New Event Thirlestane Castle, Lauder , Scots Borders 5th Jun

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
PanzerMart

New Event Thirlestane Castle, Lauder , Scots Borders 5th Jun

Post by PanzerMart »

Forwarded from Mr D. Irvine on his behalf

Hi all

I am posting to invite any Groups, or Military Vehicle owners would be interested in attending our event, the Scottish Borders Historic Motoring Extravaganza, on Sunday, 5th June 2011 at Thirlestane Castle, Lauder.

First, here is a little information about the show. It is principally a car show, which is organized by the Borders Vintage Automobile Club, of which I am a Committee Member. This years show will be our 39th, and sixth at Thirlestane Castle. Previously our event was held at Mellerstain House.

The show has grown from around twenty exhibitors in the early years, to over a thousand entries in 2009, when we hosted the SVVF Champion of Champions. However, although we have no problem in getting classic cars to attend, many other vehicle classes were dropping away. One of those was Military Vehicles, to the extent that in 2006 we only had one Austin Champ at the show.

As I am a Military Vehicle enthusiast, and do a bit of re-enactment, I volunteered to see if I could increase the number of vehicles attending our event. I was quite lucky in that the owner of the Champ is Alistair Smith, who is an Area Liaison Officer for the Scottish Military Vehicle Group, and who lives within a couple of miles of the show. Between Alistair and I we have been able to increase numbers with 22 vehicles attending this year.

One thing from the outset was that we did not just want a row of vehicles as in the car classes, so the Military display area has vehicles parked as if they might have set up camp for the night, with tents, nets etc. Our club have been very pleased with the results so far, and are quite happy to further extend the display. My thoughts are that I would like to see a Military show in its own right within the main show. Situated as we are in the Borders, it would be a great place for clubs from Scotland and Northern England to meet up. So far members of Scottish Military Vehicle Group who last year brought their club shop, Berwick & Borders Military Vehicle Club, and the Ex Military Land Rover Association also attended.

For 2010, we added Re-enactment/Living History displays with 4th Indians Living History group and Kampfgruppe Schotland attending.
Both groups intend to attend in 2011, with Kampfgruppe Schotland planning to arrive on Friday and use part of the weekend as training. Other groups have also expressed interest.

We have plenty of space, and the Committee is fully behind the idea, although sadly, there is not a budget to specifically develop this part of the show. However, our show does not have any entry fee so it will not cost you to attend our show (apart from the cost of fuel!)

I hope that this event will grow. It is still fairly small, but the few who have attended seem to have liked it, and we are always looking for ways to improve it. Although it is part of a car show, I would like to see it develop in its own right.

Thirlestane castle is situated by Lauder, and is sandwiched between the A68 and A697, so is easily accessible from Southern Scotland and North East England.
The show is only open to the public on the Sunday, but there is a road run on the Saturday, although I must admit that the Military Vehicle owners tend not to take part in this.Maybe, they would like to organise their own thing?

Access is available from the Friday with Free camping available on your pitch(military tentage) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Facilities are basic, with portaloos and a standpipe for water. If you want similar facilities but prefer modern tents, we have a camping area for a small fee. Alternatively, there is a fully serviced caravan and camping site adjacent to the show field, but this is run as a business, so you would have to pay for that.

We are having entertainment in the marquee on Saturday night and a barbeque /food (bar and food not free). If you don't fancy that, we are next to the village of Lauder with its hostelries, and a Fish & Chip shop.

For your interest, Thirlestane castle is owned by the Maitland family, who have a strong military background. One, Field Marshall Sir Henry Maitland-Wilson originally coined the phrase "Any damn fool can be uncomfortable". Sadly, one of the family, Viscount Ivor Colin Maitland, died during the North Africa Campaign while serving with the Lothian and Borders Horse Yeomanry. The castle itself was used as a Military hospital for British and Commonwealth troops during World War 1.

I hope that some of you might be interested in attending our event. Because Living History is fairly, new to us, I do not have a specific entry form yet, but can pass on our regulations should you want to attend. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

David Irvine
evelyn@birth.plus.com

http://www.bvac.org.uk
Never Surrender. Your Honour lies in victory or death

Return to “UK reenactment and events”