenger in this, not cause a riot. Personally i dont want to pay to get in any re enactment shows, the worry is that this might and only might, set a precedence in re enacting. I'm still haven't received and comms. from Rex yet @13.36 hours
graham
soest

Post by soest »

Kameraden,

I've just had a look on the official W&PR website and on the news feed dated 30 Jan it talks about looking to improve the facilities for this years event with more and better showers, toilets etc and also talks about how water lines were tapped into to divert into various camps so causing damage to pipes, taps etc were left running so wasting water etc and they are looking at having cleaners on site 16 hours per day and security to ensure there is no damage etc, increased water storage and so on.

These extra facilities will cost money no doubt and although I have no proof that the two are linked I suspect the parking charge may well be connected.

Time will tell.

I have no problem with paying a charge for improved facilities but £30 seems a lot.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”