Tankfest 2011 – The Most Explosive Weekend In History!

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Date of Event: From 25th June 2011 to 26th June 2011
Time of Event: 10:00 - 17:00
Venue: The Tank Museum & Tank Museum Arena
Entry Fee:
See here http://www.tankmuseum.org/ixbin/indexpl ... rd=ART2565

The World’s best display of moving armour returns to The Tank Museum!
Experience the best display of historic moving armour in the world at The Tank Museum – bringing the story of tanks, tank crew and soldiers to life...

Details are currently being devised for the Museum's showcase event, but visitors can expect the usual high standard historic vehicle displays, living history, family entertainments and explosive mock battle demonstrations.

AFRA and Dave Pratt are very pleased and proud to announce that they have been chosen to work with the Tank Museum Bovington to produce Tankfest 2011. This is a partnership born of our work together at the Victory Show and Dave’s wealth of experience gained on that project will be invaluable on this.
Already a large number of groups are on board and preparing to make this the best ever Tankfest.
The Museum is very receptive to our new approach and ideas and we are looking forward to a very dynamic partnership with them.

If you have taken part before or if you would like to take part for the first time and we haven’t already contacted you then please drop us a line to tankfest@afra.org.uk and give us a brief idea of what you can do and how many people you will be. Include some photos and a bit of background. The more targeted this is, the better we can try to fit you in. We can’t guarantee everyone a place but we can tell you that there are lots more opportunities than before to participate. The displays are bigger and the format is going to be ground breaking. The emphasis will be on working alongside and in conjunction with others. You may find yourself combined with one, two or even more groups to form a large, themed display. So be very prepared to relax and let down the barriers to integrate with other practitioners of the hobby to achieve some stunning results.

Alongside the Military Aspect of the show we are looking for good 1940s Home Front Re-enactors – Not posh frocks and suits so much as munitions workers, tradesmen (and women) market traders, Home Guard, ARP, Police, Soldiers on leave with their families, that type of thing.
We already have British Airborne Troops, German Airborne Troops, US Troops (AB/ Infantry/Marines), British Infantry, Soviet Infantry, German Infantry. We have European Theatre, Pacific Theatre, North Africa and Italian Campaign planned. We are looking at the Far East and if you can suggest an exciting theme we will consider it. There are also post war displays including Korea and Vietnam being prepared – The Alvis Fighting Vehicle Society is on board and Rolling Thunder are expected to return. Really we are looking for anything up to 1982 for inclusion so get your thinking caps on and contact us.

The Museum is looking at its collection and will shortly be giving us a list of available vehicles which they are prepared to let us use for display. Some will be incorporated into the dioramas being planned and others will be given over to correctly attired crews which we will be asking for as and when we know which vehicles are to be allocated. If you are lucky enough to be asked to form a crew we will ask you to dress the vehicle and man it during the show hours for the public – So it will be important that you know something about the wagon you are sitting on!

The Battle – The all important battle. Well people already know AFRA’s reputation on that score – And we promise you – we will live up to it at Tankfest. The arena is smaller and has people 360° so careful planning is necessary. Due to the size, numbers of participants will be restricted and at this stage we have to be candid and say that not everyone will be able to take part. The battle will be a spectacular display of vehicles, firepower, movement and pyrotechnics and after consultation with the Museum in January, the theme will be finalised. Thereafter we will be approaching experienced units with a view to them being our battle participants. It definitely won’t be a cast of thousands but the numbers will be sufficient to make the area look busy. Remember folks – we will be selecting people to match the scenario.

So that’s it folks – Please address all enquiries and correspondence in the first instance to tankfest@afra.org.uk and we will endeavour to respond in a timely fashion. Tankfest 2011 just got better. Trust us.

(NB - email goes live at midnight Tuesday 4 Jan 2011)
nelz

Re: Tankfest 2011 – The Most Explosive Weekend In History!

