Nov 5/6 Spanby winter battle - Bastogne/Foy forest

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Hoffman Grink

Re: Nov 5/6 Spanby winter battle - Bastogne/Foy forest

Post by Hoffman Grink »

How else should one take the written word? And you know very well that blatfests both public and private exist aplenty - people are drawn to them like moths to a flame because it's the only way an ordinary joe is gonna get to have some rock'n'roll full auto trigger time......... It's what lights some people's fires and will continue to be a part of what we do......... Pony battles are as much to blame for that as anything else.

As for the pot noodle "gag" - again - mars bars and pot noodles....... nipping out for a Maccy D or a chowmein....... as opposed to having a field kitchen load a dixie into a jeep and schlepp a steaming batch of corned beef hash up to "the front line"............ which delivers the ethos of what we are supposed (and I say supposed) to be about - It seems the "Purists" are no longer allowed an opinion and when they venture one - it is slapped down as spoiling the fun etc. What a lot of newbies want to remember is - those who came before me gave me the hobby I entered. I in turn contributed to that hobby along with those who were around me and we gave those today a legacy. As far as I can see - and I'm not on about Spanby per se - I'm on about the whole carnival atmosphere of this genre today......... It is being watered down and sanitised. The Skillmans and the Colborns and all those who have done this for many years see the changes. Now my generation sees it......... It's not what it was and it will never be that again.......... Having got that off my chest - I'll submerge again - and inform those who want to challenge it and argue with it - I really don't give a shit about your opinions......... just as you don't about mine.
SSnez

Post by SSnez »

Bloody hell you must have been sat on the crappa for hours thinking about that one. :lol:
"When I was bound apprentice in famous Lincolnshire"
SSnez

Post by SSnez »

You get it in every scene, I've done the scootering scene for years and we ride 300 miles on an Italian ladies shopping bike then you get 20 miles from the event and you see people taking their scooters out the back of a van and riding there. It's what people do, that's life.
Konzert-Meister

Post by Konzert-Meister »

Hello,

One of my best memories of Living History is when the Fjr6 bought a hot food container down to the front lines at PipPark when I attending with the Windhund in 2010.

Another is when I spent a night at Ashby in my slit trench in -9 and with blankets. The standard size canteens had frozen through!

I have done many public and a few private events, been an MG gunner at PipPark blasting the allies to bits but the best memories are the above.

If your attending a private event, ask yourself this...I joined my group to learn about history by living it or to see how many 50 round ammo belts I can shoot in one day and then have a chinese?

Just a thought, thanks for reading...
Nathan
SSnez

Post by SSnez »

Anyway back to the main topic. Is there anyone attending this event travelling up from north London area as two lads are looking to cadge a lift up the A1. Please get in contact ASAP if you can help out. many thanks
hanser

Post by hanser »

Hoffman Grink wrote:How else should one take the written word? And you know very well that blatfests both public and private exist aplenty - people are drawn to them like moths to a flame because it's the only way an ordinary joe is gonna get to have some rock'n'roll full auto trigger time......... It's what lights some people's fires and will continue to be a part of what we do......... Pony battles are as much to blame for that as anything else.

As for the pot noodle "gag" - again - mars bars and pot noodles....... nipping out for a Maccy D or a chowmein....... as opposed to having a field kitchen load a dixie into a jeep and schlepp a steaming batch of corned beef hash up to "the front line"............ which delivers the ethos of what we are supposed (and I say supposed) to be about - It seems the "Purists" are no longer allowed an opinion and when they venture one - it is slapped down as spoiling the fun etc. What a lot of newbies want to remember is - those who came before me gave me the hobby I entered. I in turn contributed to that hobby along with those who were around me and we gave those today a legacy. As far as I can see - and I'm not on about Spanby per se - I'm on about the whole carnival atmosphere of this genre today......... It is being watered down and sanitised. The Skillmans and the Colborns and all those who have done this for many years see the changes. Now my generation sees it......... It's not what it was and it will never be that again.......... Having got that off my chest - I'll submerge again - and inform those who want to challenge it and argue with it - I really don't give a shit about your opinions......... just as you don't about mine.

