Tankfest 2011 – The Most Explosive Weekend In History!

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Walther

Re: Tankfest 2011 – The Most Explosive Weekend In History!

Post by Walther »

Back and squared away after the weekend - achy joints and cherry red face to prove it :)

This was GD's 4th Tankfest so i'm in a lucky position to be able to compare and contrast. All in all a good weekend and a noble effort by the AFRA team to try and get to grips with what i know can be a very tricky event.

Some of the living history displays I walked past looked excellent and you could really tell who had put the graft in to make the best of what they had. Space was at a premium in the L/H section and the ground of course was (literally) rock hard which made digging deep trenches very difficult indeed. On the other side of the road there seemed to be loads of free space which was a bit frustrating (but I guess that was down to the museum).

Sundays battle by far wopped on Saturdays (always the way) and it was refreshing to see the Brits advancing on us through the smoke, shorts on and bayonets fixed just like my old toy soldiers - well done you!

Must admit the museum's attitude towards the re-enactors (as in previous years) sucked. The parking situation wound me up and the attitude of those policing it on Saturday morning rattled most of us. Not being allowed access to the only stand pipe on the field was also a bit of a problem as the heat mounted. Another terse reply from some 'hi-viz Hitler' only served to upset our water boys and left us gasping for a drink for a couple of hours whilst they 'watered the garden'. The bar not being open was also a shame for those wanting to get their glad rags on and go for a social in the evening, the woman at the bar was apparently tired by 19.30 and announced she was sacking it off.

Despite the negatives, a good time was had by GD and we had a right laugh as a group (Cleveland Steamroller anyone?). It was a pleasure to have our Fusilier Kameraden alongside us for the weekend both on the display and during the battle. Also nice as well to see a few faces i've not seen in a while and have a good catch up.

Thanks to Stig for sorting out the blanks for us and of course to PD for the 99's.

Look forward to the pictures :)

Neil.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

grenadier181

Post by grenadier181 »

I will leave PD to do the main write up, but I just wanted to say thank you to all those that turned up, for making the best of the space that was available and for being damn good sports. Well done the people in the battle for making it look good, we can write it, we can direct it, we can make the bangs, but it was you in the field making it happen.

It was nice to get round some of you that I have not met before.

Good job all round
FMROMMEL

Post by FMROMMEL »

Looks like it was very hot there too!
Last edited by FMROMMEL on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.forceschildrenstrust.org
The Forces Children’s Trust is helping dependent children that have lost a parent whilst serving with UK Armed Forces.
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

If I read around it was NOT us that started the 2011 ice cream joke I think it was ####…

Anyway Bob Monkhouse managed a whole career on one joke so lets learn from the best…

One joke but many tricks, not just a one trick pony…..

Look there I go again banging the same old drum….

Yes we had fun, yes we told a few jokes, yes we had a laugh, yes at someone else’s expense…. Who doesn’t….

After all it’s our dream and we live it the way we want…

So live your dream and don’t worry what Fred at no.64 thinks….

:wink:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
grenadier181

Post by grenadier181 »

Some pictures here, I do like the Ice Cream van queue!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1087794733 ... directlink
Walther

Post by Walther »

The GD guns teams in the thick of it :)

Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Well, we got it under our belts. We kept it low key due to the need to avoid any silliness that might ensue when taking on an event previously run by others and so first of all I would like to thank sincerely the mature and resposnsible elements of WWIILHA and to assure them of a warm and genuine invitation to contribute in 2012 should they wish to do so. We think that we both took the right approach to the change in stewardship of this event. Everyone bar one individual that is and by communicating between each other, that individual was largely neutered. It is my hope that WWIILHA now goes further and applies a lasting solution to the problem.
GD RECON of WWIILHA contributed and did a sterling job. We are pleased to have had their input and it made a difference. Their problem with the water came not from Museum staff but from volunteers who in some cases can be a little "officious". For my part I was told numerous tales of the attitudes of the museum and how bolshy they can be etc. I have nothing but praise for them. We asked for much and we got it. We dug their field up and they let us. We chewed up the grass in front of the museum director and he joked with us about it!
We enjoyed working with the museum and EVERYBODY CONNECTED WITH IT. The event stretched us. If it hadn't then it would have been crap. We filled the space they gave us. We had some brilliant people come and support us. We did our best and it paid off.
There were so many good moments and so few bad ones. We managed to solve everyone's problems and overall produced a tight, old school event. Lot's of hard work. Would I do it again? You bet!