Post by nelz »

Great news Paul ,.... sounds fantastic.
Good luck to both Dave and yourself on this one , I know all the hard work you have already put in,.... I am sure this will be an excellent event!

The Yorkshire Wartime Experience http://www.ywe-event.info/
yorkshirewartimeexperience@live.com
elitemilitaria@live.co.uk
Mobile : 07413-707121
grenadier181

Post by grenadier181 »

Please note the email address is not yet active. I will let you know when.
grenadier181

Post by grenadier181 »

email address now available
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Looking to hear from Field Kitchens and Support Services (Hospitals, Laundry, NAAFI, Red Cross, Winterhilfswerk etc.)

Looking to hear from Rear Echelon Support such as Repair Workshops

Looking to hear from Female Re-enactors with a view to giving them their OWN AREA in which to set up Communications or Auxiliary Services. A combined display is planned bringing together "The Women of WWII" and instead of being in the shadow of the blokes (or more realistically, sat on a combat display looking out of place) we will give you a well proportioned, decently appointed Display area to set up an office or other suitable scenario. Both Allied and Axis wanted.

Looking to hear from Home Front civilians and other personnel.

Looking to hear from WWI groups.

Looking to hear from anyone who considers they have a relevant and interesting display that will fit in amongst the Living History already attending.

Contact us at tankfest@afra.org.uk and let us know what you can do.
Ohmhagen

Post by Ohmhagen »

sounds very good, but i have to stay than for more then 4 Weeks to catch this and the War & Peace Show. Hope to get enough holydays.....
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Ohmhagen wrote:sounds very good, but i have to stay than for more then 4 Weeks to catch this and the War & Peace Show. Hope to get enough holydays.....
Moin Ohmhagen!
Perhaps if you contact one of the GrossDeutschland units attending Tankfest they may arrange to "host" you for the event. We at AFRA would be truly happy to have you attend and enjoy another premier event in UK. Walther on here is with GDRecon and Bauer can give you contacts with PFRGD.
Mit Besten
PD
Walther

Post by Walther »

Herr Ohmhagen,

I'm sure we in the Aufklärungsabteilung can find space for you somewhere if all else fails - what can you / do you do?

Neil.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Walther wrote:Herr Ohmhagen,

I'm sure we in the Aufklärungsabteilung can find space for you somewhere if all else fails - what can you / do you do?

Neil.
He speaks German convincingly!
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

Hoffman Grink wrote:
Walther wrote:Herr Ohmhagen,

Neil.
He speaks German convincingly!
Being serious, what better at a display than a large group of reenactors speaking German within ear shot of the public 8)
Ohmhagen

Post by Ohmhagen »

Walther wrote:Herr Ohmhagen, I'm sure we in the Aufklärungsabteilung can find space for you somewhere if all else fails - what can you / do you do? Neil.
in my real live, i was an S2 officer, what means in Wehrmacht Ic. So, interrogation is, what i can do best......
I am not shure, if this is usefull......
Gilhusen

Post by Gilhusen »

any restrictions on uniform?

looks great anyway :)
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Gilhusen wrote:any restrictions on uniform?

looks great anyway :)
When you ask this question are you asking about SS uniforms? Also are you planning on just coming along?

To answer those pre-emptively:

Tank Museum does not want SS Portrayals at TankFest. They do have SS Portrayals when in context and in keeping with their requirements. Tank Fest is not one of those events.

Individuals are not permitted to "turn up" and wander around. All participants will be booked in through us and must be with or attached to a bona fide group or organisation and must have at least Third Party Public Liability Insurance in effect. Plus proof of such.

If you wish to have any more information Kamerad Gilhusen then by all means contact me by PM and we can clarify things for you.

Mit Besten
PD
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

My congratulations Paul, genuinely hope it is a success.

Nick
Transferred to 17 Kompanie, Infanterie Regiment, Großdeutschland....
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Thanks Nick - And genuinely - if you can make it at all - you are more than more than welcome. I think I speak for all there.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”