Paul
do you need a hug?.....I forgot to give you a hug at Levisham so is that why you`re unhappy? You know as well as I do that we all get different levels of realism from this hobby and thats a personal choice. I hope we can all be happy with what we get out of the hobby whatever the level of realism.
Hugs Dave.......
GRAUWULF

Post by GRAUWULF »

I agree Dave, and Paul you know as well as I do that there are re-enactors who embrace the hardcore and others that just dabble

I can remember lots of tacs where we have roughed it with a blanket and shelter half when it truly pissed it down whilst others slept in their cars or went away not wanting to face the elements for the weekend we can't enforce it they haven't joined the real army.

Thankfully though there are still many that do love that element of realism and Danny (wind up merchant he may be) spoke the truth when we tried our first Nam event when the enemy went solid 9 hours on us and ambushed us at every opportunity and it took 2 hours to traverse one section of the woods at jungle patrol pace let alone fire a shot.But again its personal choice what the individual wants out of it. I provide the area,the trenches,bunkers,minefields etc what they do with it is up to them!!!
Anyway get yer arse down to us at some point and both me and Dave will give you a hug!!!! :shock: :lol:
Cpl "Fritz" Hodgson
Axis 44
12 SS Hitlerjugend
(yes Ive finally gone over to the darkside!!)
Heute wir sind Roten, Morgen wir sind toten!!!
GRAUWULF

Post by GRAUWULF »

Back on topic now -answering a quick query - if you have just seen this post or heard about it yes you can still attend and pay your deposit upon arrival
Cheers
Chris
Cpl "Fritz" Hodgson
Axis 44
12 SS Hitlerjugend
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

wow shit yes i forgot about the paying thing
oops
money will bbe coming in me pocket ..to hand over in the car park ..
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
wolfsangel

Post by wolfsangel »

following the post by Hanser I thought I would ask if anyone actually wants catering for?

I'm quite happy to cater for the attendees if there is interest, I won't have the field kitchen, however I do have other field catering equipment I can bring (not just big pots and pans) if you fancy a nibble

cheers

Matt
Frontschweine, Regiment 409
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

wolfsangel wrote:following the post by Hanser I thought I would ask if anyone actually wants catering for?

I'm quite happy to cater for the attendees if there is interest, I won't have the field kitchen, however I do have other field catering equipment I can bring (not just big pots and pans) if you fancy a nibble

cheers

Matt
Top man! Thank you for offering!!

Anyone want to indulge!

(Now that is the spirit of reenactment!)

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
hanser

Post by hanser »

wolfsangel wrote:following the post by Hanser I thought I would ask if anyone actually wants catering for?

cheers

Matt
Matty boy, I was going to bring one of Louises cook pots and then everyone can just chuck in a tin or two of something and we`ll make a stew. that means we do one fire and we all eat a reasonable hot meal. I`ll leave the fancy chef bit to you but If it tastes good and don`t give you the shits its a winner in my book......look forward to seeing you mate...

Dave
GRAUWULF

Post by GRAUWULF »

WARNING ORDER

Winter Battle 04/05/06th NOVEMBER 2011 - SPANBY LINCS

DIRECTIONS

Nearest Sat Nav location is NG34 0AT (zero AT) this will take you to highfields country retreat the woods are located just past Spanby village which is about 1/2 mile up from here on the right.
Event will be signposted on the main A52 ,on mareham lane near the turning to Spanby and at the entrance to the location itself.Go through the village (please drive slowly) and after the last houses their is a track on your right which leads to the forest.
From the main A1 follow signs for Grantham and take the A52 towards Boston. At the roundabout linking the A15/A52 go straight over for about a mile you will come to a crossroads marked THREEKINGHAM right and SLEAFORD/HIGHFIELDS COUNTRY RETREAT left. Go LEFT follow Mareham lane past HIGHFIELDS and take the road to SPANBY which will be on your right (careful the turning is on a bend) follow the road through the village and you will come to the final event sign. If you get to a white farmhouse you have gone too far! Signs will be marked FOY.

ARDENNES/RHINELAND

The scenario for our weekend is a late 1944 early 45 Ardennes/Rhineland battle along the forested German border, it seems that the mighty German war machine has been driven back, disintegrating as it retreats; Allied victory is but a short leap away -or is it?

Although we can never hope to acheive an historically correct battle we hope to acheive:
a:) a visually,typographic,seasonal area that participants can experience in some way the conditions and type of warfare that was carried out in the closing months of WW2.
b:) Allows re-enactors of most units to participate and experience a small amount of tactical warfare in as near as we can make it environment and scenario.

