Pippingford Park Tactical 2012 ....21st/22nd APRIL

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
pepperpot

Re: Pippingford Park Tactical 2012 ....21st/22nd APRIL

Post by pepperpot »

There are two main entrances to this event, the AXIS entrance is on a slight bend on the main road A22, if you google map the post code and zoom in on the A22 the top shows WYCH CROSS then A22 then LIMEKLIN WOOD. zoom in and you will see a very small layby (from the north on the LHS and from the south RHS) this is the entrance, when inside keep to the right, hopefully someone might be on guard
TN22 3HW POST CODE if you get stuck i hope to be there about 1600 hours mobile is 07831 488837 subject to reception.
graham
(trying to find an old pic of this entrance).
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

As Graham says ite the entance with a lay by...A22, its a very fast road and people do tend to drive right up your back side, so if htis is the case...go for the lay by if it comes up quickly...Heading south I use the signs for the Llama farm as a warning that Pippers is coming up.
Once turned off the A22 drive up a small lane to where it opens out, turn right onta a mud track and drive along to HUT D...park up sensible..... its not Glastonbury but the rain is in..... so could become like it!.
Pete.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

went there today and can confirm that the SAT NAV is very accurate 'right to the front door' so to speak
As pete says the road is very fast, i have taken some photos but cant work out how to attach to this reply.
A22 main road
So comming from the south there is approx 1 mile 1.6KM before the entrance, which is on the RHS of the road, the road has a slow bend to the left and the entrance /layby can be cleary seen.
Comming from the north the same applies, use the 2nd entrance on the left. theroad has a slow bend to the right and pp entrance is in the the layby.
THIS IS A SINGLE LANE ROAD WITH A 50MPH, 80KPH SPEED LIMIT, from what i saw today while taking the photos, no one adhears to the limit. Make sure you indicate well before the sat nav says you have arrived. There is also a 'for sale'notice on the grass verge.
if anyone can tell how to download photos, please pm me.
thanks,
graham
oh the latest forcast for this weekend is only suitable for ducks, so make sure the zelts are fully waterproof.
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

Plan is for "The Brief(Safety and Battle)" to be given at 0645/0700 at the Axis CP. From there, those who require weapons will move out,TOGETHER, to Oxlades position at HUT A.(Maps have been sent out to the SNCO's) Those who do not require weapons, will move out upon completion of the brief, or as soon as afterwards to their designated positions.

(If you are up early enough, and know where Oxlades position is, then by all means go and get your weapon. HOWEVER, you must be back at the Axis CP for the brief. A register of those attending will be taken.)

Leave extra kit and supplies at the Axis CP for collection later. Or, if you feel up to it, bring it with you.I suspect, you'll want to leave it there.

I will be onsite from Friday 1630, so catch up with me then. Any questions, fire ahead.

Manny/Stetzler
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

Guys, latest intel reports suggest,rather ADVISE that the briefings WILL take place at 0630 at the Axis CP for Axis troops only. Weapons will be collected after that.

I know people's personal lives are different, and some simply can't make it, but if you can,please consider getting there by Friday evening. Less rush Saturday morning.

Those troops turning up past briefing times, make your way to the Axis CP and await orders.

Cheers
S.Wilhelm

Post by S.Wilhelm »

Taking the fligth from Spain... See you there guys!
Schütze Siegfried W. Inselmann
1. / SS-Inf.Ers.Btl. Deutschland
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

S.Wilhelm wrote:Taking the fligth from Spain... See you there guys!
Bring the bloody sun with you?. :(
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Car packed. Excited now :D
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
mikebie

Post by mikebie »

Hurrah wir fliegen!
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

Home. Washed and fed. And ready for bed. :wink:

Before that though, a few words from meself.

First off thanks to Pete Skillman for organising the site and an excellant scenario. But, thanks go to you guys who made the great efforts to get there, and make it all happen. Thank you!

The standard of kit, overall appearance and positive attitude really was of a high standard! People had obviously paid attention to their kit and thought it all out. I watched troops putting in attacks and moving through positions and was wholly impressed by the sight of it all! :wink: Well done!

There were a few significant parts of the plan that saw the use of pyro...and plenty of it! The first one was by the central bridge, first thing Saturday morning. The explosions did actually lift me from the ground.Bloody impressive! The attacks along the high ground and the bridge attacks were also supported by "artillery attacks"... :wink: so a big thanks to Mark Almond for laying the pyro over the weekend. :wink:

Regarding the Central Bridge attack, It was great to watch confusion reign amongst the Allied ranks when the charges went off! This was the ideal moment for the Axis troops(Fjr2,Fjr6,Fjr6-Ireland and 409th ID and TotenKoph.) to open fire and this eventually pushed the Allied forces back!

The Allies regrouped, and found a second route to the highground on the left flank of the bridge. The Fallschirmjaeger of KG Kaeppner had this route covered, however, in the face of overwhelming forces they had to give up the ground,losing men and retreating back to the main body of troops on the road below. From here, the Axis troops were pushed back, taking up defensive positions from the weir and beyond, and extending down to the river on the right flank. KG Hausser(GD Fusiliers,Windhund-Holland, and Das Heer) took up positions along the river defending the bridges against attack, which actually never came through. The Allied forces had obviously done their recce properely, and realised that they would never have made headway via this route!

