3 Cheers for Brit re-enactors.

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Emil

3 Cheers for Brit re-enactors.

Post by Emil »

Last Thursday at Beltring saw a realistically protrayed battle between re-enactors portraying Axis and British. Both sides took hits if obviously advancing or moving into a wall of enemy 'fire'. And folk being dropped was credible and authentic to the fee-paying public. The Scottish Piper was a great touch too.

The re-enactors portraying UK Airborne Forces carried out 'fire and manoevre' as though they were real soldiers, and then taking hits and falling, if they were caught or surprised fair and square by enemy small-arms fire. Just like what would happen for real. The public were convinced by this realistic re-enactment and showed their appreciation. Three cheers for them. :D

Then came the battles with re-enactors portraying US Forces, on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. :cry: They were, as usual, impervious to all small-arms fire. You saw groups of US-clad re-enactors bunched tightly, moving forward in huddles, being hosed with enemy fire from MG42s, MP40s and K98s - and then simply carrying on ambling forward as though nothing had happened. It looked unsoldierly, unrealistic and unprofessional.

I would certainly not be happy to have paid in some instances nearly £90 to see Axis skirmishing professionally and then falling if fired at from a distance close enough to kill them in real life, whereas re-enactors protraying US Forces not even attempting to play it for real in their lack of response to simulated effective enemy fire.

Those of us lucky enough to have jobs have to go to work on Monday. I'll be doing so with a limp and a livid bruise the size of a side plate on my upper right thigh. Why?

Because when I 'took the hit' from 7-8 'Yanks' advancing along a side of a tank on the last battle on Sunday (having first sprayed them from my MP40 - but as usual to no effect on any of them), I duly played dead, and lay down. I was then approached by a youth dressed in US WW2 kit, who gave a pat of my pockets lasting about a second (not even a proper check of enemy dead for intel) - and who then then kicked me hard when I was lying down. He laughed and stepped over me.

Is this the quality of 're-enactor' the public pay to see in Beltring?

The public do not expect to see this kind of thuggish behaviour from someone who shames those forbears he pretends to protray.

As re-enactors it is our duty to deliver accurate and credible performances both at our Stands and when in the arena - a performance when 'in battle' that looks believable and authentic. Anything less does not put us in a good light and it makes us look like school kids. We should surely try to act, or rather re-enact, more professionally than this?
grenadier Biermann

Re: 3 Cheers for Brit re-enactors.

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Yes Mate I agree with you Very often looks unrealistic and is really funny !!! That's why I'm upset and fed up with it!!! A small example Overlord this year 2012 firstly I have been told not to dirt my face too much but only put some smudge ( VIETNAM WAR YANK IMPRESSION ) and secondly only elite SS soldiers dying on the western front NOT a Yank !!! And REMEMBER make it REAL !!! And Don't FORGET your NCO'S always right !!! Especially Oscha's
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
sparky

Post by sparky »

This is why I don't do battles it's just a complete mess!
I'm sure with a bit of videoing these reenactors would maybe organise themselves better!
In the Saturday battle at w&p the Americans didn't lose a tank or any vehicle for that fact except a jeep they abandoned yet smoke was pouring from the German vehicles and the Germans were dropping everywhere, I'm not slagging the lads off as I get on well with a few of them but just wish it could be sorted then I might start doing battles. Also the germans always lose which is just plain bollocks!
Did a battle reenactment in Russia a few years ago and that was much better!
Proud to be a member of - WARS Das Reich -
Where the party never ends!
Oberleutnant

Post by Oberleutnant »

Sadly I dont think the yanks will ever change. Always hear this about most of them. Not all as I am sure some do it right. (i have seen some) Most Brit groups are very good and play fair and do it right. Same again there are always ones who don't. Thats why I don't watch w&p battles. The same happened last year with the yanks all walking up in a line all tight and some poor bloke with his k98 and scope shot the lot and not one died. he shot the lot and must of wasted a good 50 rounds for nothing. Shame he put loads of effort and got nothing for it.

Good on that Brit group for showing everyone how should be done and giving people pleasure.
Wir Fahren Gegen Engelland

PanzerGrenadier (Driver)
902 Panzer Lehr
peterwulfhund

Post by peterwulfhund »

..'Yanks'.. being a twat obviously comes with the (crappy) uniform :roll:
..at least the sun shone on Belters after all tho..
..when the final 'battle' was on ,personally I was looking round the stalls for bargains, a far better use of one's time imho ! :D
stefan

Post by stefan »

yes long overdue to see an exclusively Brit verses Axis battle but have to say it was a breath of fresh air
not perfect but more realistic than most of the American reenactors tend to be
I know the Brits lack armour but even when the American reenactors who have armour do deploy they do it
in a wholly unrealistic way, every member of the crew heads up and normally one chap on the back with a 50 cal
one burst from an Mg42 and the tank would be knocked out
I know its only reenactment but at least the German reenactors make an effort to do it right and from what I saw
so did the Brits
Lets hope we see more :D
peterwulfhund

Post by peterwulfhund »

Emil wrote:I was then approached by a youth dressed in US WW2 kit, who gave a pat of my pockets lasting about a second (not even a proper check of enemy dead for intel) - and who then then kicked me hard when I was lying down. He laughed and stepped over me.
..Personally if it were me, I'd have found this little wanker after the show, given him a quick punch on the ear when no one was looking, laughed and walked away! :lol:
Stefan1944

Post by Stefan1944 »

Got to agree the Brits looked great and very realistic and did really professional battle re-enactments....

A well deserved 3 cheers for the Brits... :lol:
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

stefan wrote:yes long overdue to see an exclusively Brit verses Axis battle but have to say it was a breath of fresh air
not perfect but more realistic than most of the American reenactors tend to be
I know the Brits lack armour but even when the American reenactors who have armour do deploy they do it
in a wholly unrealistic way, every member of the crew heads up and normally one chap on the back with a 50 cal
one burst from an Mg42 and the tank would be knocked out
I know its only reenactment but at least the German reenactors make an effort to do it right and from what I saw
so did the Brits
Lets hope we see more :D
Got to disagree with you on one point. Not all the yank armour crews were hanging out of their vehicles, and firing a 50cal. In our tank, we were far too busy working inside to see any of the battle...

So, yes, there were some who may have been showing their heads. BUT, don't tar them all with such a misinformed, sweeping statement. Thanks.
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

This is hilarious.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Botty

Post by Botty »

This is hilarious.
Why?
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

These forums get like a geeky groundhog day.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

You have only just realised?
Pick a hobby, pick a profession, pick a lifestyle. Find their respective forum, find geeky, nerdy, insular, self promoting, self important, blinkered, prejudice. The list goes on.
Ever visited one called arrse?
Emil

Post by Emil »

Absolutely spot on, Stigroadie,

this hobby is (or should be) just a hobby but you can see from the 'how dare you crticise us American re-enactors' responses I got on thw WIIRE Forum, to realise how vindictive and dictatorial some folk can get. One chap even threatened to ban me from the Arena in 2013. He thinks he has this kind of power over us ordinary men and forgets what this is all about.

Egoistical and power-mad, surly and friction-causing are descriptions that come to mind - why can't his sort just relax and enjoy it like most others try to do?

Ho hum..
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Stigroadie wrote:You have only just realised?
Pick a hobby, pick a profession, pick a lifestyle. Find their respective forum, find geeky, nerdy, insular, self promoting, self important, blinkered, prejudice. The list goes on.
Ever visited one called arrse?
Hehe. Always thought if you can post on Arrse, your probably retired, home guard, or clearly skiving in your room with the curtains drawn and the lights off.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

Return to “UK reenactment and events”