Bovington wartime christmas festival and craft fayre

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
ssparatrooper

Re: Bovington wartime christmas festival and craft fayre

Post by ssparatrooper »

Matt

Your post is funny as ****! lol
stof

Post by stof »

Steve, if your memory serves you right you will remember I came out for a smoke and politely said to you that we had been told at the previous show not to take the guns outside , I was only passing on what the curator of the museum had told me when I met with him a couple of weeks before to find out what was required and what was open to us and what facilities we would have.I did not say they would shoot you :lol: , only ( and as I was told ) that the guards at the camp directly across the road had no way of knowing the guns weren't real.
Our instructions were no blank firers and no uncovered weapons to be taken outside the show.
And as to the "teddy bear stalls" ,it was a Christmas Craft Fayre, or did you miss that bit , didi you think they had move Tankfest to December ? You obviously resented the advice given to me ,there was little point in continuing the conversation.
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

I thought it was a very enjoyable event. Yes there were lots of stalls selling Christmassy tat, but that's what you get when an event is billed as a Christmas Fayre and spelled with a "y". :lol:
The museum had well over 1000 visitors each day. Our group were kept busy all day and had a constant stream of interested people, as did the three other groups we chatted with at the pub on Saturday night. If you thought it was boring then maybe it's more to do with what you were doing rather than the fault of the museum and organisers.

Anyhoo, here are a few piccies for you to show how good some of the displays were

barryG

Post by barryG »

stof wrote:
barryG wrote:Jen and I had a good time Saturday, we did get free coffee all day but felt the public werent too interested in the reenactors. I went as Heer FG on leave and my wife as a German civilian with gifts. About three members of public asked us about our portrayals but most just werent interested at all. However, not having a display was a bonus as it meant we could walk about all day.
And you both looked excellent ,however and please don't take offence at this,but the old gent who came along just after I took your photo couldn't understand why the Tank Museum let somebody " in a bloody jerry officers uniform" walk around all day. I explained that we were portraying Christmas on the frontline for all nationalities,he said he understood that ,and accepted the germans at the tank display but exactly in what context were you there,he felt it was innappropriate.
It was an argument I couldn't win, but it is possible that some of the others were a bit unsure about approaching you.
We were busy pretty well non stop all weekend,and the feedback we got was that they loved the reenactors and felt it brought the museum to life.

With reference to the comment about it getting worse every year,this was only the second time this event has been held, and as I am pretty sure they guy who made it wasn't there last year , and at the point where the rifles were taken outside ,when I politely pointed out that last year we were told under no circumstances were uncovered rifles to be taken out of the building , to be fobbed of with "thats b**l**ks ,they ain't real anyway" have to say that at that point I'm not convinced anyone had asked.
No offence taken, lol! The context was very simple, I was on sick leave following an injury and was with my wife shopping for gifts.... hence my walking stick and her basket full of period "tat". Some people did ask and we told them and they were happy. Shame some grumpy old bugger couldnt be bothered to ask me, but thats the MOPs for you.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Ladies! Ladies ladies ladies!!!!

Matty - Steve - First off - Was brilliant to see you - I have missed Steve massively and it's ALWAYS great to see ya and have some banter - I'm deeply sorry that it wasn't an event that suited you - and so take the blame squarely on my shoulders for a duff invite. Truly guys - Sorry.

The event is an indoor Christmas Fayre, re-enactors are invited to add interest and another visitor attraction - just like a lot of other gigs really. The only bit I found abstract were Santa's ALPACAS - but then again - nothing really surprises me any more these days. As a fundraiser and to get money in for the Museum - it is their second most popular event. Last year was the first - it attracted around 950 people and considering the Museum prior to that on that weekend was lucky to see 100 people over the two days, it was judged a success. I was asked after Tankfest to help them put it on again and so stuck with the same formula - The stalls had been cocked up and so some were slotted in to spaces at the expense of re-enactor display areas - but I have to go with that as I'm down in the pecking order as it were. This year being the second Christmas Fayre - exceeded last year's total on the Saturday with around 1200 people on the Sunday! So it has doubled yet again! A big achievement considering little resources is given to it and Nicky only has trader's stall fees to use as her budget! Oh - any traders wanting to be there next year - make enquiries - you won't believe how cheap a table is.

My invites to people are based on the quality of displays and so Matty. you know then that I consider your boys up there - We try for a mix and this year as well as the obviously military ones we had Homefront, Jivers and hairdressers! All of which proved popular. I even managed to get some WWI boys who charmed the Museum immensely and provided the public with very informative and entertaining tours of the trench.

The Museum Director and Curator were there - The Workshop Manager also and he is warming to re-enactors - so much so he lets them have a clamber on his precious vehicles. I find the staff to be friendly and as much as they can, accommodating - They are stretched and are constantly dealing with some "issue" or another so at times we can feel a bit ignored - and several requests often have to be made..... I put 5 new displays in this year - The Dorsets, The Essex Rgt, Make Do and Mend Lady and Blitz Buddies as well as yourselves......... 4 out of 5 isn't bad but I feel shit cos a couple of good mates didn't enjoy it. Your invitation to TankFest still stands as I hope you enjoyed last year and think that the outdoor gig is more your cup of tea.

As for everyone else - I'm glad you all enjoyed it - EVERYONE'S input was greatly appreciated, welcome and needed and even though Matt has voiced some negatives on this thread - it will be looked at, discussed with the museum and where possible steps taken to avoid making people feel like this in future - I'm glad people do have the grit to speak about thongs other than rosy fluffy bunnikins as that way we improve instead of pootling on wearing the pink glasses!

Cheers
PD
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Cheers PD. We had received the message that we were allowed onto the tanks, but when I ventured on for a quick photo shoot (with my nice soft DMS boots, of course) a museum staff member appeared out of nowhere and told me to get down! :lol:

Didn't dampen my enthusiasm for the event - it's amazing how many kids (and adults) want to try on helmets, kit and play with guns, when you offer it to them. 8)
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"

Return to “UK reenactment and events”