Shortly after the main bridge attack, up on the high ground to the right of the river line the Brit Airborne had advanced and attacked the Kampfgruppe of KG Jungmann(Thunder from Heaven). This attack was stalled successfully, and at the same time, was supported by the KG Hausser troops.Yes, all uphill. Fantastic effort by those troops involved. I witnessed this from the otherside of the valley. However, once again Allied forces were far superior in numbers and those Axis troops of KG Jungmann had to give up ground, and pull back alongthe high road. However, the Allied forces were made to fight for the road suffering from strong defensive actions put in by KG Jungmann, and KG Steiner(Das Reich and KSK). These attacks by the British forces pushed all the way to the Bailey Bridge and that ground was eventually taken by them, but not until after a huge defensive action by Axis forces in that area.

Saturday saw the Axis main line of defense established along the road known as Canada road and to the river. However, we had an OP further out to the weir. Also, down at the Bailey Bridge and the next bridge along we had established a defensive area there.

Sunday saw the Axis forces taking up positions along Canada Road, and along both sides of the river running down to the Bailey Bridge. Attacks by Allied forces were countered by all Axis forces but, again ground had to be given up. One high point, was the successful capture by the windhund, of the M8. This was used to help counter the armoured push along the main road by the M10(Achillies). These troops were pushed all the way to the bailey bridge, where they were annihilated by overwhelming british/Allied forces.

Meanwhile Axis troops withdrew towards the Bailey Bridge along the river line. The fighting was intense and took it's toll. The withdrawal of Axis forces stoped and came to a head, just short of the footbridge up fom the Bailey Bridge, where an all round defense was established. In face of this defensive position, the Allied attack stalled and even suicidal attacks by US forces could not overcome the axis troops.Resulting in the Axis forces surviving until the final whistle was blown.

Some personal thanks must go out to those vehicle owners who unhessitantly, offered their services ferrying troops, orders and supplies whenever required. I was impressed by the fact that whenever asked, they not once refused. Graeme(Pepperpot on here)from Das Heer, Dave Grover from Thunder From Heaven and John from KSK, thank you!

I also must say thanks to all Axis troops who cleared away their rubbish.Thank you. However, there was one bag of rubbish left by a tree, which was kindly taken away by the guys from KSK,thanks! Also, a big thanks to my "batman" :wink: Les Hearn and Andy Francis for helping to maintain the CP. Les brought his Enigma along and set himself up with his radios etc. A great display, unfortunately, not all who were there had the opportunity to see this.But, it really was a great display!

Lastly, but not by any means least, thanks to David and Botty for coming along as PK Photographers. So, make sure you watch this thread or, the Photographic section for updates.

Thanks

Manny(The gobby C***! As described by one of the vehicle drivers,clearly not used to my style of approach.. :oops: :D )
mikebie

Post by mikebie »

On behalf of 13 Kompanie/FJR6 (irland) I'd like to extend a big thank you to Manny, Pete, Steve, Jeff and to all the lads for their Kameradschaft, support and above all, company for the weekend.

Nice also to meet other groups again - especially the 409th who doggedly protected our right flank throughout!

It was an excellent scenario and thoroughly enjoyed by all concerned!

Despite the overwhelming numbers we held our ground, gave a little and delayed the Allied steamroller a little longer!

We're back safely - battered and sore - but elated and regrouping for the next encounter!

Horrido!
kurt koniger

Post by kurt koniger »

Had a great weekend. Thanks to John and all from 409 for letting Mick and myself tag along, maybe we should think about developing the sausage mortar for the next one. Top bit of TDA by Windhund!. Once again, a great weekend and thanks to all. Gary
mrseppd

Post by mrseppd »

yes i would like to second that, on behalf of (KSK) kampfgruppe stahlkrieger would just like to thank everyone who made it possible, it was a great event and was enjoyed by all.
thanks to pete for the organising and manny a job welldone as the CO you were on top of the game and thats what made it happen cheers for that, also was good to team up with dave and the das reich lads ..
we were just content that we inflickted maximum damage on the allied advance, just looking forward to the next one where we are looking at giving even bigger and better support..
cheers martin..
Botty

Post by Botty »

Just got back home. First job after unpacking the car was mixing the chemicals to develop the films taken at the event.

Watch this space!
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

I feel like I've been run over.

I have to say a massive thank you to the FJ chaps that picked me up at oxlades after our fight to the death to slow the allies up. I was struggling to walk, the lift back was a massive help.

Also a big thanks to John from KSK for running everyone around, and the same to Pepperpot, especially for running water down to the Bailley bridge for us. Thanks to Das Reich for having me, thoroughly enjoyed the banter and camaraderie.

Met some great people, made some friends, and I've left with many good memories.

If anyone has picked up an extra gas-mask tin let me know. I'm missing a 1940 dated original, in feldgrau, marked '51' iirc, with a gascape bag on the outside, one canvas utility strap, and one leather. Bread, fat dish, and some tins of food inside. Let me know if it turns up, thanks.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”