OPERATION APACHE SNOW - 20/21st AUG 2011 - SPANBY LINCS

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
GRAUWULF

OPERATION APACHE SNOW - 20/21st AUG 2011 - SPANBY LINCS

Post by GRAUWULF »

This one once again will have all the info on off topic as it is a Vietnam themed tactical.
After the huge success of the event in May I have been asked to host another Nam themed event please see the following link for a short DVD on the last one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG_LBhRz46o

Operation Apache Snow - 20/21 Aug 2011 Spanby Lincs

I have started putting together a scenario for the above event to be held in Aug - the weekend will revolve around the "Hamburger Hill" battle.
Simon has given me a few pointers and i have been busy researching!!
The VC/NVA will be occupying the bunker system (which we are expanding outwards with lots of concealed stuff) and it will be up to the 101st to take it.
I will be rucking up as 187th Infantry. (although there were also Cav,Marine and SF elements involved)
Scenarios and warning order to follow and I will speak to you all hopefully at the next Recondo event - if not at Belters (i'm coming Fri/Sat)
Cheers
for now
Chris
Cpl "Fritz" Hodgson
Axis 44
12 SS Hitlerjugend
(yes Ive finally gone over to the darkside!!)
Heute wir sind Roten, Morgen wir sind toten!!!
GRAUWULF

Re: OPERATION APACHE SNOW - 20/21st AUG 2011 - SPANBY LINCS

Post by GRAUWULF »

Can any German re-enactors wanting to do VC/NVA (which I know there is a few of you) yr weapons booked with John. He has AK's but ppsh's moisin nagants etc would not have been uncommon. Likewise US get yr 16's booked as they go fast!!!
US dress is Jungle Greens,M56 webbing and STEEL POT with mitchell cover (tiger stripe or ERDL) only if you haven't got 2nd patt jungle (I have a few jungle shirts I can lend at a push).We are trying to keep the scenario as close to the units as poss.
Many thanks
Please pm/email with queries
ta
Chris
Cpl "Fritz" Hodgson
Axis 44
12 SS Hitlerjugend
GRAUWULF

Post by GRAUWULF »

John Oxlades number for weapons hire is: John Oxlade at hire and fire 07769702781
Cpl "Fritz" Hodgson
Axis 44
12 SS Hitlerjugend
GRAUWULF

Post by GRAUWULF »

WARNING ORDER

OPERATION APACHE SNOW "Hamburger Hill" Vietnam Battle 20/21st AUG 2011 - SPANBY LINCS

DIRECTIONS

Nearest Sat Nav location is NG34 0AT this will take you to highfields country retreat the woods are located just past Spanby village which is about 1/2 mile up from here on the right.
Event will be signposted on the main A15/A52 roundabout,on mareham lane near the turning to Spanby and at the entrance to the location itself.Go through the village (please drive slowly) and after the last houses their is a track on your right which leads to the forest.

From the main A1 follow signs for Grantham and take the A52 towards Boston. At the roundabout linking the A15/A52 go straight over for about a mile you will come to a crossroads marked THREEKINGHAM right and SLEAFORD/HIGHFIELDS COUNTRY RETREAT left. Go LEFT follow Mareham lane past HIGHFIELDS and take the road to SPANBY which will be on your right (careful the turning is on a bend) follow the road through the village and you will come to the final event sign. If you get to a white farmhouse you have gone too far! Signs will be marked A SHAU.

OPERATION APACHE SNOW 1969 - A SHAU VALLEY
Operation Apache Snow was a joint U.S. and South Vietnamese military operation during the Vietnam War in the A Shau Valley.

Apache Snow was planned as an operation involving ten battalions. The initial assault force consisted of troops from the 187th, 501st, and 506th Infantry Regiments of the 101st Airborne Division and the 1st ARVN Division. The plan was to block escape routes into Laos and assault enemy formations and strongholds. The operation began on May 10, 1969.
The main objective became Hill 937, the resulting battle became known to the soldiers as "Hamburger Hill", an up to date reference to the bloody fighting during the Korean War at a place called "Porkchop Hill". After ten days of fighting, which involved 11 infantry assaults up hill 937 primarily by the 3rd battalion, 187th infantry, (causing heavy U.S. losses), US forces managed to capture the hill. A few weeks later the hill was quietly abandoned by U.S. forces.

The scenario for our weekend is loosely based on the events leading upto and including the assault,capture and eventual abandonment of Hill 937. Although we can never hope to acheive an historically correct battle we hope to acheive:
a:) a visually,typographic,seasonal area that participants can experience in some way the conditions and type of warfare that was carried out during May 1969.
b:) Allows re-enactors of most units to participate and experience a small amount of tactical warfare in as near as we can make it environment and scenario.

Our scenarios draw their knowledge from experiences encountered in the A Shau Valley throughout 1969.

This exercise is not a blatt fest there are strict rulings and objectives to be met and overcome. Team participation between all units is paramount for safety at this event.

Dress/Site rules

All units to operate as they would as if it were May of 1969.
US - jungle greens for all infantry units to include steel poty with "Mitchell cover",
tiger stripe/ERDL for SF,LRRP and ARVN as would fit the time frame.
M56 webbing rigged up to your MOS/role.
Personal hygiene was strictly under scrutiny in Vietnam - experienced NCO's would jump on cherries for not being shaven and keeping the body (especially the feet) as clean as possible as circumstances permitted so yes you would shave (the mind set being a soldier who doesn't look after himself - doesn't look after his kit - so is a liabilty to the rest of the unit).

