taking over of shows

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
les hearn

Re: taking over of shows

Post by les hearn »

oops
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Aha!
the veil lifts gradually - i.e. I see more clearly.

So this is really a case of broken "promises" from the railway and a sharp individual exploiting division.

I can see where the marque would be charged ground rent..... thus bringing in revenue for the railway.
Should a dance or anything be held I would expect the railway takes a per head percentage so more revenue.
The organiser is therefore taking the risk and looking for a return (organiser being new person)

The main wrankle you have is the discussion that the tent would be addressed and room found for you to display.
As for the financial incentive for groups to attend - Is this a flat fee or is it a negotiable gig? If so you could put in for the battle and charge accordingly to cover costs.

When I say re-enactors cost organisers money - Re-enactors are an attraction to the show. They don't produce anything or directly generate income. They come along, set up their display and the public gawp at, talk to and photograph them. The space they take up needs in some cases to be rented - that's a cost. The ground they occupy could be used for trade stands - that lack of revenue is a cost. Re-enactors need toilets, water, various amenities which vary from venue to venue. Cost. The organiser wants them to put a battle on so must pay for pyrotechnics, ammunition, firearms etc. Cost. A group may have a large, interesting vehicle and want/need help with transport. Cost. So whilst we bring in the public we are a cost to the venue. Would be far easier to rent the space to a funfair and let the public spend their pennies on that.

Odd isn't it - money seems to be a factor when really we are hobbyists. Money is always the potential ruin of many good things and if we become pre-occupied with it then it spoils the purity (if there is any left) of our pastime.

Interesting hypotheses to contemplate though Les. Thanks for putting it into my consciousness at least. :wink:
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

Considering that WW1 & WW2 groups rarely charge for their services (unlike other period groups some of whom charge ridiculous amounts of money for a weekend show!) PD has hit the nail right on the head with his response.

We are a "cost" to some organisers and with things the way they are at present its no surprise the owners of venues will be taken in by the "sales pitch" of some inspiring individual who will say "I can make you £XXX next year.

Is it right?
Only if it makes the show a huge success the new organiser asks a courtesy "would you mind?" to the previous group and a great deal of thanks given to those that did the groundwork over the years.
Never Surrender. Your Honour lies in victory or death
dagda

Post by dagda »

Where else would you get a load of gobshites turn up with a load rare/expensive/time consuming kit/vehicles, pay them **** all, let them accrue all their own expenses and make money out of them! Alll the facilities have to be provided regardless, so its a non argument! We do it because we enjoy it !
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Return to “UK reenactment and events”