Our scenarios draw their knowledge from experiences encountered in the Ardennes/Eiffel/and Rhineland Theatres of Operation.
This exercise is not a blatt fest there are strict rulings and objectives to be met and overcome. Team participation between all units is paramount for safety at this event.

Dress/Site rules

All units to operate as they would as it were Winter months,wools,greatcoats and mixes of uniform would not be unusual.(indeed I believe the 505 or 507 PIR were in M42's at this late stage after Market Garden due to timing and supply and many were drawn into the 17th Airborne jump on the Rhine with little or no resupply).
Unshaven and dirty as if you have been holding the same static lines for a considerable time.
Your tentage will be in the forest close to your relevant front lines you are expected to form unit relevant CP's and then man front line security foxholes and trenches organising unit guard rota's - there will be probe patrols on both sides throughout the night.

You may expand on your scrapes foxholes etc.
Any fires to be dug in pits - remember light and noise restrictions at front lines.

ALL combatants must wear steel helmets - this to distinguish those who have been deemed shot AND for health and safety there is a lot of pyro going into this.PLEASE TAKE HEED OF THE MINEFIELD SIGNS THEY ARE TRULY NO-GO AREAS.

There are no facilities at this site apart from an abundance of firewood!!!
I will be getting a couple of portaloos however you are expected to rough it!!!
There is no water on site I will have a small amount for emergencies if required.

Personal weapons are allowed as per usual rules with correct certification etc.

bangs and smokes are allowed just remember your safety rules which will be reiterated at the battle brief.

Police up all your rubbish we do not have the facilities to dispose of rubbish at the site. If it burns burn it,if its food bury it,if its bottles and tins bag it and take it!
Yes you may have a beer at night at your section commanders discretion if stood down, however be aware of your guard rotations and anyone deemed unfit will not be issued a weapon and will not battle for their own and everyone elses safety.

I'll say this again as I have done at all the events:
NO SHOT CALLING
I do not want to hear oi German behind the tree,oi Yank I got you
oi Tommy take your f***in hits!!
ITS VERY SIMPLE - keep it real if your target is teflon or genuinely doesn't realise he has been hit MOVE ON don't waste your ammo. You are coming to have a great experience not to get stressed out by hissy fits!!!!
Remember if this was real war you keep noise to a minimum.
I must say though that the first event we did at this site I did not hear a single one which is a testament to the quality groups who attend.
SCENARIO all timings fluid
Friday from 13:300: Set up Dave and Steve will be on site with armourer from 13:30 where they will direct you to what and where you need to do/go. I will be on site from about 5 after work.
Please see parking marshalls and report to armoury (if you have hired a weapon) and then to the CP Registration tent/marshalling area.Once registered you will be directed to the Allied or Axis front line once there you will be allocated a section of the line.This will be your base for the weekend.
Friday evening 1900 section leaders brief (do not worry if you are not there until early sat we will hold a second one prior to the main battle brief.

Sat: from 07:00 draw weapons
08:00 section leaders brief
08:30 main battle brief
09:00 site deemed live for EX.
19:00 armoury weapons back in.
Night ops as discussed with section commanders
Sun
0730 draw weapons
0830 site deemed live for cont EX
13:00 ish ENDEX,police site and safe trips home
The exercise is deemed complete when all German forces are deemed incapacitated or taken prisoner and all positions taken.
Costing is 30 gbp per head for the weekend.
Please ensure you have brought all documentation needed for weapon hire.
Please ensure you register upon arrival for site safety purposes.
Any questions please pm me or phone/text me 07971560249
Once again many,many thanks to the quality units both old and new who continue support this east mids event.
Cheers
Chris
Cpl "Fritz" Hodgson
Axis 44
12 SS Hitlerjugend
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

For those who have 7.92 weapons, I have a large quantity of re-sized 7.62 blank ammo. It is a mixture of HP and RG manufacturer. All oiled up, clean and ready to use.

Am asking £35/100. Not bad, considering 7.92 is £50+/100 these days.

Let me know before Thursday 2100 please if you want any.

Manny
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

Chris, I dont think M42s in an Ardennes/Rhineland event would tooo good mate. :shock:

"indeed I believe the 505 or 507 PIR were in M42's at this late stage after Market Garden" :?

"The 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions had recently disengaged from operations in Holland and were training and refitting in base camps in the Reims-Suippes-Sissonne area of France"

http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/507/507_trp.html

Hope this helps... :)

Return to “UK reenactment and events”