Your hooches once again will be located within the main FSB. VC/NVA units to make a camp in village location and the positions around the area designated Hill 937.
Pup tents/shelters to be used for US troops, VC will use period tentage camouflaged or their own shelters as set up at the locations
Their is space in some of the large tentage at RIPCORD but will be on a first come first served basis.

You will be operating out of the FSB, platoon/squad leaders to organise RTO's and fireteams to conduct search and destroy as well as intel gathering missions PRIOR TO THE MAIN ASSAULT.

From Saturday morning both sides are considered tactical. Chow down by all means after a patrol or whilst at the FB but put out security - if contact occurs drop what you are doing and deal with the threat - I cannot stress enough that I want this as real as possible don't get caught with yer pants down!!!!! VC units have been given carte blanche to roam freely and attack/ambush at any time from anywhere so expect it not to be as peaceful as you think!!
Remember light and noise restrictions at positions and place your security.

There are no facilities at this site apart from an abundance of firewood!!!
There are some realistic latrines made for "emergencies" remember to p**s in the tubes made up or behind a convenient tree away from fighting /sleeping positions I cannot burn excess liquids in the thunderboxes so use common sense.
There is no water on site bring full canteens with you and I have bottled water to top up unit water supplies.
Bring whatever rations you can eat out of a tin or heat up over a brazier (personally I eat 20 Marlboros whilst battling so no probs there!!)

Personal weapons are allowed as per usual rules with correct certification etc.

bangs and smokes are allowed just remember your safety rules which will be reiterated at the battle brief.

Police up all your rubbish we do not have the facilities to dispose of rubbish at the site. If it burns burn it,if its food bury it,if its bottles and tins bag it and take it!
Yes you may have a beer at night however be aware of your guard rotations and anyone deemed unfit will not be issued a weapon and will not battle for their own and everyone elses safety.

I'll say this again as I have done at all the events:
NO SHOT CALLING
I do not want to hear oi you behind the tree,oi Yank I got you
oi Charlie take your f***in hits!!
ITS VERY SIMPLE - keep it real if your target is teflon or genuinely doesn't realise he has been hit MOVE ON don't waste your ammo. You are coming to have a great experience not to get stressed out by hissy fits!!!!
Remember if this was real war you keep noise to a minimum.

SCENARIO all timings fluid
Friday from 12:00 Set up (We will have units set up from then report to registration tent on arrival).
Please see parking marshalls and report to armoury (if you have hired a weapon) and then to the CP Registration tent/marshalling area.
Once registered you will be directed to the US or NVA area.This will be your base for the weekend.
Friday evening 1900 section leaders brief in the TOC (VC/NVA included -do not worry if you are not there until early sat we will hold a second one prior to the main battle brief).
Followed by a few beers with some period music in the TOC where everyone can get aquainted with old and new faces.

Sat: from 07:00 draw weapons
08:00 section leaders brief
08:30 main battle brief -objectives and distribution of call signs for RTO's
(NVA/VC leaders to brief enemy units at VC site)
09:00 SF units to conduct intel/recon patrols only.
09:15 Infantry/LRRP/Marine units to move out from RIPCORD on CA to probe and assault objective.
We will have a downed chopper scenario running by the side of the main scenario where both sides are to try and locate the aircrew. Aircrew are to escape and evade until captured or encountering friendly forces.

US objectives are to locate VC camps/weapons stores,rescue downed aircrew,assault Hill 937. We will not "fight through" ambushes but will withdraw under fire once contact initiated to a secure zone.
VC objectives are to set up ambushes (including mechanical traps) and ghost away.And heavily defend hidden VC positions.

We will stay tactical until dark (when section 5 weapons will have to be stored in armoury).
We will have parachute flares for illum at night. But we will discuss this on Friday as it gets bloody dark in that forest!!!!

Sun from 07:00 draw weapons (if hired)
08:00 section leaders brief
08:30 Stand to both sides.
US units to carry on with aggressive patrolling to clear out enemy units within the area.
VC units to continuing ambush and defence of positions.

The exercise is deemed complete when all VC forces are deemed incapacitated or taken prisoner OR the assault (God forbid!!!) fails to acheive its objective!!!
Endex 13:00 hrs ish

Please note that the pyro (mortar attacks) is going to be up close and personal so if its your positions being shelled - keep your head down in your foxhole/trench.
VC have put up trip wires/booby traps (they will shock you but not harm you!!)

COSTING/WEAPONS HIRE
Weapons hire is from John Oxlade- hireandfire@hotmail.co.uk. Tel 07769702781.
Get them booked in as they are going fast!!!!!
Costing is 30 gbp per head for the weekend.
Please ensure you have brought all documentation needed for weapon hire.
Please ensure you register upon arrival for site safety purposes.
I am away til the 10th August
Any questions please leave me a text or contact Andy Marsh or Dave Barrett who I'm sure will follow this up with details!!!
07971 560249
kazandchris05@gmail.com
Cheers
Chris
Cpl "Fritz" Hodgson
Axis 44
12 SS Hitlerjugend
GRAUWULF

Post by GRAUWULF »

Right back from Nth Africa I need all participants/people attending to contact me no later than next Wed!!
thankyou for emails/pms etc!!
Chris
Cpl "Fritz" Hodgson
Axis 44
12 SS Hitlerjugend

Return to “UK reenactment and events”