Personally I want to thank all of you. I want to say I met old friends, made new ones and strengthened existing ones. Tankfest for me was exhausting. For my close friends who crewed it with me and for me it was exhausting. I can't achieve anything without them and I love them to bits and want to publicly express that. Thankyou Emma, Richard, Stig, Bryn and Karl. Bobby Fleming who has at times been like a dad to me and Dave Main of North Coast Armouries. Tankfest for me was a dream. I always wanted to visit Bov and never ever thought I'd make a contribution to the museum.

From an AFRA point of view we are pleased that we proved we have the people, the resources. The drive and the co-operation to pull this off. Our method of working and our ethos is such that we are overcoming traditional restrictions and allowing people to work together like never before. We are prepared to work with anyone who honestly, openly, and genuinely want to create experiences like Tankfest.

Once again THANK YOU to all who came and enjoyed Tankfest 2011. See you all next year.
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Top stuff Paul. Really glad it worked out well for you and the rest of the gang. I know you've all been working your bollocks off in the lead up to it and it looks like it paid off. Hopefully this is an event that will only go from strength to strength and see the bond between museum and L/H get stronger with each event. Bravo guys and girls.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

FMROMMEL

Post by FMROMMEL »

To Paul and his AFRA helpers, WELL DONE!

I have seen the YOUtube Footage and seen loads of the pictures that have been taken, and I can say hand of heart and with a Yorkshire accent "you did a grand job".
The sighting of the Living history was difficult, but you managed it very well, the Pyro effects on the battlefield both days where outstanding, and the bill from the camp commanders for his replacement windows will be in the post tonight. :lol:
I know you will also have learnt a thing or two about this event.
I could see that you put a lot of effort into getting the best groups around that where available, many of which had been to Bovington on previous occasions with us. I too look forward to your efforts in 2012, that being the 10th anniversary of the start of TankFest.
http://www.forceschildrenstrust.org
The Forces Children’s Trust is helping dependent children that have lost a parent whilst serving with UK Armed Forces.
BaggyPants

Post by BaggyPants »

Walther wrote:The GD guns teams in the thick of it :)

Believe it or not, Neil, those are the smaller barrage chargers, a quarter of the size of the five that started it :shock:
Walther

Post by Walther »

Good bangs Bryn. I never saw them properly as I was behind the berm but I felt them go off. Good to actually see the power and effect of them from this perspective.

Showed this picture to my Mrs tonight and she was like "are you sure this is all safe and they know what they're doing?" :)

Some good pics coming along so far...

Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef

BaggyPants

Post by BaggyPants »

Walther wrote:Good bangs Bryn. I never saw them properly as I was behind the berm but I felt them go off. Good to actually see the power and effect of them from this perspective.

Showed this picture to my Mrs tonight and she was like "are you sure this is all safe and they know what they're doing?" :)
:lol: You can tell her that the bloke firing them was only twenty feet away from the last one. I never really saw them myself, mate, because I was concentrating on the firing box to get the nice random staggers :D
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

A few from TFH.....
Attachments
CIMG8670.JPG
CIMG8670.JPG (194.94 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
CIMG8668.JPG
CIMG8668.JPG (208.16 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
CIMG8663.JPG
CIMG8663.JPG (156.68 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

and
Attachments
CIMG8753.JPG
CIMG8753.JPG (153.87 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
CIMG8696.JPG
CIMG8696.JPG (200.88 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
CIMG8676.JPG
CIMG8676.JPG (207.63 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

:D
Attachments
CIMG8763.JPG
CIMG8763.JPG (197.37 KiB) Viewed 5497 times

Return to “UK reenactment and events”